Do you consider A.J. Green a top-5 wide receiver?

Shylo3716

Do you currently A.J. Green consider a top-5 wide receiver?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Currently top-5?

1 minute ago, Danger said:

AJ Green is closer to Alshon than he is to Hopkins or OBJ. The point is there's an absolute log jam of WRs, those 4 are clearly a cut above the rest.

Alshon is closer to an unemployed Dez Bryant than he is to AJ Green. xD 

The guy can run like 3 routes and have continual success. If you see them in the same tier, I think I'm going to save us both a few posts and just nip this in the bud. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

No. Jerry Rice could actually get deep. Thomas can’t. Although there is an argument to be made for Randy Moss.

Those youtube comments seem to make more sense than you. Perhaps you are the average fan?

Anyway, there is an old adage that fits here: don’t cast pearls before swine. 

I think we’re done here. 

Thomas can absolutely get deep but good try, yup we're done here.

And LOL ur using YouTube posters for ur argument, if I'm the average fan then ur well below.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

No. Jerry Rice could actually get deep. Thomas can’t. Although there is an argument to be made for Randy Moss.

Those youtube comments seem to make more sense than you. Perhaps you are the average fan?

Anyway, there is an old adage that fits here: don’t cast pearls before swine. 

I think we’re done here. 

http://cover32.com/2016/11/25/pff-michael-thomas-nfls-best-deep-threat/

Yup, Thomas is terrible at going deep 

6 hours ago, Crickett said:

You mean aside from establishing himself as one of if not the most dangerous speed demons in the NFL able to take the top off of defenses or turn routine short passes into big gains  because he's just so much faster and elusive than everyone else, right?  He's a vertical threat who managed 1100+ yards in his second season with one of the most checkdown happy quarterbacks of the last twenty years throwing him the ball. 

Aside from that, he's done nothing. 

Alex Smith had an excellent year, downfield included, and Andy Reid is a prolific offensive mind who puts his players in the best position to succeed.

One year doesn't make you a great receiver. That's what he's trying to say. And if you have Tyreek Hill over AJ Green, well that's a whole other story.

Brett Kollman is one of the best if not the best player evaluators around. Listen to what he has to say from 7:42 onward if you don't want to watch the whole thing. He entirely echoes what I've been saying this whole thread which won't sink in to @GamedayGuru's head.

And I quote: "He'll never be the deep threat that Moss was or that Beckham is now; not even close. I mean the 4.57 he ran at the combine was absolutely his real speed. He's not a vertical threat at all."

And this is coming from a set of highlights in the same video that show him catching passes of 20+ yards.

That PFF stat is irrelevant to the discussion. And the title to that stat couldn't be more unjust or inaccurate, simply put. Catch efficiency on 20+ yard passes does in no way make you a viable deep option by most self-evident football standards. What were the minimum required targets to warrant that list? What was the total yardage accrued? Let me try and lay this out with a hypothetical example.

Julian Edelman catches 9 of 11 deep balls (20+ yards, by this statistical standard) for a total of 225 yards at a efficiency rate of 81.81%

Mike Wallace catches 8 of 16 deep balls for a total of 410 yards at a rate of 50%.

Who is the better deep threat? Who threatens the defense more deep? Who will the defense be more concerned of in the event they can only choose one receiver to shade a safety towards? Efficiency is such a small fraction of what actually matters when discussing deep threats. In many cases a receivers mere presence on the field is a more relevant indicator depending on how the defense adjusts.

7 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Trolling because your argument has more holes than a golf course? Keep deflecting. 

Exactly. 

This isn't even a winnable argument where it's a preference between players.

Can thomas catch balls down the field? Sure.

20 yards isn't a deep ball. Who is more dangerous at gaining big chunks of yardage? Lets take a look at catches of 40+ yards...

Catches of over 40 yards by year:

AJ Green

2011: 4th

2012: 1st

2013:t-1st

2014:25th

2015: 10th

2016: t-1st

2017:t-11th

Dude has been pretty close/at the top of the league for most of his career with a guy who doesn't excel at throwing deep.

Michael Thomas catches over 40 yards:

2016:t-68th

2017: t-60th

Dude has 2 catches of over 40 yards in his career. His career long catch is 46 yards.

Aj green in his career worst year had 3 over 40. He's had as many as 9 in a season and has lead the NFL in those receptions multiple times.

Stats can be misleading, but with Drew Brees vs Andy Dalton, please tell me how Michael Thomas is some incredible deep threat at the NFL level.

For pete's sake, you called him elite. He isn't close to elite right now. If Michael Thomas is elite, there are 10-15 elite receivers in the NFL every year, minimum... no.

This argument is over. Move on.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, GamedayGuru said:

And LOL ur using YouTube posters for ur argument, if I'm the average fan then ur well below.

You really have no legs to stand on when you post a homer highlight video on YouTube as evidence...

22 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think the biggest reason Michael Thomas will struggle to be considered Top-5 is longevity. Guys like AB-Odell-Hopkins-Julio-Green-Allen have been doing it for longer or better for the same amount of time

I'm game to go with this line of thought. I like Michael Thomas, but I've got to see him play at this level for a while before I take this as his standard level.

If I'm a GM, I'm taking a guy like Mike Evans over him - even with the lull from last season, simply because the gap in QB play is that big.

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think the biggest reason Michael Thomas will struggle to be considered Top-5 is longevity. Guys like AB-Odell-Hopkins-Julio-Green-Allen have been doing it for longer or better for the same amount of time

It's not longevity. He's not as good as any of those guys, objectively. He's just playing with a future HOF qb and with an unbelievable offensive-minded HC.

He's a good player, but that's the reason he's even being discussed.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm game to go with this line of thought. I like Michael Thomas, but I've got to see him play at this level for a while before I take this as his standard level.

If I'm a GM, I'm taking a guy like Mike Evans over him - even with the lull from last season, simply because the gap in QB play is that big.

Yea the QB gap is big but idk if I'm taking Evans over Thomas

Archived