Do you consider A.J. Green a top-5 wide receiver?

Shylo3716

Do you currently A.J. Green consider a top-5 wide receiver?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Currently top-5?

Yeah I don't get the Allen/Thomas over AJ Green talks. AJ clearly is in the top 5 for me. I believe he's better than Hopkins and I think he's just as good as Julio, but Julio benefitted from a much better QB situation his entire career. Only receiver I would clearly have over Green is AB. ODB is super talented as well, but coming back from an injury and with character issues, I don't know.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Put AJ with Brees and he's threatening for most yards in the league and double digit touchdowns every year. You really think Thomas would be as good with Cincy as New Orleans? 

Yes, there is nothing green can do that Thomas can't

If I'm being honest, There's only really a "Top 4" right now.

1. Antonio Brown
2. Julio Jones
3. DeAndre Hopkins
4. OBJ

5. Everyone else.

Also, Michael Thomas is overrated. Considering he's playing in a system which makes just about any WR interchangeable with Brees who passes for like 5 million yards a year, his numbers aren't that impressive. He's certainly a GOOD WR, but he's being put up higher due to the offense he's in. 

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

If I'm being honest, There's only really a "Top 4" right now.

1. Antonio Brown
2. Julio Jones
3. DeAndre Hopkins
4. OBJ

5. Everyone else.

Also, Michael Thomas is overrated. Considering he's playing in a system which makes just about any WR interchangeable with Brees who passes for like 5 million yards a year, his numbers aren't that impressive. He's certainly a GOOD WR, but he's being put up higher due to the offense he's in. 

Absolutely incorrect, I've seen Thomas destroy some of the best corners, and also have to readjust for badly placed balls and make miraculous catches. It's not brees.

4 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

Absolutely incorrect, I've seen Thomas destroy some of the best corners, and also have to readjust for badly placed balls and make miraculous catches. It's not brees.

Fair or unfair, it's very difficult to say "It's not Brees".  I think Antonio Brown is the best WR in the NFL but I also think having Big Ben helps him.  Both can be true...

5 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

What separates him from Brandin Cooks or Marques Colston in prior years tbh

4 hours ago, Danger said:

What separates him from Brandin Cooks or Marques Colston in prior years tbh

He's much better than cooks. As for Colston, i think he's one of the most under rated receivers in history. Even with that, I'd still take Thomas over Colton, does everything Colton did but quicker.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Wait are you saying that you'd take those guys over AJ Green? Seriously?

I tend to think in terms of this year...and the future (not, not 2021, but I look at 2-3 year impact).   I truly don't see much of a gap between those 4 guys now.   Given where they are at age-wise, and the likelihood of staying at their peak, yeah, that's why I put him #7.     Thomas has expanded to being more than just a go-route guy.   He's actually developed a more complete route tree, makes contested catches, and shows great hands and big RZ chops.    Allen is just impossible to cover, the main issue has been injuries, and except for the ACL, they're not of the recurrent-risk variety.    I get it's not CW using the past, but I look to see if breakouts are sustainable for even more growth - in Thomas/Allen's case, all signs say huge yes.    Before you say that's crazy - it's easy to say Hopkins is that guy now.   The key is if you see it as it's happening, not after.

There's Brown, big gap, then there's OBJ & Hopkins, smaller gap, and then there's those 4 all lumped together (Julio being the 4th).  Being #4 or #7 is pretty much using a microscope - so I just factor in stage of career then.   After that group, I see a fairly big dropoff.  I used to think Mike Evans belonged in that 3rd tier (Brown is his own tier, OBJ & Hopkins their own), too.  I could be reconvinced to include him in Tier 3, but he stopped being a YAC threat last year, and I value guys who win on their own in multiple ways.

It's nothing against AJ Green, he's been a top 3 WR for a long time.   But eventually things change.   To be 30 and still in that non-Brown/OBJ-Hopkins tier is a testament to how much of an elite talent he's been, and still is.

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Put AJ with Brees and he's threatening for most yards in the league and double digit touchdowns every year. You really think Thomas would be as good with Cincy as New Orleans? 

Its fun to think about but yea I think Green would have bonkers numbers with a QB like Brees

12 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

Yes, there is nothing green can do that Thomas can't

Are you kidding me? He doesn't have AJ's length and body control. He's not a freak like Green is, and Green has produced at the top of the league with safety help over the top throughout his career with a quarterback at least two tiers above Dalton. 

Also, you can't seriously tell me with a straight face that Hopkins and OBJ are better than Julio. That's a joke.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I tend to think in terms of this year...and the future (not, not 2021, but I look at 2-3 year impact).   I truly don't see much of a gap between those 4 guys now.   Given where they are at age-wise, and the likelihood of staying at their peak, yeah, that's why I put him #7.     Thomas has expanded to being more than just a go-route guy.   He's actually developed a more complete route tree, makes contested catches, and shows great hands and big RZ chops.    Allen is just impossible to cover, the main issue has been injuries, and except for the ACL, they're not of the recurrent-risk variety.    I get it's not CW using the past, but I look to see if breakouts are sustainable for even more growth - in Thomas/Allen's case, all signs say huge yes.    Before you say that's crazy - it's easy to say Hopkins is that guy now.   The key is if you see it as it's happening, not after.

There's Brown, big gap, then there's OBJ & Hopkins, smaller gap, and then there's those 4 all lumped together (Julio being the 4th).  Being #4 or #7 is pretty much using a microscope - so I just factor in stage of career then.   After that group, I see a fairly big dropoff.  I used to think Mike Evans belonged in that 3rd tier (Brown is his own tier, OBJ & Hopkins their own), too.  I could be reconvinced to include him in Tier 3, but he stopped being a YAC threat last year, and I value guys who win on their own in multiple ways.

It's nothing against AJ Green, he's been a top 3 WR for a long time.   But eventually things change.   To be 30 and still in that non-Brown/OBJ-Hopkins tier is a testament to how much of an elite talent he's been, and still is.

This argument has to do with resume and right now, not 3-4 years from now. Allen hasn't been on the field enough to be put over Green. That's insanely insulting to put Allen over Green. And in terms of talent, it's still not true. AJ is hard to cover as well, and hasn't exactly had stellar qb play throughout his career.

I don't think people are taking into account system and circumstances in this discussion nearly enough. Green's game will age well, and until he really shows signs of slowing down, he's at/near the top of the league for me.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Are you kidding me? He doesn't have AJ's length and body control. He's not 

Allen hasn't been on the field enough to be put over Green. That's insanely insulting to put Allen over Green. And in terms of talent, it's still not true.

Does he have his length? No, does he have the body control? Yes, Thomas can contort his body to do insane things that I have seen. But i'm not talking about length, I didn't say he was built like Green, I said he can do everything Green can do. Antonio Brown doesn't have the length of Green, does that mean Green is better?

Archived