Training Camp 2018 discussion

Danand

11 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I heard only about the first throw of the day. There was more?

there is a tweet about it somewhere, but again, it doesn't mean anything. That first one didn't seem like it was on lamar jackson though. It read something like "bounced off the wide receivers hands"

Player of the Day: Anthony Averett

I have #28 underlined on my notepad six times today. He produced three pass break-ups and one ‘sack’ while only allowing two catches for less than ten yards. On one catch, he was standing in front of the receiver on a short route, which I believe wouldn’t have been completed in a hitting situation. The second reception was made by rookie wide receiver Jordan Lasley after an extended play-time. The rookie corner from Alabama looks ready for the pads to come on.

Winners:

Janarion Grant — This was a tough one to decide on for Player of the Day due to Grant’s impressive practice. As I mentioned Averett with his six highlighting plays, Grant produced four catches on four targets. Most were short receptions, but he consistently found gaps or made moves on the field. I believe he’s also in the competition for the return spot.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste — One of the big plays of the day was a battle between the corner and Lasley. A deep throw landed in the arms of both the corner and receiver. For seven yards they were muscling against one another when the ball popped out from both their arms; Jean-Baptiste jumped and plucked the ball from the air, resulting in an interception.

Patrick Onwuasor/Matt Judon — Lamar Jackson produced solid play most of the afternoon, but on this particular play ‘Peanut’ leaped up and caught the ball with his fingertips. The pigskin flew up and Judon secured the football for the interception. Plays like this keep the others at bay in the competition to play beside C.J. Mosley.

Tim White — Twice today, White hauled in deep passes. Once against Jackson Porter, but the second 30-yard plus reception occurred against Tavon Young. Unless he flops in the pre-season, expect Tim to land on the final 53-man roster.

DeVier Posey — During a two-minute drill, a deep ball down the sideline was slightly overthrown. Posey dove and was parallel to the earth as he came down with the ball. The pass was complete and the refs confirmed the reception as the chains sprinted down the sideline for the new set of downs. A few plays later, Jaleel Scott caught a red-zone touchdown.

Loser*:

* The term loser means a bad practice. Everybody has a day in which they make a mistake. This is training camp, where mistakes are supposed to happen.

Tavon Young — Not a bad practice, but the big reception allowed to Tim White coupled with the impressive practice by Anthony pushed the returning cornerback into the loser column today.

Josh Woodrum — The quarterback suffered from some bad throws late into the practice. He overthrew a tight end, underthrew the next pass and Brent Urban had a pass swat off the edge a series later.

Jordan Lasley — He fought hard, but the interception vs. Jean-Baptiste hurt. He wasn’t happy with the result of the play. Later on, he also failed to secure a pass which was near his knees. The positive, though, is he was the only player to catch a pass against Averett.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/7/20/17596228/ravens-training-camp-winners-losers-7-20-18-anthony-averett-janarion-grant-lamar-jackson

A concrete fact that has emerged to start the season- Chuck Clark is a prized player for the team.

Wink was talking him up during OTAs, but secondary coach Chris Hewitt took it to another level today. Raving about all that Chuck can do, and calling him the third starter at safety. Even going so far as to say he isn't worried in any way about injuries to either Jefferson or Weddle, because Clark can step in for both seamlessly. 

This isn't a total shock. All the analytics guys after last year's draft pointed to Chucky's athletic and production profile, easily labeling him a steal as a 6th round selection. Then during the season his STs play earned him time on defense and he took full advantage. Now all of the tape guys are all over him as well. BTW Chuck Clark just turned 23 in April, so his ceiling isn't in sight. 

Levine just signed a 3 year extension with the team last year, then turned in a great season himself. Weddle and Jefferson are also obvious locks for the roster this season, but both have offered questionable levels of play and imo aren't going to be sticking around. Maybe Jefferson bounces back under better coaching, but I think this is Weddle's last year regardless.

Which means it would be unwise to not consider DeShon Elliot a roster lock as well. Why would we risk a newly 21 year old versatile safety prospect on the PS? We wouldn't. Elliot will be carried on the roster barring some disaster preseason, and groomed to be future starter. 

The rare depth of our DB group is going to heat up the competition across the roster at other positions. 

I was late to the Chuck Clark party up till draft day, so only watched very little of him. He looked like a player who was drafted exactly where he was, as a core special teamer with some potential as a SS backup. The few plays I saw of him where he had to cover, especially in man coverage, it looked bad and he looked like he was 1-2 steps behind all the time.

IF he can improve in that area, we could have found another SS gem like a Dawan Landry in the draft. I don't know how he would fit as a free safety, but that is the weakest backup position on the team. If Weddle go down, its either Canady, Elliot or Clark who would man it. Nevertheless, it would take either injury or a complete flop form Elliot if none of Jefferson, Weddle, Clark, Levine and Elliot would make the team.

This didn't happen.....,

From RSR-

-The Ravens have done a great job of trying to re-create the McDaniel College vibe by providing more access to fans at the Under Armour Performance Center. Yet it’s difficult to mimic the rural small-town vibe of Westminster within the confines of what is now a $75 million facility. Today, I wasn’t at the field for more than 10 minutes when I was reminded of the challenge.

One elderly gentlemen came in with a big old smile on his face and a digital camera in hand with the telescopic lens fully extended. A booming voice behind me, which came from one of the S.A.F.E. Management custodians said, “Sir, no pictures!”

The man admitted that he had already taken one shot and asked the custodian if he thought it should be deleted. “Yes sir”, the custodian replied sternly.

“I’m sorry. I guess things aren’t the same as they used to be at McDaniel, are they?”, the man asked rhetorically in a rather sheepish way.-

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/07/20/camp-notes/lamar-jackson-struggles/

and this isn't true...

-The team wore shells and shorts today before a gathering that was not as big as yesterday’s crowd. Joe Flacco threw the ball well although he was limited to individual drills and did not participate in any of the scrimmaging. The live reps were distributed fairly evenly between Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin, III and Josh Woodrum. Of the three, RGIII was the best.

I talked to a few guys who cover the team regularly and each said that they didn’t think the Ravens would carry three quarterbacks. I disagree. Obviously, Jackson will stick around, but given his developmental needs, RGIII should find a place on the 53. If Flacco suffers an injury, RGIII gives the Ravens a better chance to win and that’s important for a coaching staff under scrutiny. Admittedly it’s still early, but RGIII for the moment, is the better quarterback.-

Jackson stares down receivers and the majority of his passes flutter. A few today looked like wounded ducks. That said his athleticism in undeniable.

I've never liked Tony Lombardi but he's stepping up to a newer cringe level.

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

@Danand Did you watch the Chuck Clark review in the "Raven Review" thread? Edgar from PF does great work and highlighted some of the special plays Clark made throughout last season.

I saw the clip, and it didn't surprise me. He also focused on how Clark breakdown and square up the opponent in tackle situations, which is something incredibly few at the NFL level actually does. Imo the amount of snaps is still too limited to judge upside/limitations, but I think we have a reason to be excited about him.

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Guys. Kai Nacua is the best "free" safety on the team. I really hope Martindale utilizes him this season. Let those other guys roam around in the middle of the field. 

If you can't stick with the Browns who lacked a true free safety, then it doesn't bode well. I do however remember Nacua as a guy I like either in the draft or a pre season, so I don't count him out. I just think the coaching staff are likely to go with "our own" guys.

Archived