Jump to content
Championshiporbust

Does the road to Super Bowl LIII in the AFC go through......

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Elky said:

Beating the Colts and the Texans without Deshaun Watson is like beating up the retarded kid and thinking you're the toughest kid on the playground.

A good team dominated the teams they were suppose to beat. I don’t see your point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

A good team dominated the teams they were suppose to beat. I don’t see your point. 

It's not something worth bragging about. Indy and Houston are getting their quarterbacks back and Mariota is now a full year removed from his broken leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Why do you think that? 

Please note I don't think Jville sucks. They're a good team, but they're not going back to the AFC Championship. They could easily miss the playoffs.

1. Four of their 10 wins, 40%, came against Houston and Indy. Neither had their starting quarterbacks and have awful lines (dead last and 25th respectively per PFF). 28 of Jville's 55 sacks came in those four games. In fact, Houston and Indy would still be top 10 in sacks allowed if you took those games out. Houston and Indy are getting their franchise quarterbacks back and Marcus Mariota is now a full year removed from his leg break.

2. Blake Bortles. While he wasn't a complete trainwreck, he's still very inconsistent and remains a liability. The amount of distrust towards him in the AFC Championship speaks volumes.

Edited by Elky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defensively Denver could be dangerous but Im not sold on their offense.

Indy? Cmon now.....

Houston, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville are the top teams not named NE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Elky said:

Please note I don't think Jville sucks. They're a good team, but they're not going back to the AFC Championship. They could easily miss the playoffs.

1. Four of their 10 wins, 40%, came against Houston and Indy. Neither had their starting quarterbacks and have awful lines (dead last and 25th respectively per PFF). 28 of Jville's 55 sacks came in those four games. In fact, Houston and Indy would still be top 10 in sacks allowed if you took those games out. Houston and Indy are getting their franchise quarterbacks back and Marcus Mariota is now a full year removed from his leg break.

2. Blake Bortles. While he wasn't a complete trainwreck, he's still very inconsistent and remains a liability. The amount of distrust towards him in the AFC Championship speaks volumes.

The Jags beat a healthy Texans team week 1.....

It wasn’t all about sacks. They Jags consistently got pressure just using their front 4 because they have one of the best D-Line’s in the NFL.

The Jags went conservative in the AFCCG because of the O-Line/receivers, not Bortles. He was playing fine:

Bortles was throwing to Lee, an UDFA, UDFA, rookie that missed 9 games and the slowest TE in the NFL. Who had a worse receiving core last year?

With the addition of Moncrief, Chark, ASJ, Cole/Dede not being rooks, Grant being used more, Norwell on the O-Line and another year in Hackett’s system, Blake will take that next step.

Edited by KhanYouDigIt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The Jags beat a healthy Texans team week 1.....

It wasn’t all about sacks. They Jags consistently got pressure just using their front 4 because they have one of the best D-Line’s in the NFL.

The Jags went conservative in the AFCCG because of the O-Line/receivers, not Bortles. He was playing fine:

Bortles was throwing to Lee, an UDFA, UDFA, rookie that missed 9 games and the slowest TE in the NFL. Who had a worse receiving core last year?

With the addition of Moncrief, Chark, ASJ Cole/Dede not being rooks, Grant being used more, Norwell on the O-Line and another year in Hackett’s system, Blake will take that next step.

They played against Tom Savage week 1.

Edited by Elky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

And Deshaun.

...who wasn't prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 11:31 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Well no kidding. 95% of all teams ever are out of contention if their starting QB goes down.

Absolutely agree. Look no further than last year's Philadelphia Eagles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Absolutely agree. Look no further than last year's Philadelphia Eagles. 

Cool. A thing like that happened once...maybe twice ever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/07/2018 at 9:11 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

And Deshaun.

The Texans punted on their first four possessions, and the fifth one ended when Savage fumbled on a sack by Yannick Ngakoue and the Jaguars recovered the ball.

Fournette, who was the fourth overall pick in this year's draft, added his 1-yard touchdown after that, but the kick failed, leaving Jacksonville up 12-0.

Savage was sacked six times in the first half, playing behind a line without veteran left tackle Duane Brown, who is holding out. The Texans were also without receivers Will Fuller, who has a broken collarbone, and Jaelen Strong, who served a one-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Ngakoue picked up the last sack of the half, stripping the ball as he pulled Savage down. Fowler scooped it up and dashed for the score to make it 19-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say it year after year but this NE team is lacking.  Brady can only do so much even though they should put up points with that offense as long as the OL can block for the 2 secs Brady holds onto the ball.

To answer your question yes unless JAC gets a upgrade at QB (A-Rob could have helped them) it runs through NE still.  Not sold on Watson yet, need to see him in year two but they have a chance if he picks up where he left off because they have the balance to be really good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:
On 7/7/2018 at 2:31 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Well no kidding. 95% of all teams ever are out of contention if their starting QB goes down.

Absolutely agree. Look no further than last year's Philadelphia Eagles. 

62.5% of the teams are out of contention by default by not making the playoffs. You could argue it's more like 75%. Of the playoff teams last year:

Patriots
Steelers
Titans
Chiefs
Falcons
Rams
Panthers
Saints
Bills

These 9 would not compete with the backup QB. Mahomes was not ready and the Chiefs lost anyway with the starter.

MAYBE

Jaguars

You could argue that the backup would do a comparable job to Bortles, but I would say no. 

That leaves you with 2 teams, which is 6.25% of the NFL.

Eagles
Vikings

I don't think @BleedTheClock is that out of place with what he said. The Eagles are in a situation where they had a great coaching staff and a starting caliber QB at backup. The Vikings were in a very unique situation, highlighted by the fact that they got rid of all 3 QBs and now have 3 new ones. 

There are teams where the backup is as good as the starter, like possibly Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo and the Jets this year, but none of them are in contention for anything anyways. 
 

Edited by JBURGE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 3:13 PM, Elky said:
On 7/13/2018 at 3:11 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

And Deshaun.

...who wasn't prepared.

Pretty much. He hadn't taken a single snap with the 1st team all preseason, and was rushed into the game after Tom Savage proved he wasn't ready for the gig. 

His following outings was with proper preparation with the first team, and we saw the results - highest scoring offense in the NFL, with 19 TDs in a 5 game span.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×