mdonnelly21

Which QB  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Best QB Amongst

• Steve Young
    • Drew Brees
    • Dan Marino
    • Brett Favre

Overall Talent?  Dan Marino, hands down.

To completely run the offense?  Drew Brees

Needing a go big or go home play?  Brett Favre

Needing a guy that can run your offense efficiently and at a high level while limiting turnovers?  Steve Young

Am I doing it right?

I can remember like a four or five year stretch where Favre's team (mostly the Packers) went out in the playoffs every season on a fourth-quarter interception thrown by Favre that killed the game for them.

I know he was a great talent and all but if he wasn't the aw shucks down home country boy gunslinger Brett Favre who everyone loves, that would have killed his reputation as an all time great. People just ignore that that happened.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:23 AM, Superduperman said:

I can remember like a four or five year stretch where Favre's team (mostly the Packers) went out in the playoffs every season on a fourth-quarter interception thrown by Favre that killed the game for them.

I know he was a great talent and all but if he wasn't the aw shucks down home country boy gunslinger Brett Favre who everyone loves, that would have killed his reputation as an all time great. People just ignore that that happened.

I suspect a lot of Favre's problems were the result of playing with injuries he shouldn't have. He was so insistent on keeping his consecutive starts streak going that he ended up arguably hurting his team more than just letting the backup take over. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 9:00 AM, Pugger said:

Plus he played before the others in this poll when passing rules were different.  I suspect he'd be a terror for defenses if he was playing today.

How did Marino play with different passing rules to Young?  And Favre's prime was the 90s...

It's between Young and Brees for me.  My bias chooses Brees.

Favre just gets too trigger happy and dumb.  Brees worst tendencies are magnified by Favre, and Favre doesn't have enough upside to compensate, imo.

Marino is a tough one.  I'd take him over Favre, but not the other two.

While saying this, I think all four are close, and it can come to down to personal opinion.

If I'm starting a team from scratch I'm taking Steve Young. I'm not sure there was ever a more talented dude who played the position until Rodgers came along. 

But if I'm taking their actual careers into the equation, it's probably Brees. He has the ring and will retire with all the stats anybody could ask for. Marino was great, arguably the best/quickest release of all time, had the stats, had the longevity, just didn't have the playoff success. Favre had the stats, the ring, and the MVP's, but had a tendency to be reckless. Young was the total package IMO but his prime was too short.   

• 4 months later...

On 7/9/2018 at 8:14 AM, DoleINGout said:

That was the only thing about Young. He was sacked or would take a lot of sacks. His interception numbers were always low but his rate of fumbling was a little high. Young also played in the least amount of games of all the quarterbacks in the poll. That said, every good thing Young did outweighs the bad. Touchdowns galore; great ratio against turnovers, and consistent year to year. Plus, several Super Bowl wins including clutch plays along the way, an ability to assimilate to the changing people and schemes around him, and integrating everything together that was implemented to its highest potential.

He was the starter in only 1 SB, but I think it's fair to point out that the 9ers may not make the playoffs in '88 without his phenomenal, game-winning 49 yd td run vs Minnesota in week 9. 

(as an aside, the 88 49ers have two of my all-time favourite runs - Young's vs Minny, and Roger Craig's 46 yd td run at LA in week 7)

Archived