4th most important GB Defensive player for 2018 season

squire12

Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 4th most important for the 2018 season  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 4th most important for the 2018 season

• Mike Daniels
    • Kenny Clark
    • Mo Wilkerson
    • Blake Martinez
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Tramon Williams
    • Jaire Alexander
    • Other (please note name of player on post)

Let's have some discussion on the most important players on the GB Packers.  Going to break this down by offense and defense.  

I may not be able to submit a new poll every few days, so anyone can feel free to take up the mantle and continue.  No preference on whether it is Offense or Defense, just put something up if you feel the current poll and topic has run its course.

I think this leading defensive player question...and really the top 3-4 will be an interesting discussion. 

Previous polls

1.  Kevin King

2.  Nick Perry

3.  Clay Matthews

Since Mike Daniels was my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.....it feels only right to also vote him at #4.

Mike Daniels.  Inside pass rush in the new GB defense.  Mike Pettine will  bring out the best in Mike Daniels and it is time for him to assume the role of defensive team leader in performance on the field.

This one was tough. I voted King #1 and Perry #2, but I had HHCD at #3 and Daniels at #4. 

Haha had a less than stellar ‘17, but I love the idea of this defense with a very good/elite safety playing center field. Brice and Jones aren’t sure things either so I feel it’s that much more important for HaHa to be at his best. Maybe stop thinking so much and just let loose. I think a great safety would be slightly more impactful for us than that of an interior rusher. Though I wouldn’t argue someone taking Daniels here. Side question, but who wears the communications helmet this year? 

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Mo Wilkerson 

We all know Daniels and Clark will hold it down as usual but Mo is going to be the determining factor to whether or not this DL unit and pass rush take it to the next level.  

Be that logic wouldn't you pick the worst player on the defense?

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Be that logic wouldn't you pick the worst player on the defense?

He's 100% right, I said the same thing on the last vote. I mean sure the logic could apply the same to Fackrell or Biegel but Mo has been an All Pro so you know he can do it. I can tell you right now the Daniels/Clark combo is going to give you A grade run defense and 10-12 sacks. We got that last year and we were the same defense. Them being top 15 interior DL isn't enough. Unless you think Perry or Matthews will be old dogs taught new tricks, or Fackrell, Biegel, Gilbert, Donnerson or Odom are breakout candidates, the best chance to move back to an upper echelon pass rush is to revive Mo to his past self.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's 100% right, I said the same thing on the last vote. I mean sure the logic could apply the same to Fackrell or Biegel but Mo has been an All Pro so you know he can do it. I can tell you right now the Daniels/Clark combo is going to give you A grade run defense and 10-12 sacks. We got that last year and we were the same defense. Them being top 15 interior DL isn't enough. Unless you think Perry or Matthews will be old dogs taught new tricks, or Fackrell, Biegel, Gilbert, Donnerson or Odom are breakout candidates, the best chance to move back to an upper echelon pass rush is to revive Mo to his past self.

Best way to get an upper echelon pass rush with the pieces in house is to put together a secondary that isn't an embarrassment so we can actually get into some rush downs. If we could stop having to protect the secondary rather than pinning our ears back and getting after it on pressure downs, that would help as well.

Looking at the last two years of football, this team needs Mike Daniels to be Mike Daniels way more than they need Wilkerson to be Wilkerson. Daniels has actually been a productive football player.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Best way to get an upper echelon pass rush with the pieces in house is to put together a secondary that isn't an embarrassment so we can actually get into some rush downs. If we could stop having to protect the secondary rather than pinning our ears back and getting after it on pressure downs, that would help as well.

Looking at the last two years of football, this team needs Mike Daniels to be Mike Daniels way more than they need Wilkerson to be Wilkerson. Daniels has actually been a productive football player.

It's been a bad defense with Mike Daniels being Mike Daniels for years.

You saying Mo hasn't been productive in the past? That's crazy. At his peak he was better than Daniels has ever been.

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's been a bad defense with Mike Daniels being Mike Daniels for years.

You saying Mo hasn't been productive in the past? That's crazy. At his peak he was better than Daniels has ever been.

The last time he was better than Daniels was two seasons, and a severe leg injury ago. 

I'm really confused as to what the expectation for Wilkerson is. Are people expecting an all pro season?

Pretty sure if you lose Daniels this team is a lot worse than if you lose Wilkerson.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The last time he was better than Daniels was two seasons, and a severe leg injury ago. 

I'm really confused as to what the expectation for Wilkerson is. Are people expecting an all pro season?

Pretty sure if you lose Daniels this team is a lot worse than if you lose Wilkerson.

I think it is hard to say when discussing DL.  A lot depends on assignment- if they are assigned to 2 gap, the stats for sacks and tackles for loss just won't be there.  

If you take a natural productive 1 gapper and assign him to a two gap role he won't be happy either.

My hope is that we will go with more 3 DL, 1 gap sets this year, which will allow more disruption in the run game and a better interior rush.  If we do that, Wilkerson could turn back into a productive player.  Not necessarily all pro, but someone who threatens enough to open up the edge for the guy there.  If he can do that I would consider it a successful signing.  Sort of playing in the role of Cullen Jenkins in 2010.  No pro bowl, no all pro, but effective in the scheme.

I put Clark. Daniels is also a good pick. Really anyone on the list you could argue (other than Blake being an ILB who is solid but not special and Tramon who will likely be a mentor/3rd corner).

I probably said this before, but I don't think King is "That" important. With Jackson, Jaire, Tramon, and even House our corners can survive an injury or a flop (we aren't running with UDFA's starting). You can't say that about our OLBs

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wilkerson has not only been one of the 2 or 3 worst locker room cancers in the NFL in the last 2 years but he's been awful at football.  If someone is expecting pro bowl or all pro play  IMO their expectations are out of wack.  He's looked done since that leg injury.

I've got very little expectations for Wilkerson this year as I don't believe in the player or his work ethic.  Matter of fact the Wilkerson signing reminds me a lot of the Albert Haynesorth addition in New England back in 2011.  The difference between the players and the character of the man is minimal at best.  I don't think a zebra can change it stripes in an off-season.  

This team would be much worse off losing Daniels IMO.  He's a better football player who's a leader in the locker room.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I have no clue what expectations should be. You obviously have a different definition of what an important player entails than I do.

Archived