Sign in to follow this  
turtle28

Barry Cofield arrested in Lake Mary on heroin charges

Posted (edited)

Barry Cofield arrested in Lake Mary on heroin charges after ramming police car, authorities say.

Damn, how far has he fallen? 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-barry-cofield-arrested-lake-mary-20180705-story.html

This is unbelievable to me. Barry Cofield just always struck me as a guy who had his stuff together and I didn’t think he’d do something like this. I’m guessing he’s hooked because of the pain of playing football. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Barry Cofield, 34, was arrested on charges including possession of heroin, fleeing and eluding, and aggravated assault on a police officer. He was taken to Seminole County Jail and has since posted bond.

Shortly after 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, Lake Mary police found Cofield passed out in his Cadillac Escalade near Interstate 4 and Lake Mary Boulevard, according to an arrest report. Cofield’s foot was on the brake, and the traffic light had cycled several times without his car moving.

Police spent several minutes trying to wake Cofield. As an officer tried moving his car in front of Cofield’s, the Escalade accelerated through the light, police said.

Authorities say Cofield led police on a pursuit. During the chase, Cofield’s car “did not stop, but did not take evasive manuevers to avoid me,” a Seminole County deputy wrote in an arrest report.

Deputies say Cofield side-swiped a car near Lake Mary Boulevard and International Parkway before driving away.

Authorities were able to stop Cofield’s car near a gate in the Steeple Chase subdivision. Cofield rammed a Seminole County deputy’s car as it tried blocking him in, according to an arrest report.

Deputies told Cofield to get out of his car several times without success, court documents state. He finally opened his door when a deputy began shattering his window, authorities said.

After Cofield was placed in handcuffs, deputies found two small bags with a red powdery substance inside of his pocket, authorities said. The powder tested positive for heroin, according to court documents.

Deputies noticed Cofield’s breath smelled of alcohol. He refused to submit to a sobriety test, authorities said.

Edited by turtle28

With the amount of pain pills I’m sure these guys get fed for their numerous injuries throughout their career, it’s not surprising that unfortunately some resort to heroin or alcohol. Hopefully he’s able to get well.

Yes, Tragic- get well Barry. The NFL needs to do a lot more to help the men successfully transition from player to former player. Pain Addiction combined with moving away from a career that defined their Life is very very tough. Let’s hope the NFL will focus on this important issue instead of the stupid stuff like on field demonstration rules that divide and distract the players and fans. 

21 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Yes, Tragic- get well Barry. The NFL needs to do a lot more to help the men successfully transition from player to former player. Pain Addiction combined with moving away from a career that defined their Life is very very tough. Let’s hope the NFL will focus on this important issue instead of the stupid stuff like on field demonstration rules that divide and distract the players and fans. 

Really great post, Doc, absolutely nailed it on several levels.