Training Camp 2018 discussion

Danand

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Imo Skura has removed himself from the conversation at Center. He doesn't have the anchor to play the position, starting him there would signal some grand incompetence. So if the team doesn't want to play Alex Lewis at Center, that leaves Bozeman and Siragusa. Nico hasn't played any real time at Center in game, so Boze is the obvious favorite but his movement issues will limit what we can do the run game. 

lol Never mind. I just watched Harbuagh's presser from today and he said "Bozeman is competing for a roster spot, not for the starting job like some people have said". John was really agitated at the presser for some reason, one of his bad days, and wasn't mincing words. 

That leaves the only possible OL lineups as-

1. Ideal: Stanley- Hurst- Lewis- Yanda- Brown Jr.

2. Meh: Stanley- Lewis- Skura- Yanda- Brown Jr.

3. Worst: Stanley- Lewis- Skura- Yanda- Hurst

With this team's stupid propensity for giving under performing veterans continued shots, especially at positions that aren't a good/natural fit, it honestly wouldn't shock me to see #3.

Harbaugh has downplayed Kenny Young and tried to dismiss the competition between he and Peanut enough that I don't think Young has any shot at starting the season either. It's the same pattern, Kenny has a strong game, everyone praises him, and then we get the "Well he is a rookie" "It's good that he's even being mentioned alongside Patrick" BS from Harbaugh. 

Then once we've seen Peanut blow enough coverage assignments and Skura pushed into Flacco's knees enough times. The appropriate shifts will be made, because why make it easy on ourselves early right? 

It's not surprising that Harbaugh loved Pees, they share the same counterproductive philosophies when it comes to lineups. Let's all remember how Marlon didn't start until Jimmy went down with an injury and all the other questionable decisions that likely robbed us of wins and only necessity forced change upon.

Luckily the team is talented enough to mitigate the damage of some poor decisions this year, but it would be nice to not be put in that position.

50 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

With this team's stupid propensity for giving under performing veterans continued shots

Its been well known for years now that Harbs significantly favours veteran players over rookies so his downplaying of Bozeman and Kenny Young shouldn't be surprising

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would that be a certainty?

Almost certain =/= "a certainty" ;)

The first 4 are obvious, I don't see the FO cutting a rookie drafted as high as Lasley was before his rookie season even started and Grant is head and shoulders better than White as a returner

Or... Stanley / Lewis / Yanda / Hurst / Brown Jr.

No, I don't see it happening but it's probably the best lineup they could throw out there. Assuming Yanda can do center things he's going to be elite anywhere inside. And if Hurst can handle RG like he did LG then the line actually looks fairly good. 

Otherwise my hope is for Siragusa to get the nod at center. Throw him to the fire and see what happens. I'm not enthused about Skura at all. If you can't anchor at center, you can't play center. Especially with the way the Ravens/Harbaugh wants them to run the ball. Just can't can't happen. Doesn't matter what defense the team is lining up against. 

Bozeman is really meh to me. Not bad, not great. He's stout enough for the position but that's about it. If anything has to happen in space forget about it. 

Which leads me to Siragusa. The guy coming off a major injury from a year ago that is a conversion project. Not something I'm a big fan of but given the other likely options I'll take it. If Yanda can't/won't play center then whatever guy the team ends up choosing is going to be a risk in one way or another. Might as well go for the high-upside play. 

On a related note, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about the team trying Hurst at center. 

24 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

that is so sad. for a team to call that guy the best prospect they had at WR in years.

smh.

Eh. The maturity issues and focus drops are undesired realities, but this level of production against legit competition by a 20-21 year old WR would stand tall on most team's prospect lineage. 

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Career UCLA         113 1901 16.8 14 4 -6 -1.5 0 117 1895 16.2 14
*2015 UCLA Pac-12 FR WR 3 3 17 5.7 0 0 0   0 3 17 5.7 0
2016 UCLA Pac-12 SO WR 11 41 620 15.1 5 0 0   0 41 620 15.1 5
*2017 UCLA Pac-12 JR WR 9 69 1264 18.3 9 4 -6 -1.5 0 73 1258 17.2 9

I think he's the best WR prospect we've ever had. His college tape is way better than Torrey or Breshad's and his game translates more than Clayton's. He would've been an early round pick if not for maturity/off field concerns. He's already shown the kind of ability that would warrant an early round selection too. Whether it's stretches of dominance in camp and practice, beating Marcus Peters multiple times in our scrimmages against the Rams, or what he's already done in game. He's been impressive. Even when his issues do show up, like on his infuriating dropped TD catch, you can see his talent. He got wide open on an extended play for an easy TD. Which is why he can be so frustrating, because the talent is all there. 

Considering how bad our 2nd and 3rd string lines are, and with accuracy being the biggest issue both LJ8 and RG3 have. I think our young WRs showed a good amount of promise on extremely limited opportunities. Tim White will be one of the better players on our PS, Lasley will provide strong depth, and Grant looks like he can turn into an ace return man.

I'm actually not too worried about the WR position, for the first time in a while. More than anything there's intrigue at the position for me. How will Chris Moore's continued emergence look? If John Brown continues to perform at a high level will we reward him with an extension? How large will Crabtree's target share be? All points of interest I'll be monitoring closely throughout the season.

he may have his qualities but he really is nothing to brag with. you would expect a team with >20yrs of existence would at some point in time been able to draft someone who was ready to play and contribute from the get-go.

Lasley surely is not that, and none of the aforementioned was.

thats what makes me sad.

Lasley has some upside and his skillset is exciting, but if he doesn't mature, stay healthy and catches the ball better, he could easily be a Justin Hunter. 

James Washington is almost the opposite. A lot less to be excited about, but what he did well in college is what translates in the NFL. As long as he can work the route tree and seperate, he will do well. If Lasley improves where he has to get better, he could certainly be a better player down the road.

Until then there is no reason to treat him like anything special.

best thing to happen would be DeCosta being able to find that young stud at WR and a top notch G in the first 2 rounds next year.
hell, with the cap available next year maybe take a C and get Marpet from the Bucs or someone else.

could possibly set up the O for years with both Tackles looking promising, a QB to groom and a TE who should at least have a few good years.

we may actually see a young offensive core able to stay together a few years for once.

hey guys

dont mean to derail your training camp thread but i just watched all of Lamar Jackson's snaps in the preseason and he looks pretty good. had a few Vick-esque plays vs MIA.

what are the odds of him starting during the season? Would it take a Flacco injury or would bad play get him slotted into the QB1 job. 

thanks boys

Archived