Best Movies I have seen All Time

Ozzy

My default Top Ten, though I haven't updated it for a while: 

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) - best rock musical ever (low bar to clear, I know)

Princess Mononoke (1997) - I'd call it Miyazaki's masterpiece, but there are easily 2-3 other movies that could be given that honor. The animation is great (Ghibli so that's almost a given), the themes are in line with my beliefs, and one thing I truly love is that while there is conflict, most characters are given shading and reasonable motivations

Ikiru (1952) - I'm going to try to limit myself to one Kurosawa (I may fail) - this isn't wire-to-wire excellent like Seven Samurai, but as a character study that actually goes big thematically but is sneaky about it, it's tough to beat

Slap Shot (1977) - I rate this as the 2nd best sports movie (behind Eight Men Out) but this is my favourite

Casablanca (1942) - the plot is a bit thin, but who cares when you have actors like Bogart, Bacall, Rains, and Heinreid bouncing off each other with iconic and zippy dialogue? 

Miller's Crossing (1990) - my favourite Coen Bros movie, which is a tough category. Excellent Dashiell Hammet riff, the dialogue is eminently quotable, and the "Danny Boy" sequence is one of the best action scenes out there

Zwartboek (2006) - this is Paul Verhoeven's best, hands down; he channels his penchant for sex and violence into a taut and harrowing story of the Dutch resistance during WW2

Joyeux Noel (2005) - fictionalised account of the WW1 Christmas truce between the French, Germans, and Scots; the Christmas Eve "concert" is required holiday viewing in my household

Jaws (1975) - I revisited this with Ms Good Example just a few months ago, and it popped up on some podcasts as well, and it's just a brilliant, amazing film that gets more amazing as you hear about the behind-the-scenes stuff. I though it moved slower than it did, but the first 30-45 min are FULL of action but still build the 3 main characters (Brody, Quint, and Hooper) through showing, not telling. I could probably write 3-4 pages on this movie alone. 

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - one, maybe two, great romances hidden in a wire-fu epic? Yeah, I'll have a gallon of that.  

Edited by Mr Bad Example

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

It's not in my top 10, but I thought I was literally the only person who liked this movie. 

Costner is gold when it comes to sports films - Tin Cup, Bull Durham, and this all rate highly on my list. 

Costner and Kelly Preston are perfect in that film.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Holy hell, your favorites list is probably bigger than my list of every movie I've ever watched.

I have had Netflix since 2009, that is roughly 2 movies a week, so 96 movies a year for 9 years is around 860+ movies.  Not to mention childhood / movies I have seen before 2009 so add a ton more to that.  So in that regard sure it is a big list but there are more movies that are bad than movies that are good.  So consider it a gift of saving you the time of watching bad movies....

instead of...

QJg7.gif

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I have had Netflix since 2009, that is roughly 2 movies a week, so 96 movies a year for 9 years is around 860+ movies.  Not to mention childhood / movies I have seen before 2009 so add a ton more to that.  So in that regard sure it is a big list but there are more movies that are bad than movies that are good.  So consider it a gift of saving you the time of watching bad movies....

instead of...

QJg7.gif

I wasnt saying that to slight you or anything...just joking that that is a ton of movies.

First Blood, 1982

Chock full of stars, based on a hit novel.

As Vietnam vets are being depicted as Going Postal vets, along comes a surprisingly complicated action movie without high technology, chasing around a dense forest.

Sub plots hiding in plain sight. An MK ULTRA? 

There's way more bowling in Kingpin so by that measure it's a better bowling movie. The Big Lebowski just uses bowling as a backdrop.

Anywho, I find age has a lot to do with how one views films. And the background of people in terms of their education and work. Yes, a movie is a story on screen but it's hard to ignore inaccuracies when they drive a story. For example, if you have even a basic grasp of legal codes for the region a legal drama is set in, you're not going to be able to ignore plain fantasy or if you have an understanding of police work most crime shows are pretty unwatchable. I still love Miami Vice but I don't view it as much for being a cop show as a soap opera with a police backdrop and because I'm so nostalgic the Miami scenery in the 80s.

Fact is, most movie scripts are written out by very disconnected people. Not all from wealthy backgrounds but more in their own world. You start noticing how dated many films are because the writer used available metrics at the time to finish out dialogue or the director had to appease the studio with some sponsor request. So a great film to me is one that transcends time and works as, to be cliche, a work of art, an experience.

1995's Heat is a phenomenal achievement in how it's filmed and the characters play out. It has aged exceptionally well.

More recently 2007's There Will Be Blood is also a timeless masterpiece because one, it's a historical set piece and two, it's about the pursuit of control and all that entails, not to mention narcissism and ego, etc. Again, wonderfully filmed, wonderful acting and exceptional dialogue.

For comedies I probably go with Hot Fuzz, The Producers (original), Anchorman, Office Space, Lampoons Vacation & Christmas, Groundhog Day, Blazing Saddles, Harry Met Sally, although I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others at the moment.

Robocop, Aliens and T2 are the greatest sci-fi and action films at the same time. Phenominal masterpieces, ageless masterpieces.

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, x0x said:

There's way more bowling in Kingpin so by that measure it's a better bowling movie. The Big Lebowski just uses bowling as a backdrop.

Anywho, I find age has a lot to do with how one views films. And the background of people in terms of their education and work. Yes, a movie is a story on screen but it's hard to ignore inaccuracies when they drive a story. For example, if you have even a basic grasp of legal codes for the region a legal drama is set in, you're not going to be able to ignore plain fantasy or if you have an understanding of police work most crime shows are pretty unwatchable. I still love Miami Vice but I don't view it as much for being a cop show as a soap opera with a police backdrop and because I'm so nostalgic the Miami scenery in the 80s.

Fact is, most movie scripts are written out by very disconnected people. Not all from wealthy backgrounds but more in their own world. You start noticing how dated many films are because the writer used available metrics at the time to finish out dialogue or the director had to appease the studio with some sponsor request. So a great film to me is one that transcends time and works as, to be cliche, a work of art, an experience.

1995's Heat is a phenomenal achievement in how it's filmed and the characters play out. It has aged exceptionally well.

More recently 2007's There Will Be Blood is also a timeless masterpiece because one, it's a historical set piece and two, it's about the pursuit of control and all that entails, not to mention narcissism and ego, etc. Again, wonderfully filmed, wonderful acting and exceptional dialogue.

For comedies I probably go with Hot Fuzz, The Producers (original), Anchorman, Office Space, Lampoons Vacation & Christmas, Groundhog Day, Blazing Saddles, Harry Met Sally, although I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others at the moment.

Robocop, Aliens and T2 are the greatest sci-fi and action films at the same time. Phenominal masterpieces, ageless masterpieces.

1995 Heat is a great movie I agree, Al does such a good job as a downtrodden cop, it is a little long though probably too long I feel but still a great movie.  There Will Be Blood is classic and so original I agree.  One would think making an original movie with an idea not any others have written about or with a story not many others have heard is not that hard but it seems to be, especially with some of the crap that is made today.  Original ideas though most are always based on something that was seen and it is a play off that but unique is always nice but very hard to pull off.

If one is talking Miami scenery Scarface 1983 is one of the most artistically strong and well shot movies in history.  The background and scenery in that movie is outstanding and flat out great.  The Neon, the Painted walls, gold railings everything, it is an artistic marvel that does not get the credit it deserves.  To me that compared to Heat, Scarface is by far the superior movie in every regard, sure they swear a lot so some people are turned off by that, but for its time it was historic.  It should have arguably won either art direction or Cinematography Oscars but was never even nominated for anything, then again the original Blade Runner did not win any Oscars either which is a joke.  

Freaking awesome movie I saw recently, Sing Street, surprisingly funny and cool and has a little Neo-Noir feel to it as well.

• 4 months later...

Added a few to the list....

Stalker (1979):
Visually it is awesome, crazy how the fantasy and dream like reality of the film keeps your attention but in reality they do nothing amazing with the graphics at all.  It is shot so well it keeps ones interest throughout even though it is super long.  Love the end scene as well and it is a cool foreign film no doubt

Beautiful Girls (1996):
Trailer seems cheesy and it kind of is but for a 1996 romantic comedy it is a pretty solid movie.  Decent actors with Uma Thurman, Matt Dillion, Michael Rapaport, Lauren Holly, Rosie O'Donnell and Natalie Portman.  Has a good guy click that is funny and a decent message overall at the end.  So despite not a super strong lead is still a funny and good film.

Gleason (2016):
Awesome documentary about the former Saints player.  Is really powerful and easily one of the best documentaries I have seen.  Super strong message and story no doubt.

Green Book:
Finally ended up seeing it, is surprising how good the comedy is in that movie but then again the director and co writer did make Dumb and Dumber as well so should not be that surprising.  Great for him to get an Oscar for it and comedy wise is strong and has a clearly decent message in the end as well.  Unique story and worth a look.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 3:13 AM, Ozzy said:

*Cape Fear

62 or 91? ... + Gotta give a like for Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979) ... Tarkovsky's Solaris (1972) & Mirror (1975) are of equal quality. With Solaris being an all time favorite of mine.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of my elite tier off the top of my head... (I'll separate by common genre, but won't make any distinction between live-action & animation)

Action: 

Speed, The Bourne Identity... I really just don't dig action films anymore. It used to be my favorite, now I struggle to find the time. Although, I recently enjoyed Upgrade (2018) - Action / Sci-Fi ... Probably because they kept it short & simple.  

Drama:

The Sting (Crime / Drama), Gone with the Wind, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Laura (Crime / Drama), On the Waterfront, It's a Wonderful Life (Drama / Fantasy), The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke,  A Streetcar Named Desire, Citizen Kane

Sci-FI:

Solaris (72), 2001: A Space Odyssey, Akira, The Terminator, Ghost in the Shell (95), Alien, Blade Runner - Director's Cut (92), Patlabor 1&2 (Sci-Fi / Political Thriller), Metropolis (27)

Fantasy:

The Princess Bride, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Imo this was the best of the Trilogy), Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scroll (Action / Fantasy), Jurassic Park (Fantasy / Sci-Fi)

Thriller:

Night of the Hunter, Cape Fear (Both, but I prefer the original), Perfect Blue, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo, Strangers on a Train, The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, Leave Her to Heaven

Horror:

Jaws, Nosferatu (22), The Exorcist, The Birds, The Shinning 

War:

Saving Private Ryan, Glory, Breaker Morant (War / Courtroom Drama), Barefoot Gen 1&2, Grave of the Fireflies, Letters from Iwo Jima, Downfall, Das Boot, Patton

Western:

Once Upon a Time in the West, The Searchers, The Good the Bad & the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More, A Fistful of Dollars (The entire Dollars Trilogy), The Great Silence, Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Tombstone 

Musical: 

Dancer in the Dark (2000) ... I typically dismiss musicals as little more than fanciful entertainment & on top of that I tend to despise the catalogue of LvT. But, there's just something uniquely special about DITD. Perhaps, it's simply the brilliance of Bjork? Perfect casting. 

Comedy:

I personally love Vampire's Kiss & Kung Pow! Enter the Fist... But I doubt that they'd be considered great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

62 or 91? ... + Gotta give a like for Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979) ... Tarkovsky's Solaris (1972) & Mirror (1975) are of equal quality. With Solaris being an all time favorite of mine.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of my elite tier off the top of my head... (I'll separate by common genre, but won't make any distinction between live-action & animation)

Action: 

Speed, The Bourne Identity... I really just don't dig action films anymore. It used to be my favorite, now I struggle to find the time. Although, I recently enjoyed Upgrade (2018) - Action / Sci-Fi ... Probably because they kept it short & simple.  

Drama:

The Sting (Crime / Drama), Gone with the Wind, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Laura (Crime / Drama), On the Waterfront, It's a Wonderful Life (Drama / Fantasy), The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke,  A Streetcar Named Desire, Citizen Kane

Sci-FI:

Solaris (72), 2001: A Space Odyssey, Akira, The Terminator, Ghost in the Shell (95), Alien, Blade Runner - Director's Cut (92), Patlabor 1&2 (Sci-Fi / Political Thriller), Metropolis (27)

Fantasy:

The Princess Bride, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Imo this was the best of the Trilogy), Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scroll (Action / Fantasy), Jurassic Park (Fantasy / Sci-Fi)

Thriller:

Night of the Hunter, Cape Fear (Both, but I prefer the original), Perfect Blue, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo, Strangers on a Train, The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, Leave Her to Heaven

Horror:

Jaws, Nosferatu (22), The Exorcist, The Birds, The Shinning 

War:

Saving Private Ryan, Glory, Breaker Morant (War / Courtroom Drama), Barefoot Gen 1&2, Grave of the Fireflies, Letters from Iwo Jima, Downfall, Das Boot, Patton

Western:

Once Upon a Time in the West, The Searchers, The Good the Bad & the Ugly, For a Few Dollars More, A Fistful of Dollars (The entire Dollars Trilogy), The Great Silence, Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Tombstone 

Musical: 

Dancer in the Dark (2000) ... I typically dismiss musicals as little more than fanciful entertainment & on top of that I tend to despise the catalogue of LvT. But, there's just something uniquely special about DITD. Perhaps, it's simply the brilliance of Bjork? Perfect casting. 

Comedy:

I personally love Vampire's Kiss & Kung Pow! Enter the Fist... But I doubt that they'd be considered great. 

It is Cape Fear 1991, sure there are some cheesy parts but visually I think there is a ton going on with the backgrounds and scenes there.  De Niro does a great job as the villain, Lange is decent and Nolte is very good also, Juliette Lewis plays the daughter well also.  

I will have to check out Solaris 1972, I see there is a movie of the same name made in 2002 that looks like crap but I will for sure have to check out this 1972 film, looks like a neat Sci Fi movie but the trailer is just lame so hopefully that is not a sign, usually older trailers are pretty bad.

Action movies are ok, never got into the Gone in 60 seconds thing or muscle car movies, but Mad Max Fury road is freaking amazing and the action is awesome, I like the other Mad Max films and did not think that could compare but it blew them out of the water.  Sadly they might never continue the series because of the damn legal battle over $7 million between them and Warner Brothers...

I have never seem Ghost in the Shell 1995, is it that good?  The 2017 one with Scarlett Johansson I was greatly disappointed in that.  It seemed like it could be cool but actually sucked.

On the Waterfront, The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke and A Streetcar Named Desire are all amazing movies.  They are top of the line and some of the best older films made especially On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire.  They can hold attention where some older films lack that in many ways.  

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It is Cape Fear 1991, sure there are some cheesy parts but visually I think there is a ton going on with the backgrounds and scenes there.  De Niro does a great job as the villain, Lange is decent and Nolte is very good also, Juliette Lewis plays the daughter well also.  

Personally, I prefer Mitchum's subtler style overall. However, Scorsese did a great job of giving the remake stand alone quality by changing certain dynamics for the modern audience. Most notable was the family dynamic of structured & cohesive (62) to fractured & dysfunctional (91). 

I will have to check out Solaris 1972, I see there is a movie of the same name made in 2002 that looks like crap but I will for sure have to check out this 1972 film, looks like a neat Sci Fi movie but the trailer is just lame so hopefully that is not a sign, usually older trailers are pretty bad.

I could just never bring myself around to watching the George Clooney remake.

The original is well worth it. Late 60s - 70s was an era  full of experimentation which produced some uniquely brilliant films. In saying that it also produced a ton of truly WTF? content. The trial & error nature of the period is what makes it so enjoyable. 

Action movies are ok, never got into the Gone in 60 seconds thing or muscle car movies, but Mad Max Fury road is freaking amazing and the action is awesome, I like the other Mad Max films and did not think that could compare but it blew them out of the water.  Sadly they might never continue the series because of the damn legal battle over $7 million between them and Warner Brothers...

Action used to be my unequivocal go-to genre. My current lack of interest is probably due in part to overconsumption.

Indestructible action heroes who are supposedly human, like you & me, seem a little ridiculous now. Tbh, I find it a little amusing that our love for realism & grit in dramatic productions, as opposed to the theatrical style of the Golden Age - is not carried over to action films. Instead, the opposite is true.

Another factor is the need to create ongoing / never ending action franchises rather than quality stand alone features, it really puts a damper on things... I prefer the Quality over Quantity ~ Artistic Model over the Quantity over Quality ~ Business model. 

However, I still enjoy some hybrid action features...

Like Upgrade (2018) which I mentioned. Upgrade's ratio was heavily in favour of action, but the Sci-Fi element made the stylised action sequences more palatable. (It's simply works much better than stating someone is ex special forces)

Although, in saying that - the fact that the Action-Hybrid market is saturated by comic book films is not something I'm particularly a fan of.

I have never seem Ghost in the Shell 1995, is it that good?  The 2017 one with Scarlett Johansson I was greatly disappointed in that.  It seemed like it could be cool but actually sucked.

The animated feature is top-shelf. I'd probably watch a whole lot more modern Action / Sci-Fi / Fantasy - cinema if stories were presented via animation. Unfortunately, the western mindset regarding the animated medium results in little demand outside of Family / Children's  content. Shame, as animation provides a platform for unique visual experiences. 

On the Waterfront, The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke and A Streetcar Named Desire are all amazing movies.  They are top of the line and some of the best older films made especially On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire.  They can hold attention where some older films lack that in many ways.  

I started getting into films from the Golden  Age in the mid-late 2000s (Maybe around 2006/07). Before then I'd had little interest, it's funny how things change. 

Over time I've found a lot to admire & appreciate from the films of that era.

The dialogue driven storytelling of that era is unmatched. 

The finer performances details, mannerisms, body language, expressions, tone, & overall suggestive acting abilities, etc - Were a standout feature of that period. Restrictions meant many things had to be implied. 

Charm, charisma & screen presence: Performers of that era had it in spades. Often they had the ability to infuse an attractive quality into an otherwise detestable character (Ray Milland as Tony Wendice / Dial M for Murder)... Or, make a minuscule role a memorable one (Dorothy Malone's flirtatious bookstore cameo with Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep).

However...

I agree, there are films from that era that don't translate well to the present day. Many of the musicals for example & some of the more exotic action epics such as Cleopatra & Spartacus, etc...  Kirk Douglas was a great performer, he was magnificent in Lonely are the Brave (62), but his most famous action epic Spartacus looks terrible by today's standards. The close combat action sequences, exotic sets & costumes of the Golden Age are simply laughable. 

~~~~

PS ~ I'll add the following films to my all-time list... 

There Will be Blood (2007 ... Western / Drama)

No Country for Old Men (2007, what a year ... Crime / Drama)

The Manchurian Candidate (1962 ... Political Thriller / Drama)

Carrie (1976 ... Horror)

Duel (1971 ... Action / Thriller)

Edited by Marc MacGyver

7 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Personally, I prefer Mitchum's subtler style overall. However, Scorsese did a great job of giving the remake stand alone quality by changing certain dynamics for the modern audience. Most notable was the family dynamic of structured & cohesive (62) to fractured & dysfunctional (91). 

I could just never bring myself around to watching the George Clooney remake.

The original is well worth it. Late 60s - 70s was an era  full of experimentation which produced some uniquely brilliant films. In saying that it also produced a ton of truly WTF? content. The trial & error nature of the period is what makes it so enjoyable. 

Action used to be my unequivocal go-to genre. My current lack of interest is probably due in part to overconsumption.

Indestructible action heroes who are supposedly human, like you & me, seem a little ridiculous now. Tbh, I find it a little amusing that our love for realism & grit in dramatic productions, as opposed to the theatrical style of the Golden Age - is not carried over to action films. Instead, the opposite is true.

Another factor is the need to create ongoing / never ending action franchises rather than quality stand alone features, it really puts a damper on things... I prefer the Quality over Quantity ~ Artistic Model over the Quantity over Quality ~ Business model. 

However, I still enjoy some hybrid action features...

Like Upgrade (2018) which I mentioned. Upgrade's ratio was heavily in favour of action, but the Sci-Fi element made the stylised action sequences more palatable. (It's simply works much better than stating someone is ex special forces)

Although, in saying that - the fact that the Action-Hybrid market is saturated by comic book films is not something I'm particularly a fan of.

The animated feature is top-shelf. I'd probably watch a whole lot more modern Action / Sci-Fi / Fantasy - cinema if stories were presented via animation. Unfortunately, the western mindset regarding the animated medium results in little demand outside of Family / Children's  content. Shame, as animation provides a platform for unique visual experiences. 

I started getting into films from the Golden  Age in the mid-late 2000s (Maybe around 2006/07). Before then I'd had little interest, it's funny how things change. 

Over time I've found a lot to admire & appreciate from the films of that era.

The dialogue driven storytelling of that era is unmatched. 

The finer performances details, mannerisms, body language, expressions, tone, & overall suggestive acting abilities, etc - Were a standout feature of that period. Restrictions meant many things had to be implied. 

Charm, charisma & screen presence: Performers of that era had it in spades. Often they had the ability to infuse an attractive quality into an otherwise detestable character (Ray Milland as Tony Wendice / Dial M for Murder)... Or, make a minuscule role a memorable one (Dorothy Malone's flirtatious bookstore cameo with Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep).

However...

I agree, there are films from that era that don't translate well to the present day. Many of the musicals for example & some of the more exotic action epics such as Cleopatra & Spartacus, etc...  Kirk Douglas was a great performer, he was magnificent in Lonely are the Brave (62), but his most famous action epic Spartacus looks terrible by today's standards. The close combat action sequences, exotic sets & costumes of the Golden Age are simply laughable. 

~~~~

PS ~ I'll add the following films to my all-time list... 

There Will be Blood (2007 ... Western / Drama)

No Country for Old Men (2007, what a year ... Crime / Drama)

The Manchurian Candidate (1962 ... Political Thriller / Drama)

Carrie (1976 ... Horror)

Duel (1971 ... Action / Thriller)

The musical score for Cape Fear 1991 takes if over the top, that combined with the popping graphics and colors.  That score is historic though and really standout.  Super creative movie overall visually and musically, is something to be said that they had such a solid movie to base it off of though which greatly helps.

I agree all the comic book movies over and over again get a little old.  And they all make millions and billions of dollars over and over again so they keep being made.  Some are decent but most are pretty lame and I rarely even watch them to be honest.  Easy for them because they have to make no story it is already there.

I will have to check out Upgrade, I have not seen that before but does look pretty cool and always interesting in new not crap Sci Fi movies.  And nice to see it like like a comedy like Guardians of the Galaxy which is just stupid I feel, I like more dark and real Sci Fi movies not one liner action films about a bunch of crap and BS.  

Yeah 2007 was an amazing year for films, some of my favorite films all time were that year in Assassination of Jessie James, No country of Old Men and There Will be Blood.  All amazing films and different in there own way but all super cool and look great and have a unique story.  Honestly like the old time country vibe and really no movies have came close to that country Western vibe since these.  Maybe Hell or Hight Water that was good but not at the same level of these.  Heck in 2007 there was also Michael Clayton, Lars and the Real Girl, Superbad,  Juno, 3:10 to Yuma (remake) August Rush, In the Land of Women, Distrubia, 28 Weeks Later, The Mist, The Savages.  Not all great but all good and the first 4 on this list are all very good movies.  

• Like 1

I think Shinkai's average film is better than Miyazaki's average film.

The Wind Rises is the only Miyazaki movie I'd see again. Princess Mononoke is my 2nd favorite, but the rest don't really do anything for me, as a grown man.

Some other movies that are great, IMO:

Fun musical romp: That Thing You Do!

Period drama: LA Confidential

Sill y comedy: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective