Training Camp 2018 discussion

Danand

Harbaugh was clearly on edge after the practice was over. He wasn't happy. A reporter asked about how good the deep ball has looked and he said "Let's complement the deep ball when we complete them in games okay". I don't think he liked the new young coach coming in with his team and preventing the Raven's offense from doing much. Everything has been positive throughout camp, but this was a taste of a playoff team and the first real look at the Ravens falling short in some regard. John's reaction to it was telling. He looked crazed and extremely agitated, even saying he wanted to get back into the offices immediately to review the tape and see what needs fixed. Johnny boy knows if the Ravens don't make the playoffs this year, it's curtains. 

I'm glad he's uncomfortable and I'm glad the offense got dealt this blow. Both will fuel improvement and get this team to where it needs to be. 

Camp split up into team drills around an hour and a half in. The Rams defensive line put heavy pressure on Matt Skura, specifically when he played center. Ndamukong Suh had a field day, pushing Skura past the “quarterback” and chucking him aside. Skura has recently had trouble snapping as well with a few snaps sailing high or falling too low.

On the other hand, Alex Lewis was able to handle Suh, Michael Brockers and Chunky Clements. Clements would later shake the duo of Bradley Bozeman and Jermaine Eluemunor. The two offensive linemen had trouble with the speed rush throughout the day. Nico Siragusa looked sturdy at center, making solid snaps and stepping powerfully towards the defensive line. He didn’t have much trouble against the second-team defensive line.

The biggest key of the day was the collapsed pocket. All four quarterbacks dealt with the pocket breaking down, especially the second- and third- teams. It was especially evident in Griffin and Jackson’s two-minute drills, where neither could muster a first down. The right side of the line had some issues, with the Rams getting their hands up to tip passes.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/8/6/17658486/ravens-rams-joint-practice-highlights-8-6-18-jared-goff-joe-flacco-sean-mcvay-john-harbaugh

I really hope Siragusa can emerge. Stanley-Lewis-Siragusa-Yanda-Brown Jr.    Alex Lewis will be better at guard.

you think Lewis will be better then Hurst at LG? i hope he mans the C spot tbh and personally see Hurst as starting LG, he did well last year.

from all reports i read Lewis is the best option thus far.

and quite frankly, every team will have problems with inside rush from that DLine. as you already mentioned, good training to have for the OLine to see what facing a top unit looks like.

9 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

you think Lewis will be better then Hurst at LG? i hope he mans the C spot tbh and personally see Hurst as starting LG, he did well last year.

from all reports i read Lewis is the best option thus far.

and quite frankly, every team will have problems with inside rush from that DLine. as you already mentioned, good training to have for the OLine to see what facing a top unit looks like.

yea ideally we have Stanley-Hurst-Lewis-Yanda-Brown

If we can avoid going back to a center with a questionable anchor, then I want to. Sirgusa offers the best shot at that, with Bozeman coming in second. Now I read varying reports about just how well Nico did today and he certainly didn't look fully recovered from his injury during the HOF game. Still though, I'd like to see him get some looks. Lewis played good at LG his rookie year, but I don't see him being a plus run asset or anchor for the middle of the line. Let's try and let him play at his natural position.

James Hurst is a passable player that can do some things well, but long term isn't someone I want starting. I'm sure Alex Lewis will get injured at some point too. So all of these guys are going to need to step up their game and be ready. 

Siragusa is close to 1,5 year away from playing in pads. Either he isn't at full health yet, or he has to learn to trust his knee and get into playing shape. I don't think we should count him out yet, as the coaching staff might ease him back in.

If anything, the Gino Gradkowski experiment and having Zuttah in anything but a zone blocking system taught us, that we need that anchor in the middle. Otherwise, pressure directly up the middle kills us (as well as any offense).

The oline takes time to gel, and we are (once again which is something I think is utterly stupid) trying to figure out the constellation of personel. We have to essentially find 3 new starters on the oline where 2 of them could end up being rookies. Thats rarely a recipe for succes.

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

The oline takes time to gel, and we are (once again which is something I think is utterly stupid) trying to figure out the constellation of personel. We have to essentially find 3 new starters on the oline where 2 of them could end up being rookies. Thats rarely a recipe for succes.

The trickle down effect isn't kind either. LJ8 is getting reps with utter scrubs. 

Tyus Bowser came back to practice on Saturday, but now has again been out for two straight. He hasn't practiced for more than one day in a row. Obviously he's dealing with something, which is unfortunate considering the rave reviews he's been given when out there. We'll need him during the season, he's our best coverage linebacker and brings explosive and relentless pass rush. This has opened the door for Kamalei to get more reps though and he's certainly taken advantage. Just as Tony Jefferson's injury will now provide Chuck Clark and DeShon Elliot more time.

Injuries are horrible and you don't want them at all, but when they do inevitably occur it's better to have them at positions where you're deepest. Which luckily when it comes to OLB and SS, we are.

Archived