Training Camp 2018 discussion

Danand

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/08/04/camp-notes/mark-andrews-justin-tucker/

The Ravens took the field under sunny skies on Saturday morning in Owings Mills.

The first thing that stood out to me was how dominant the TE position looked. Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews practiced for the first time simultaneously and the product was excellent. Passes from Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson into double coverage were hauled in by both TEs, much to the shock and awe of the crowd. I haven’t seen anything like that since Todd Heap was in town. Hurst also burned Jimmy Smith and C.J. Mosley for about a 15-yard gain in the middle of the field.

All aboard the 2018 Flacco hype train! It was my first time seeing him in person this camp, and he was impressive as advertised. Joe fit passes into tight windows and was spreading the ball around for a majority of practice. It is clear, though, that his favorites are Hurst and WR John Brown, with whom Flacco executed difficult sideline and back shoulder passes.

Sounds like Jefferson has a pull. Chuck Clark has been receiving all the 1st team reps. Harbaugh said there's no need to rush things with Jefferson. Yea...I bet there isn't. Inundating a rapidly ascending young player with valuable reps can really make you appreciate the recovery process.

4 minutes ago, Danand said:

Otherwise I believe he could be a trade option.

100%. We could package him, Carl Davis, ZDS, and maybe even Brandon Carr depending, and get a strong strong player in return. I'd love it if we could net Earl Thomas somehow. 

Either way I think he and Weddle are gone next year. Mosley too if he doesn't have an amazing season. I'm just so sick of those guys getting broken. We aren't going to pay Mosley 15+ to only excel in zone coverage, while suffering in man, against the run, and show poor tackling all together. Marlon and Tavon are more knock back than those clowns. 

I would still prefer to keep Carr. By week 8-9 we most likely have an either IR'ed og semiinjured Jimmy Smith and an injured backup, and then Carr is a proven veteran who can do a lot except covering Antonio Brown.

Z. Smith I think would be very wise to keep as he relieves the dline when he is on the field and he has inside/outside flexibility and plays a lot of special teams. I see Carl Davis as the most likely trade option not named Robert Griffin.

Some team which need a backup QB will take a good long look at RGIII after the 3rd pre season game if RGIII performs I believe.

While I also think Jefferson could be traded for a player, I believe we are so cap strained looking forward, that we are more interested in roster cuts at the RB, ILB positions.

11 minutes ago, Danand said:

I would still prefer to keep Carr. By week 8-9 we most likely have an either IR'ed og semiinjured Jimmy Smith and an injured backup, and then Carr is a proven veteran who can do a lot except covering Antonio Brown.

Sadly true. Jimmy's health can't be counted on. At least we have Tavon back this year though.

The three most consistent notes I've read about our training camp this season- 

1. Flacco-Brown connections

2. Tavon Young shutting down the slot

3. Flacco-Crabtree connections

Apparently Young is on a pick streak right now in practice too. From today's notes- https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/8/5/17653280/ravens-training-camp-highlights-lowlights-8-5-18-suggs-rgiii-lasley-young-humphrey

-Another day, another Tavon Young interception. Yes, I’m just copying and pasting this because he did it yet again. It was also against Janarion Grant, who bobbled the pass before Young made the play. It’s a shame fans won’t be able to see extensive starting defensive play for another month, because Tavon’s bullied the slot on a daily basis.-

The football gods need to let the Smith-Young-Humphrey trio be healthy for at least one game. Hopefully 19 though :ph34r:.

41 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Actual NFL offenses are going to struggle against that defense this year - even without Donald on the field. Of course our offense isn't going to do anything.

I heard the 2nd and 3rd string o line specifically struggled

Archived