Which Super Bowls are most likely to go differently with a do over?

patriotsheatyan

A lot of close ones were heartbreaking enough that I'm not sure some teams could recover so it's a tough question.  I'd probably look at examples of teams that didn't play their best ball that day instead of that crushing last minute defeat.

In recent memory, I don't think it was Carolina's day vs Denver and think Cam and company would adjust and beat Peyton in a rematch.

The two biggest upsets the Patriots were in. 2001 vs Rams (Pats basically needed a perfect game) and 2007 vs the Giants (Giants defense deserves a ton of credit, but the Pats were intent on forcing big plays all game and a more intermediate pass game would have done alot to take pressure off Brady)-

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think it’d go differently majority of the time.

I actually agree with this. Even in some of the more thorough blowouts, a hard reset and both teams allowed to re-evaluate their gameplan would lead to a different outcome. 

The few games where you wouldn't see that? Probably some lopsided affairs like Dallas in 1992 (52-17 over Buffalo) or San Francisco in 1990 (vs Denver, 55-10) where one team was completely dominant over the other in every aspect of the game.

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

I actually agree with this. Even in some of the more thorough blowouts, a hard reset and both teams allowed to re-evaluate their gameplan would lead to a different outcome. 

The few games where you wouldn't see that? Probably some lopsided affairs like Dallas in 1992 (52-17 over Buffalo) or San Francisco in 1990 (vs Denver, 55-10) where one team was completely dominant over the other in every aspect of the game.

In recent years maybe. That wasn’t always the case. 

Super Bowl 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 37, 41, 48. 

All of those were unlikely to go the other way if you played them again. There was a decent enough margin. We got a lot of incredibly close ones from the Rams vs Titans to the present with maybe only a couple one sided affairs 

11 hours ago, Malik said:

Seahawks v Broncos, Raiders v Bucs, and Ravens v Giants are the only ones in my lifetime that I think pretty much always go the way they do.

The first two were due to horrible game planning by the losing team, especially Raiders/Bucs.

17 minutes ago, Elky said:

The first two were due to horrible game planning by the losing team, especially Raiders/Bucs.

Given their coaching staff, if they had a do-over, I don't think the Raiders game plan would have been any better.  Gruden had the Raiders' number, and by the Raiders' number I mean the Raiders' playbook.  Because it was his playbook that he made. 

Steelers/Seahawks, Rams/Patriots, Giants/Bills, Colts/Jets

I don't know if Giants/Patriots would have a different outcome. The Giants seemed to match up well against them. I think if they had a rematch. I still think NY would beat them. I mean they beat them in SB 46; regular season game that season, and almost beat them in the 07 finale. 

Archived