Who would you rather have to win a SB in 2012, Peterson or Rodgers?

patriotsheatyan

3 hours ago, MathMan said:

aaron rodgers.

quite clearly, i think

Probably.  

For the purpose of the thought exercise I think the jump from the #16/17 QB to the best (or among the top-2/3) is larger w/r/t SB competition than the jump from the #16/17 RB to the best.  If the premise was that the team had an all-time great defense, the question might get closer due to play style, but I think Rodgers is still the answer decisively.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nobody is taking Adrian Peterson over Rodgers.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

QB > RB. No questions asked. 

You are both probably right, but I thought I would give the question a little more credit and think if the situation provided has any bearing.

Again, I think it's Rodgers no matter what.

Just now, sp6488 said:

You are both probably right, but I thought I would give the question a little more credit and think if the situation provided has any bearing.

Again, I think it's Rodgers no matter what.

If ever there was a RB you'd consider in this scenario, it would be AP. (Or LaDanian Tomlinson, 2004ish).

But an elite QB improves EVERYTHING about your offense. Can't say the same about an elite RB.

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If ever there was a RB you'd consider in this scenario, it would be AP. (Or LaDanian Tomlinson, 2004ish).

But an elite QB improves EVERYTHING about your offense. Can't say the same about an elite RB.

You're not wrong.  Again, I agree with your conclusion.  I will say this, though, as a broader statement.  Passing, even with an elite QB, is higher variance than rushing.  I know this is highly-stylized, but a QB who completed 70% of passes that all go for first downs will inevitably go three-and-out.  A running game that can get 3.4 yards every time would never be stopped.  That is why I brought up the question of elite D.  If you can guarantee some floor of offense that could potentially be more attractive than higher average output with wider swings in either direction (I can't rollover excess points).

Again, I agree with you response, but I am just spitballing here as the basic question isn't particularly interesting.

Put Aaron Rodgers on the 2012 Vikings team and subtract Adrian Peterson, and you'd probably win the division and at least win a playoff game or two

Put Adrian Peterson on the 2012 Packers team and subtract Aaron Rodgers and that team probably goes 4-12

That doesn't necessarily answer the question, but this will: I'd take Aaron Rodgers in a heartbeat.

Archived