Best Group In Football

Shady Slim

13 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Criticism is equal across unjts, teams, players, everyone for me, regardless. Michel is noteworthy for his talent but longterm I'm not so certain due to his supposed medical prognosis. James White is a good third down back. Rex Burkhead can play special teams well in addition to being a respectable runner and receiver in a shared role. Jeremy Hill, if he is on the team, will probably be a late game finisher when the team is ahead.

You put the unit in a negative light when it fits your argument but contradict yourself in another thread a week later.

Michel's longterm availability has nothing to do with Brady next season, but I digress. That's a discussion for another thread. 

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You put the unit in a negative light when it fits your argument but contradict yourself in another thread a week later.

Michel's longterm availability has nothing to do with Brady next season, but I digress. That's a discussion for another thread. 

Aside from Michel longterm, the only criticism I've made about the Patriots backs is their lack of experience. In terms of ability, there is no contradicting; they're one of the more well-rounded units in the NFL.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

The lone starter represents more for the whole group than the 3rd/4th RB should.

I would agree but neither Henry or Lewis is a lone starter. Together they are a good combo but two guys doesn't equate to a unit to me. If a unit is just looking at the lone starter and the backup, then yes, the Titans would rank at or near the top at this point.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Even more so at a position like offensive line when the starters play every snap.

The offensive line is comprised of five people working together so I would classify them as a unit looking just at the starters. The more depth behind the starting offensive line the stronger the unit.

7 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Aside from Michel longterm, the only criticism I've made about the Patriots backs is their lack of experience. In terms of ability, there is no contradicting; they're one of the more well-rounded units in the NFL.

So one of the most well-rounded units in the league with a lack of experience is a detriment to Brady's 2018/2019 season?

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I would agree but neither Henry or Lewis is a lone starter. Together they are a good combo but two guys doesn't equate to a unit to me. If a unit is just looking at the lone starter and the backup, then yes, the Titans would rank at or near the top at this point.

The offensive line is comprised of five people working together so I would classify them as a unit looking just at the starters. The more depth behind the starting offensive line the stronger the unit.

That's not what I'm saying. The starter to 3rd string back comparison was just an example, which I thought was self-evident. I'm just saying the top two backs on the roster, which most teams deploy offensively on Sundays, should garner far more weight in these unit comparison threads than the value of the whole. Starters and backups who never see the field shouldn't be equated equally.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

So one of the most well-rounded units in the league with a lack of experience is a detriment to Brady's 2018/2019 season?

Lack of experience in combination with Brady hypocritically skipping OTA's is a detriment to the team. Like you said, separate thread. By conflating the reasoning for two separate discussions it can seem lost what the topic at hand is about.

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's not what I'm saying. The starter to 3rd string back comparison was just an example, which I thought was self-evident. I'm just saying the top two backs on the roster, which most teams deploy offensively on Sundays, should garner far more weight in these unit comparison threads than the value of the whole. Starters and backups who never see the field shouldn't be equated equally.

The offensive line is a good example of what you're saying which I agree with for the most part. However, the group of running backs are deployed randomly up to three guys deep for a majority of teams. Throughout the course of a season, it is important for teams to have more than just one backup that is capable. In the case of the Tennesee Titans, I'm not sure Akrum Wadley, for example, is yet a quality backup. Same with the Atlanta Falcons; their top two guys play a lot but Ito Smith hasn't really convinced me yet of anything. If Freeman goes down, Coleman will start but the Falcons will still need to spell him with another back. The Jaguars, Eagles and Seahawks are three teams last season that all had at least three running backs contribute at any given time like the Patriots. Those are groups, not pairs, that I consider in this discussion.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

The offensive line is a good example of what you're saying which I agree with for the most part. However, the group of running backs are deployed randomly up to three guys deep for a majority of teams. Throughout the course of a season, it is important for teams to have more than just one backup that is capable. In the case of the Tennesee Titans, I'm not sure Akrum Wadley, for example, is yet a quality backup. Same with the Atlanta Falcons; their top two guys play a lot but Ito Smith hasn't really convinced me yet of anything. If Freeman goes down, Coleman will start but the Falcons will still need to spell him with another back. The Jaguars, Eagles and Seahawks are three teams last season that all had at least three running backs contribute at any given time like the Patriots. Those are groups, not pairs, that I consider in this discussion.

Fair enough. That makes sense. 

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Interesting. What chu think about Danny Etling? Could be a decent backup but most people on here at least disliked him based on LSU games. Hoyer isn't very reliable as a backup.

Has talent, and the right mentor, we'll see. But I wouldn't count on it.

Archived