mdonnelly21

Which QB  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Best QB Amongst

• Steve Young
    • Drew Brees
    • Dan Marino
    • Brett Favre

Favre won 3 MVP's in a row to go with a SB, that's dominant to win 3 in a ROW.

Although I think Favre's career would have looked on average a lot more like his year with Minnesota then his years with GB. Less huge plays, but more efficient and less Turnover prone. 

Drew Brees has past for over 5,000 yards in a pass happy league. I think Dan Marino would have never went under 5,000 if he was in his ERA and would have maybe even hit 6,000. 

Young did lead the league several times in passer rating. I think he would be a slightly lesser version in every area then what Aaron Rodgers is today. 

Dan Marino. He’s the greatest player to never win a super bowl and put up ridiculous stats when they were basically unheard of. The only reason he’s never ranked higher is because he doesn’t have a ring. 

Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl because he never could transfer his regular season successes into the postseason; he was a choke artist. In fact, my dad told me that the 1986 AFC Championship WAS the Super Bowl as far as Pats fans were concerned.

Brees 101 fumbles, 228 interceptions, 66.9%, 448 (506 total) TD, 249 regular games played, 70445 pass yards, 1 Super Bowl

Marino 110 fumbles, 252 interceptions, 59.4%, 420 (429 total) TD, 242 regular games played, 61361 pass yards

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Brees 101 fumbles, 228 interceptions, 66.9%, 448 (506 total) TD, 249 regular games played, 70445 pass yards, 1 Super Bowl

Marino 110 fumbles, 252 interceptions, 59.4%, 420 (429 total) TD, 242 regular games played, 61361 pass yards

This is sort of misleading given the eras they each played in. But the Super Bowl is pretty significant given the position being talked about is QB.

1. Young. 2. Brees. 3. Favre. 4. Marino

Marino had the best release and pocket presence, but a low IQ. He was so talented that he was basically the only QB who was able to truly succeed despite being dumber than a second coat of paint, but in the end, QB is mostly a mental position, and it was his lack of brains that kept him from reaching his physical potential as a QB. He won't get sacked, but you would rather him get sacked a few more times than have the INTs and the incomplete passes from his limited awareness. 

Favre was insanely talented and wasn't quite as dumb as Marino, though you had to live with the downside of his rebellious attitude. What sets him apart is his red zone play. He was the greatest ad-libber in history. In situations where your team would otherwise kick a field goal, he gets you a touchdown. 

Brees and Young have some issues that pop up every now and then that stem from their lack of height, but they're probably the two most accurate passers to ever play. Brees has really stepped up in the postseason, too, and simply been unlucky. He's a warrior. And I think the Saints just put too much on him in expecting him to pass 650 times per year. They're so much better when they actually have a little bit of balance with a running game. 

Things that are considered "difficult" passes today are passes Young could make with his eyes closed. It was nothing to him to throw someone open. But interestingly, he was far more accurate intermediate-to-deep than he was short. He had a tendency to sail the close range stuff. You also had to live with some rough failed ad-libs, but at least his ad-libs didn't usually result in interceptions the way they did with Favre. 

10 hours ago, Danger said:

This is sort of misleading given the eras they each played in. But the Super Bowl is pretty significant given the position being talked about is QB.

Era's, yeah, but in seven more games to have over 8500 more passing yards is striking. It's not like Marino was playing in the fifties, sixties, and seventies. His last season was 1999. I think Marino was a great quarterback but Brees is even better.

3 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

You also had to live with some rough failed ad-libs, but at least his ad-libs didn't usually result in interceptions the way they did with Favre. 

That was the only thing about Young. He was sacked or would take a lot of sacks. His interception numbers were always low but his rate of fumbling was a little high. Young also played in the least amount of games of all the quarterbacks in the poll. That said, every good thing Young did outweighs the bad. Touchdowns galore; great ratio against turnovers, and consistent year to year. Plus, several Super Bowl wins including clutch plays along the way, an ability to assimilate to the changing people and schemes around him, and integrating everything together that was implemented to its highest potential.

Archived