Sign in to follow this  
dll2000

Random Thoughts and Questions

Would you trade rosters or coaching staffs (for Bears) with Minnesota or Green Bay? 

Me:  I am biased and optimistic about Bears future for now.  We are still in honeymoon phase.  But I admit that Minnesota has better roster now and probably for next year as well.  That being said I would keep the Bears young roster, staff and looming salary cap situation over the Vikings or Packers even though I consider MN to be SB contenders in 2018.   Admittedly perhaps this is because I am more invested in the Bears process.  

Should Green Bay, Detroit or Minnesota be considered SB contenders in 2018? 

Me:  I say only MN and only if Cook stays healthy.  I don't say I favor them to go to SB, only they have a realistic shot on paper.  

Choose your preferred choice of relatively young QB for Bears, meaning you would trade MT straight up for this player right now or keep MT, amongst following (factoring in everything - contract, contract years remaining, off field, talent, potential, work ethic):

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota

Dak Prescott

Mitch Trubisky

Jared Goff

Deshaun Watson

Pat Mahomes

Me:  I think Winston and Mariota have under preformed and under whelmed thus far, especially Winston.  Mariota has been fairly good and may have a break out year because his overall team is fairly loaded now with all the high draft picks they have had, but I don't think that makes him individually that much better as a player should he have to switch teams.  I think Prescott is good, smart and charismatic, but has limited arm strength.    I think Goff is a tough one.  From what I saw he looked pretty good last year and is improving rapidly.  He is more of a prototypical NFL QB than Trubisky.  I like Trubisky's athletic ability and mind better for this offense and staff.   Watson is another really tough one.  He looked amazing last year, better than any young QB, and put up ridiculous numbers.  But he did get hurt and that factors in.   Common sense would say that you take Watson all day, every day based on what he did in a short time with the Texans.  But my gut tells me he isn't going to stay healthy or that good long term.  KC is very high on Mahomes, but listening to Nagy and Reid discuss Trubisky in interviews during draft process it sounds like they both preferred Trubisky a bit over Mahomes and I would agree with that assessment.

So in conclusion from that list, I would keep MT if I had to decide today.  12 months or 2 years from now that could look like a ridiculous decision, but based on available information it is what I would do.   

The youngish QBs in the league I would take right now today over Trubisky are Garoppolo and Wentz.  Wentz more so than Garoppolo because Garoppolo has huge contract right now and Wentz is better and more proven than Garoppolo even though Garoppolo has been around longer. 

But Wentz got hurt just like Watson you say and he plays reckless too.  Yeah, but again my gut just tells me Wentz is a better bet for long term really good player and it doesn't say same about Watson.  Watson feels like 2 or 3 maybe really good seasons, some hurt years and some disappointing years.  Of course he could be historic and I could be totally wrong.  Based on how he played when he played you would have to say he is the best.  However, I think his scrambling really added to the plays he made though and once or if he starts playing more cautious those plays won't be as open.  And if he doesn't play more cautious he is more likely to be hurt again.  Either way he likely can't sustain that level of play with that play style.  He is also benefiting from some great weapons at moment and that tends to change over time.  

Posted (edited)

Would you trade rosters or coaching staffs (for Bears) with Minnesota or Green Bay? 

Yes, MIN I would. Nagy with a vet QB, yound skill position players, and a loaded defense? Yessir. I'd also want to get a QB in the 2019 draft to develop, as Cousins is a UFA in 2021. I think Pace would be able to stockpile talent, unlike what Angelo did when we has a talented but aging roster.

Should Green Bay, Detroit or Minnesota be considered SB contenders in 2018? 

MIN absolutely. GB has a chance because of Rodgers, and Pettine is an uprade at DC they have needed for years. DET has no chance of winning the Super Bowl this year, same as us.

Choose your preferred choice of relatively young QB for Bears, meaning you would trade MT straight up for this player right now or keep MT, amongst following (factoring in everything - contract, contract years remaining, off field, talent, potential, work ethic):

I'm putting them in the order I want them in.

Mitch Trubisky - Loved him pre-draft, love the potential, and now he should be able to be groomed to a real system.

Deshaun Watson - Looked stellar, I preferred Tru but will fully admit his accuracy in the intermediate game was much better than I expected.

Pat Mahomes - Loved him pre-draft, but didn't want him in Chicago under a lame duck like Fox. I think he will be a top 10 QB for years after he gets in his game.

Jared Goff - Goff made huge strides, playing better than I expected him  to prior to his draft. That being said, he was a benefactor of Gurley, talent around him, and a wonderful job by McVay more than a dominant player himself. I expect a dropoff similar to Prescott's, though not to the same degree.

Dak Prescott - I got him before DAL in my real time draft I posted here, I like him but he is not a top 10 QB to me.

Marcus Mariota - I like him quite a bit more than Winston, but I stand by my pre-draft rating of him. He is an average starter in the end to me, his athleticism makes him exciting at times though.

Jameis Winston - No, he is mediocre and has maturity issues. Not impressed with him at all, the draft hype was puzzling to me.

I'd drop Tru for Wentz in a heartbeat though. The amount of pressure he has on him for the offense to succeed is at the level of Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. The trust throws, reads, throwing open based on WR/CB leverage, etc. It was amazing what he was doing last year.

Edited by Sugashane