Best Movies I have seen All Time

Ozzy

5 hours ago, RamRod said:

I just read that book and watched almost every single movie in it, except for the last part about Magnolia cause I haven’t seen that yet.

Paul Thomas Anderson's best movie.  Believe it or not, Tom Cruise is ******* amazing in that movie.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:02 PM, Daniel said:

Paul Thomas Anderson's best movie.  Believe it or not, Tom Cruise is ******* amazing in that movie.

Really?  Better than There Will be Blood?  I highly doubt that.  If it is indeed that good I might have to check it out but the trailer seems a little lacking, tons of actors in it which is nice but sometimes that is used to just cover up a poor script.  

Paul Thomas Anderson swings and makes odd movies and usually strikes out, The Master kind of sucked, never liked Boogie Nights, Inherent Vice sucked too and Phantom Thread was freaking awful.  

Will see Punch Drunk Love is pretty dang good and funny, so in terms of Paul Thomas Anderson movies I would say There Will Be Blood and Punch Drunk Love are his best two.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, Malfatron said:

I believe it.

Tom cruise is also good in Tropic Thunder

Yeah he is hilarious in that.  That movie is very good and very funny overall, tons of quality one liners.  

On 7/18/2019 at 9:35 PM, KewlBeanz said:

Star Wars Phantom Menace

Mobsters

Hulk

Star Wars Phantom Menace was very close to being a great movie.  But the cheesy digital animation kind of made it come down a notch.  The droid fight scenes are lame and Jar Jar is well simply not C-3PO.  Sure that character is needed but Jar Jar was just too kid friendly to be honest as was that movie overall, with the freaking kid pod races then literally selling a video game about the pod races.  It was way too trying to get the next generation into Star Wars, not to mention Anakins Mom was awful in it.  Still have one of the best movie villains of all time Darth Maul and Queen Amidala/Padme dresses in that were outstandingly beautiful and nothing like it has been done since.  George sure has the cool villains down, did it with Darth Vader, did it with Boba Fett even more so and then with Darth Maul.  The guy was barely in any scenes but is freaking bad to the bone just like Boba Fett is.  Turns out do not have your villain talk much, have him look cool and it will be super interesting and lasting over time.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what made me think of this one since I haven't seen the movie in years, but it was pretty satisfying when Kristy Swanson took out Ann Ramsey with a basketball in the movie "Deadly Friend."  For you "young whippersnappers", you will be in awe of the realism in this scene.  Special effects were really something back in those days. :D

Speaking of Kristy Swanson, another good death was when Kristy took out Pee-Wee Herman's character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Pee-Wee's acting was one of the funniest deaths, even if it doesn't make any "most satisfying" lists.  Also, may Rutger Hauer RIP.  He was also in this scene.

Edited by Uncle Buck

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't know what made me think of this one since I haven't seen the movie in years, but it was pretty satisfying when Kristy Swanson took out Ann Ramsey with a basketball in the movie "Deadly Friend."  For you "young whippersnappers", you will be in awe of the realism in this scene.  Special effects were really something back in those days. :D

Speaking of Kristy Swanson, another good death was when Kristy took out Pee-Wee Herman's character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Pee-Wee's acting was one of the funniest deaths, even if it doesn't make any "most satisfying" lists.  Also, may Rutger Hauer RIP.  He was also in this scene.

That was pee wee Herman this whole time?

On 7/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I think you meant to post this in the most satisfying deaths thread.  Anyway...

source.gif

She's like a ten.  And what a rocket arm, get such splash action off the bounce!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen the movie many times but a forgotten omission to the list.  Awesome comedy, hilarious and has multiple scenes that are really standout and historic.  Could argue a top 10 comedy all time, a true classic.

Did finally see A Star is Born, and wow that movie sucked and only reason it got any attention at all is the ending which was a surprise one and not expected.  If that did not happen no one would have even cared about the movie.  There was no point in it where I thought this is not just Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper talking to each other, they did not act very well even with Cooper changing his voice it still was him all the way.  Disappointed in that one which is not a surprise with the track record of last years films especially the Oscar nominees.

Saw 'A Civil Action' 1998, which was not awful, the ended was a little ehh  but overall worth a look.

• Like 1

perfect movies:

Tremors

In Bruges

Bone Tomahawk

Seven Psychopaths

Inglourious Basterds

Ghostbusters

Return of the Living Dead

excellent movies, but everyone has seen:

The Dark Knight

The Departed

Infinity War

Terminator

Jurassic Park

funniest comedies (rewatchability is key!)

Wet Hot American Summer

Cannibal the Musical

Freddy Got Fingered

Would Want to show people who never seen it (but some minor flaws):

The Lobster

Darkman (favorite superhero movie)

Battle Royale

13 Assassins

Primer

Excellent the first time but hard to rewatch:

Killing of a Sacred Deer

Heredity

Nebraska

Edited by Malfatron

On 7/18/2019 at 6:19 AM, Daniel said:

Eh, different strokes for different folks.  I only laughed a handful of times, but I thought overall it was very funny, just not laugh out loud very often.  I guess what appealed to me was how straight up the plot is in comparison to the execution.  I mean, it's almost a serious movie about an artist trying to make real art or whatever, but the whole thing is clearly a joke.  For example: every time Keaton's character has his visions of superpowers and gets interrupted, it's played for laughs, until near the end when things are starting to really unravel and he's standing on the edge of the building, it gets interrupted by the guy trying to save him and turns serious for a second, only for him to do a "made you look," and then run and jump off the building.  Then when the sequence was over there was the yelling cabbie.

The constant shift back and forth in tone, I thought, was great.  And I really loved how it sets it up to make you think he's going to end it by killing himself, only for him to screw it up and shoot his own nose off.  The gags are all plot gags, and I love it.  Also, I really do occasionally enjoy movies/shows where one character is crapped on the whole time (Daisy in Downton Abbey is an example--fiance is making me watch the series); those characters almost always are my favorites, so I loved having the protagonist of the whole movie fill that role.

Birdman is outstanding.  I've seen it 3-4x and it gets even better each time.

18 hours ago, Malfatron said:

perfect movies:

Tremors

In Bruges

Bone Tomahawk

Seven Psychopaths

Inglourious Basterds

Ghostbusters

Return of the Living Dead

excellent movies, but everyone has seen:

The Dark Knight

The Departed

Infinity War

Terminator

Jurassic Park

funniest comedies (rewatchability is key!)

Wet Hot American Summer

Cannibal the Musical

Freddy Got Fingered

Would Want to show people who never seen it (but some minor flaws):

The Lobster

Darkman (favorite superhero movie)

Battle Royale

13 Assassins

Primer

Excellent the first time but hard to rewatch:

Killing of a Sacred Deer

Heredity

Nebraska

Nebraska is a great flim, super funny and super unique but I have not watched it since and doubt it will be on TV any time soon.  Killing of the Sacred Deer I would watch again in a second and not have a hard time doing so, amazing film.  Cannot imagine the same direction of that sweet movie was also "The Favourite" a movie I hated but got Oscar and won one, if anything should have an Oscar it should be Killing of the Sacred Deer.

Surprised you do not have 8MM on this, was a dark movie obviously, odd thing is I think I saw it on TV like 15 years ago on cable.  PS cannot speak of Nicholas Cage without the scene in Wild at Heart, rocking the F out.  

FirsthandTestyEarthworm-size_restricted.

17 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Birdman is outstanding.  I've seen it 3-4x and it gets even better each time.

Honestly I will wait till it is shown on cable, and if not I would be fine never seeing it again.  Maybe it would be way better when seen on TV to me, kind of was like that with Django Unchained, was not a huge fan seeing it the first time but for on TV it is watchable no question, same with Inglourious Bastards.

• Like 1