Best Movies I have seen All Time

Ozzy

Fracture (2007):  Pretty damn good movie with damn good actors in Hopkins and Gosling.   Sweet crime drama and is interesting and unique, never heard of this film before but it is a good one.  Awful name, lame movie image/poster but it is solid and a unique story.  Good law/crime drama.

The Virgin Suicides (1999): Kind of shocking how good this is, has a sweet story book type narration throughout that sets the tone.  High school romance and love type story with a odd and strange vibe, kind of a dark and serious movie but the name keeps you thinking and wanting to know what they are talking about.  Curious for sure and worth a watch.

• Like 1

Saw this on TV and the more I looked into it they are dread right.  1999 was an insane year for movies are arguably the best one ever.  Here is the list of top movies in that year, it is nuts and the top 8 or so are some of the best movies ever made arguably, especially the top 5.  

The Green Mile
The Matrix
American Beauty
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Sixth Sense
Fight Club
Eyes Wide Shut
October Sky
Office Space
Girl, Interrupted
Boys Don't Cry
The Virgin Suicides
10 Things I Hate about You
The Blair Witch Project
Any Given Sunday
8mm
The Hurricane
Star Wars Episode I
Austin Powers 2
Sleepy Hallow
American Pie
Cruel Intentions
Summer of Sam
For the Love of the Game
Never Been Kissed
Varsity Blues
Being John Malkovich
Man on the Moon

Someone even apparently wrote a book about it, hard to argue with though was an amazing year.

40538583._UY2113_SS2113_.jpg

American-Beauty.JPG

60336-warner_home_video.jpg

91pcpX7NWvL._SL1500_-1068x580.jpg

talented-mr-ripley.jpg

12 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

1. Schindler's List

2. Steel Magnolis

3. A Beautiful Mind

4. The Lion King

5. Beauty and the Beast

I will have to check out Steel Magnolis, looks like a stacked cast with a lot of female lead talent.  But I think it would be hard for that movie to beat Fried Green Tomatoes which has far more Southern charm I feel.  

16 hours ago, Small Town Values said:

Here's a few more...

(1962)

(1962)

(1975)

(1990)

I have To Kill a Mocking Bird on my original list, and I agree that movie is great, arguably is one of the top 10-15 films ever made.   Sure the book is amazing but I feel arguably the characters come more to life in the film especially with Atticus and Scout.  Lawrence of Arabia I did not have on there and forgot that one, good call.  However I must say outside of it being amazing visually it is pretty long and not sure it holds ones attention all that well throughout but visually there is a ton to like about it especially considering the age in which it was made.  

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is awesome, I have that on my original list as well.  However one could argue Awakenings might be possibly better, but both are good and the ending is outstanding in that and Jack Nicholson is great as well.

Goodfellas I purposefully did not include, to me it is not one of my favorite movies and I do not consider it one of the best all time.  Compared to The Godfather it is absolute trash and Liotta is annoying in it more often than not, same with Joe.  Just seems very cliche and done before for when it was made.  There are no strong or good female characters in it and the plot overall is a little uninteresting at times.  Just my opinion on it.

17 hours ago, Small Town Values said:

Here's a few more...

(1962)

Image result for kill a mockingbird on netflix

(1962)

Image result for lawrence of arabia 1962 poster

(1975)

Image result for jack nicholson black and white

I dig all three of those, but if we're talking 60's era movies, one of my favorites is Judgment at Nuremberg, from 1961.  Spencer Tracy is great in it, of course, and it also a ton of legendary starpower: Burt Lancaster (great in his limited scenes), Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland, William Shatner, and mostly Maximilian Schell.  Uses actual footage of the holocaust too.  Very moving, but not sappy Oscarbait type.  It's my favorite holocaust movie, and my third favorite WWII movie (Saving Private Ryan and Letters from Iwo Jima are 1 and 2, Bridge on the River Kwai is a close 4th).

Also, Once Upon a Time in the West, from 68, is a great western.  Leone did the Dollars trilogy first, and as much as I love me some man-with-no-name, I actually like Once Upon a Time in the West better.  I also just ******* love spaghetti westerns.  But this one succeeds where Dollars fails, for me, because the man with no name just isn't that likable of a protagonist in the first film, and by The Good the Bad and the Ugly, he is, but the movie is also like four hours long.  I mean, it's a classic and all, but it's not like I want to fire it up that often, though to be fair, if I'm watching a western, there's a 99% chance it's either Unforgiven or Blazing Saddles.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:16 AM, Small Town Values said:

Action: 

Although, I recently enjoyed Upgrade (2018) - Action / Sci-Fi ... Probably because they kept it short & simple.  

Great call on Upgrade, just watched that and that is a damn good movie for sure.  Little cheesy at times with the one liners during the fight scenes, but overall cool villains, cool story and cool ending.  Nice interesting Sci Fi movie and there are not many around that are worth a damn, especially considering there is zero in terms of name actors in it yet it is still interesting, shows the writing was great as was the story overall.  Sadly I bet few to anyone saw it, made $16 million box office, cost $3 so that is good but that box office number for now a days is crazy low.

• Like 1

@Ozzy... The Godfather is the victim of being part of a trilogy that crashed & burned on the final leg. 1&2 are great, part 3 is truly awful. Tbh, I hesitated putting LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring on my original list, but the fantasy genre lacks depth in terms of quality content. So, I decided to recognize the stand alone merit of the film.

(Disclaimer: Unlike The Godfather III, none of the LOTR trilogy is poor. My problem with the LOTR trilogy is that when viewed back-to-back the sequence of events becomes repetitive & wearisome. The books / book is predominantly filled with pages of descriptive text dedicated to scene setting / world building. The films being a visual medium don't need to do this. Instead extended battle scenes become the focus making the films less of an overall experience than the book)    

Upgrade's greatest strength is self-awareness. It doesn't overplay its hand or reach beyond the limitations of the concept. It's not a thought provoking exploration of AI, & it doesn't try to be. It's simply an excellent action film with an AI / Sci-Fi theme that is used to drive the action. I've seen it mentioned that Upgrade is the film they wanted Venom (2018) to be.

Funnily enough - I predicted Upgrade's twist / ending within the first 10-15 minutes (With the exception of STEM's final move... A personal record *Beats Chest* ). Yet, it didn't take any of the enjoyment out of the film. I love a film with high rewatchability & Upgrade scores high here. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Daniel... I'm talking about any era. Great films carry-over throughout time. The Dollars Trilogy is simply the best trilogy I've ever seen. However, in saying that it's a bit of a cheat as each film can really pass for a completely independent feature. Once Upon a Time in the West would probably be in my top 5 films all-time. Jill McBain's arrival & journey to the homestead is one of my favorite moments in cinema. The scene showcases the intense level of detail that went into creating the sets, costumes & overall western aesthetic. Simply breathtaking. 

It almost seems unanimous that Letters from Iwo Jima is considered superior to Flags of our Fathers. I have it on my original list. I enjoyed The Bridge on the River Kwai too, but I tend to like a bit more intensity in my war films. I haven't seen Judgment at Nuremberg, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it. All Quite on the Western Front (1930) is another I need to watch. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pretty much every time I come back here, I think of something else to add...

Captains Courageous (1937)

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)

3 hours ago, Small Town Values said:

I had to watch Aguirre for a German film class.  Amazing movie.  You can see the influence it had on Apocalypse Now (probably a top 5 movie for me) in a big way, but it's also a fantastic movie on its own merit, even though the dubbing at the beginning can get annoying.

I finally saw Birdman last night and was not disappointed.  Going over Inarritu's filmography, there are a lot of his movies I've wanted to see, but never got around to it (Babel, 21 Grams, etc.).  Birdman was funny, weird, and technically amazing.  The way they did the one long shot effect was impressive, to say the least.  Glad I finally got to see it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Small Town Values said:

@Ozzy... The Godfather is the victim of being part of a trilogy that crashed & burned on the final leg. 1&2 are great, part 3 is truly awful. Tbh, I hesitated putting LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring on my original list, but the fantasy genre lacks depth in terms of quality content. So, I decided to recognize the stand alone merit of the film.

(Disclaimer: Unlike The Godfather III, none of the LOTR trilogy is poor. My problem with the LOTR trilogy is that when viewed back-to-back the sequence of events becomes repetitive & wearisome. The books / book is predominantly filled with pages of descriptive text dedicated to scene setting / world building. The films being a visual medium don't need to do this. Instead extended battle scenes become the focus making the films less of an overall experience than the book)    

Upgrade's greatest strength is self-awareness. It doesn't overplay its hand or reach beyond the limitations of the concept. It's not a thought provoking exploration of AI, & it doesn't try to be. It's simply an excellent action film with an AI / Sci-Fi theme that is used to drive the action. I've seen it mentioned that Upgrade is the film they wanted Venom (2018) to be.

Funnily enough - I predicted Upgrade's twist / ending within the first 10-15 minutes (With the exception of STEM's final move... A personal record *Beats Chest* ). Yet, it didn't take any of the enjoyment out of the film. I love a film with high rewatchability & Upgrade scores high here. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Daniel... I'm talking about any era. Great films carry-over throughout time. The Dollars Trilogy is simply the best trilogy I've ever seen. However, in saying that it's a bit of a cheat as each film can really pass for a completely independent feature. Once Upon a Time in the West would probably be in my top 5 films all-time. Jill McBain's arrival & journey to the homestead is one of my favorite moments in cinema. The scene showcases the intense level of detail that went into creating the sets, costumes & overall western aesthetic. Simply breathtaking. 

It almost seems unanimous that Letters from Iwo Jima is considered superior to Flags of our Fathers. I have it on my original list. I enjoyed The Bridge on the River Kwai too, but I tend to like a bit more intensity in my war films. I haven't seen Judgment at Nuremberg, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it. All Quite on the Western Front (1930) is another I need to watch. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aguirre, the Wrath of God I have on my original list, amazing movie no question and a amazing villain that carries it no doubt.  It is a must watch for any film fan, Klaus Kinski was good in Fitzcarraldo as well.  Sadly Klaus Kinski is a great villain but is apparently a drop dead awful human being in real life so that is a negative to why his films do not get more love over the years most likely.  Guess it was not all acting up on screen and was kind of a villain in real life as well so that is a hit on the actor part of things.  If only looking at the film though, yeah great movie.

The Godfather is one of the best films ever made, The Godfather II is awesome as well, sure the third is not very good but to me that does not take anything away from the 1st or the 2nd.  Not all the Star Wars are good, especially these new crap ones, that does not take away from the un edited original three when they were made.  Sure hurts the brand overall and does with The Godfather but The Godfather can stand alone as being easily one of the best 'mob' crime movies ever and again makes Goodfellas look like a absolute piece of trash.  

I always thought this was a funny scene on Clerks 2.  But yeah LOTR does have a solid three movies

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I had to watch Aguirre for a German film class.  Amazing movie.  You can see the influence it had on Apocalypse Now (probably a top 5 movie for me) in a big way, but it's also a fantastic movie on its own merit, even though the dubbing at the beginning can get annoying.

I finally saw Birdman last night and was not disappointed.  Going over Inarritu's filmography, there are a lot of his movies I've wanted to see, but never got around to it (Babel, 21 Grams, etc.).  Birdman was funny, weird, and technically amazing.  The way they did the one long shot effect was impressive, to say the least.  Glad I finally got to see it.

I thought Birdman was quite overrated and not very good.  There is little to nothing notable about it when I look back at it to be honest, and I would not be that concerned if I never watch it again.  Great movies you watch to watch again, that one does not fit into that category to me.  If it was on cable maybe I would watch it just based on the ton of fine actors in the movie,  but outside of that there is not much that makes it stand out.  

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Aguirre, the Wrath of God I have on my original list, amazing movie no question and a amazing villain that carries it no doubt.  It is a must watch for any film fan, Klaus Kinski was good in Fitzcarraldo as well.  Sadly Klaus Kinski is a great villain but is apparently a drop dead awful human being in real life so that is a negative to why his films do not get more love over the years most likely.  Guess it was not all acting up on screen and was kind of a villain in real life as well so that is a hit on the actor part of things.  If only looking at the film though, yeah great movie.

The Godfather is one of the best films ever made, The Godfather II is awesome as well, sure the third is not very good but to me that does not take anything away from the 1st or the 2nd.  Not all the Star Wars are good, especially these new crap ones, that does not take away from the un edited original three when they were made.  Sure hurts the brand overall and does with The Godfather but The Godfather can stand alone as being easily one of the best 'mob' crime movies ever and again makes Goodfellas look like a absolute piece of trash.  

I always thought this was a funny scene on Clerks 2.  But yeah LOTR does have a solid three movies

I thought Birdman was quite overrated and not very good.  There is little to nothing notable about it when I look back at it to be honest, and I would not be that concerned if I never watch it again.  Great movies you watch to watch again, that one does not fit into that category to me.  If it was on cable maybe I would watch it just based on the ton of fine actors in the movie,  but outside of that there is not much that makes it stand out.  

Eh, different strokes for different folks.  I only laughed a handful of times, but I thought overall it was very funny, just not laugh out loud very often.  I guess what appealed to me was how straight up the plot is in comparison to the execution.  I mean, it's almost a serious movie about an artist trying to make real art or whatever, but the whole thing is clearly a joke.  For example: every time Keaton's character has his visions of superpowers and gets interrupted, it's played for laughs, until near the end when things are starting to really unravel and he's standing on the edge of the building, it gets interrupted by the guy trying to save him and turns serious for a second, only for him to do a "made you look," and then run and jump off the building.  Then when the sequence was over there was the yelling cabbie.

The constant shift back and forth in tone, I thought, was great.  And I really loved how it sets it up to make you think he's going to end it by killing himself, only for him to screw it up and shoot his own nose off.  The gags are all plot gags, and I love it.  Also, I really do occasionally enjoy movies/shows where one character is crapped on the whole time (Daisy in Downton Abbey is an example--fiance is making me watch the series); those characters almost always are my favorites, so I loved having the protagonist of the whole movie fill that role.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Brilliant actor. Definitely suffered malfunction in the brain. Politicians, Inventors, Cultural Icons, Athletes, Scientists, Musicians - you name it. There has been plenty of brilliant, but flawed human beings throughout history. Acknowledge & appreciate the talents / gifts rather than the man / woman.    

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

You're probably right. It just irks me when they can't land the plane. Back-to-back masterpieces & then you completely schit the bed on the home stretch. It's a much tougher ask to pretend The Godfather III doesn't exist than say the rest of the Terminator franchise after T2, or the Aliens franchise after Alien.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Herzog & Kinski made a great team. Even if they didn't get along. 

On 7/15/2019 at 9:05 AM, Ozzy said:

Saw this on TV and the more I looked into it they are dread right.  1999 was an insane year for movies are arguably the best one ever.  Here is the list of top movies in that year, it is nuts and the top 8 or so are some of the best movies ever made arguably, especially the top 5.  

The Green Mile
The Matrix
American Beauty
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Sixth Sense
Fight Club
Eyes Wide Shut
October Sky
Office Space
Girl, Interrupted
Boys Don't Cry
The Virgin Suicides
10 Things I Hate about You
The Blair Witch Project
Any Given Sunday
8mm
The Hurricane
Star Wars Episode I
Austin Powers 2
Sleepy Hallow
American Pie
Cruel Intentions
Summer of Sam
For the Love of the Game
Never Been Kissed
Varsity Blues
Being John Malkovich
Man on the Moon

Someone even apparently wrote a book about it, hard to argue with though was an amazing year.

40538583._UY2113_SS2113_.jpg

I just read that book and watched almost every single movie in it, except for the last part about Magnolia cause I haven’t seen that yet.