Is it selfish for colleges not to teach pro style?

Dboi2001

12 hours ago, Dboi2001 said:

I mean a star player for a big school. Name me one player from a big school that end up never even declaring for the draft. Not some no name 4th string QB from Rensselaer or Rice. Pretty much everyone who plays college football and got there from a scholarship has plans for the nfl

I found this list and most of them are simply that they washed out of the nfl, had other aspirations or had medical issues and were from 30 years ago 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360987/article/10-college-football-legends-who-never-played-a-down-in-nfl

Name me one star player from a big school who never joined the nfl draft and choose a normal life. Even mediocre college players at least give it a shot. Name me one college player who didn't even come to the draft

You are saying stars that are heavily recruited correct? Then of course, they are looking for a pro career.  But still the vast majority of players from College teams even from power fives will never see a pro team. 

Back to the original topic... If a coach can win national championships by running a wild non-pro system and his players are not pro ready because of it, that coach doesn't owe it to the rookies to get them ready for anything. They are winning. The program is winning. The coach is paid to win. Not selfish in the least bit. Dude is doing his job.

However, it is a great benefit to the coach and the continued success of the program if their players have a high draft rate and a high NFL success rate. It looks good for the program and makes it easier to recruit. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

On 7/11/2018 at 11:39 PM, Dboi2001 said:

college players don't deserve payment. They simply aren't good enough. Only 1 percent of them will make it big in the nfl, even star athletes. You think this deserves payment?

Plus they are already paying them with free education and housing. I do agree colleges should discourage taking easy classes. If colleges were to pay players they wouldn't have a football team any more OR they'd eliminate scholarships all together. Even then what about other athletic programs like golfing, tennis, track and field, swim team and whatever other sports there are? Hell most of those sports I mentioned the players need to pay for their own equipment

Isn’t the main problem Title IX too?

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Isn’t the main problem Title IX too?

No one here is qualified to answer that. There are lawyers who have real expertise in Title IX and similar legislation that could answer whether that will be an obstacle or what workarounds would be needed.

The all caps "BUT TITLE IX SAYS WE CAN'T" response to pay players as if there is some landmark, binding decision already on the matter when it is 100% not settled is just people who don't want to pay players anyway using a scapegoat.

Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions#how

It appears a logical conclusion is that other athletes would have to be paid, too.

27 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions#how

It appears a logical conclusion is that other athletes would have to be paid, too.

The first amendment is short and simple on paper too, but there are lawyers who spend their whole careers specializing in it and its relevant applications because in practice it's not simple.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:40 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They don't pay players. They push players into worthless classes that don't prepare them for any other career. They leave schools at overwhelmingly high rate after manipulating players to think they are their friend during the recruiting process. They don't give them a dime of medical care after they leave. They don't give them a dime for their jersey sales. They don't give them a dime for any advertising the players do or their image rights.

And it's the fact that they're running the goddamn spread that's the selfish act we need to be concerned with?

NFL player benefits can be found here:

https://mbksports.com/news/an-overview-of-nfl-player-benefits/

On 7/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, Danger said:

No, if you want to play in a pro-style offense, go to a school that uses such a scheme.

This absolutely. The only thing that would suck is if a QB goes to a pro-style offense, that coach leaves and then is left in a gimmick offense. They either have to stick it out or possibly wait to transfer which doesnt look great in some coach's eyes too. 

College coaches get paid to win. If they can win with running a 5 RB set then they will do it

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2018 at 6:13 PM, Dboi2001 said:

I understand that coaches and the athletic administration are paid to bring notoriety their school but to me this seems extremely selfish 

To most cfb players this is their future and are banking on this. It'd be like if business majors didn't actually teach students how to operate a business. Let's be real college athletics may as well be a major in itself and most student athletes (especially at higher schools) and they are doing them a major disservice by not getting their STUDENT athletes nfl ready

If schools are willing to spend as much on sports and football as they do for education they should treat it as such

The big difference is the significant numbers of business majors either operate or work for a business after college. The microscopic number of college football players who actually make the pros makes this an easy difference. The primary goal of any college sport should never be to cater to the professional level, it's about being successful at their level. And if a college player is unhappy about a change in offensive or defensive scheme, they can transfer to another school.   

On 8/28/2018 at 11:34 AM, LaserFocus said:

The big difference is the significant numbers of business majors either operate or work for a business after college. The microscopic number of college football players who actually make the pros makes this an easy difference. The primary goal of any college sport should never be to cater to the professional level, it's about being successful at their level. And if a college player is unhappy about a change in offensive or defensive scheme, they can transfer to another school.   

Yeah but you can still do other things with sports like coaching. If a school is giving free college for sports I think they should either put a much larger emphasis on academics or not have scholarships to begin with especially since colleges do use the nfl as a selling point

Also transferring colleges is a pain and discouraged 

Archived