Does the road to Super Bowl LIII in the AFC go through......

Championshiporbust

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like we say this about Green Bay and the Chargers alot too

Yeah, we do...

Call it blind optimism. At the very least, take out some non-critical guys like Eddie Pleasant or Alfred Blue!

New England or Pittsburgh? Yes. Jacksonville takes a step back in 2018. I'm a Colts fan and think if Luck is healthy they're better this season but the road to the super bowl in the AFC will not be going through them.

On 7/7/2018 at 1:31 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Well no kidding. 95% of all teams ever are out of contention if their starting QB goes down.

Not sure what you're getting at. Although what you're saying is true.

The older Brady gets, the more of an injury risk he is. Getting weaker at backup QB makes the position a stickier one for the Patriots.

The road to the SB may be going through Jacksonville, regardless. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Not sure what you're getting at. Although what you're saying is true.

The older Brady gets, the more of an injury risk he is. Getting weaker at backup QB makes the position a stickier one for the Patriots.

The road to the SB may be going through Jacksonville, regardless. 

I understand what you're saying, but this is the same logic that created the infamous "because he might get injured" take years ago. It's a bad take. Brady has been seriously hurt one time in his entire career and that was like 10 years ago. You're acting like this is 40 year old Sam Bradford. Brady has been exceptionally durable. He's been behind some pretty bleh OL's and still manages to protect himself by getting the ball out quickly and calling the perfect protection schemes at the LOS. I think it's ridiculous to knock the Patriots because of their backup QB situation. If they still had Garoppolo as their backup you'd put the Patriots ahead of the Jaguars all of a sudden?

I'll echo the general sentiment of NE and JAX...

NE has the coaching edge, but experienced yet another year of fairly significant player turnover.

JAX has the personnel edge, but can the trifecta of Doug Marrone / Tom Couglin / Blake Bortles put together consecutive competitive seasons?

I don't think Jax defense plays to the same level as they did last year. I also don't think Watson is as effective in year 2 as everyone thinks. I also don't like Tennessee. Idk what it is about the AFC South, I'm always so low on them lol I can't even comment on Indy without knowing what level Luck will be at

New England or Pittsburgh until their QB's retire or start declining massively. 

AFC Playoff Potential

West--Still think this is top the bottom, the best division in the AFC. Any team could make a case that they are going to win the division. 3 teams could go to the playoffs from the AFCW.

• Chiefs--They are still the class of the AFCW until they get knocked off. SD can't beat them. Team should be improved defensively after a massive overhaul. QB is upgraded. WR is upgraded with a viable WR in Watkins opposite of Hill. Conley back gives them a very good #3. They have the best RB depth in football. Berry will be back.
  • Chargers-Very talented, but every year they underachieve. Rivers has HoF numbers but doesn't play that way in meaningful games it seems. 
  • Raiders--They could be #1 in the west or #4. I love Carr and if he can regain that MVP form under Gruden then look out. May not happen next year, but they have a good future IMO. 
  • Broncos--I think they made a massive mistake drafting Chubb over QB. Not saying he can't be a very good OLB but Keenum is not the answer. He's about the same QB that they had in Semian IMO. Their defense is still very good but unless Chubb is a great player for them, they won't be the same defense that they were a few years ago. They have one of the worst HC's in football.

East--New England and that's about it. Buffalo *could* sneak in.

• New England--Brady is still Brady and until this changes, they are the class of the AFC. Period.
  • Buffalo--Fringe playoff team if McCarron/Allen can be at least Tyrod Taylor. 
  • Dolphins--All their hopes are on Tannehill coming back healthy and being the QB that they envisioned when they drafted him. I don't think he will be that guy and I don't think they make it.
  • NYJs--Not this year. Wasn't a fan of Darnold but maybe he will surprise. 

South--Jacksonville and Tennessee.

• Jacksonville--Best defense in football held back by Bortles. Could be a SB contender otherwise. Defense does win championships but not with this QB.
  • Tennessee--Above average team. I'm not high on Mariota at all. I think he's just a guy. Like Alex Smith. Tyrod Taylor. Just a guy.
  • Indy will be improved but not improved enough.
  • Houston ceiling is probably .500. Watson is way overrated. His dance around and chuck hailmary style will get exposed...if his knee even holds up.

North

• Steelers--Very good roster and HoF QB at the end of his career. While I don't think he's still playing at a HoF level like Brady, he is still very good and better than a lot of QB's, especially in the AFC. 
  • Browns--You heard it hear first. They are my darkhorse playoff contender. Dorsey bought in a Just a Guy QB like they did in KC with Alex Smith to bring back some stability. They have good talent on that roster after drafting at the top of the draft for years. They could go 9-7 and maybe they will sneak in.
  • Ravens--I'm not a fan of Flacco at all. They are still an average to above average team. 9-7 to 7-9 to 4-12 if the Jackson starts (not a fan of either).
  • Bengals--Dalton is average. I love AJ Green. They have potential to upset some teams but I think they are average at best. 

3 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Idk what it is about the AFC South, I'm always so low on them

Well, probably because the Texans and Jaguas are two expansion franchises that are among the two most recent in the NFL. The Titans have relocated from Houston before and the Colts have a history of being soft defensively. The Colts also relocated from Baltimore in an abrupt fashion which may anger some people, and they struggled to win for a number of seasons. Plus, the AFC South was pretty much slapped together with the Colts coming over from the AFC East in the early 2000's. I know what you mean about the perception of the AFC South, but it's been around for a little while and is starting to establish itself more.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:34 PM, BleedTheClock said:

If they still had Garoppolo as their backup you'd put the Patriots ahead of the Jaguars all of a sudden?

Oh, for sure. Brady and Gronk are two of the best ever, but overall that team isn't incredibly strong. 

On 7/9/2018 at 5:40 PM, emaw1979 said:

Jacksonville--Best defense in football held back by Bortles. Could be a SB contender otherwise. Defense does win championships but not when the offense is this bad.

Any reason you are expecting significant regression from the 5th highest scoring team in the NFL last year?

On 7/9/2018 at 6:40 PM, emaw1979 said:

• Chiefs--They are still the class of the AFCW until they get knocked off. SD can't beat them. Team should be improved defensively after a massive overhaul. QB is upgraded. WR is upgraded with a viable WR in Watkins opposite of Hill. Conley back gives them a very good #3. They have the best RB depth in football. Berry will be back.

I really like Mahomes, but to already put him over Alex Smith is a stretch. Especially after the season Alex just had.

Archived