4th most important GB Defensive player for 2018 season

squire12

Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 4th most important for the 2018 season  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 4th most important for the 2018 season

• Mike Daniels
    • Kenny Clark
    • Mo Wilkerson
    • Blake Martinez
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Tramon Williams
    • Jaire Alexander
    • Other (please note name of player on post)

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I have no clue what expectations should be. You obviously have a different definition of what an important player entails than I do.

I just don't get how "Important" equals "Guy that if he plays well could be a big difference maker". 

When I think of an important player, I think of the integral building blocks of the team, guys we can't lose.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

Wilkerson has not only been one of the 2 or 3 worst locker room cancers in the NFL in the last 2 years but he's been awful at football.  If someone is expecting pro bowl or all pro play  IMO their expectations are out of wack.  He's looked done since that leg injury.

I've got very little expectations for Wilkerson this year as I don't believe in the player or his work ethic.  Matter of fact the Wilkerson signing reminds me a lot of the Albert Haynesorth addition in New England back in 2011.  The difference between the players and the character of the man is minimal at best.  I don't think a zebra can change it stripes in an off-season.  

This team would be much worse off losing Daniels IMO.  He's a better football player who's a leader in the locker room.  

I get the connection between them with the perception of lack of effort after signing the big contract, but do you think Haynesworth had issues while on his first contract with Tennessee that maybe made hime a worse character risk?  I don't think Wilkerson has shown the instability that Haynesworth showed such as when Haynesworth stomped on a players head, has he?

Wilkerson may bust, but he may have just been a bad fit with Todd Bowles, while Pettine and Ryan knew how to get the effort from him.  I am hoping for the later.

We're not going to get All Pro for any of our DL. I don't find it hard to imagine where the top 3 all have pretty similar stat lines though and I think that puts us in a better situation than anyone in the division, inside. If Adam's foot is 100 this DL should be very deep and exciting to watch. Daniels isn't going to get better, he's a pro bowl caliber player who will benefit from taking a few less snaps. Replacing Dial with Wilkerson is a bonus for everyone. 

Rambling and didn't read? Pick any DL here, I feel they're all close to equal in value.

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I get the connection between them with the perception of lack of effort after signing the big contract, but do you think Haynesworth had issues while on his first contract with Tennessee that maybe made hime a worse character risk?  I don't think Wilkerson has shown the instability that Haynesworth showed such as when Haynesworth stomped on a players head, has he?

Wilkerson may bust, but he may have just been a bad fit with Todd Bowles, while Pettine and Ryan knew how to get the effort from him.  I am hoping for the later.

While he hasn't stomped on anyone's head he's been as bad of a locker room cancer as there is in the NFL the last 2 years.  Like Haynesworth, he's blamed his coaching staff for his lack pff production.  He's blamed his teammates for the defense's play.  He's blamed his training staff for his laziness.  I  read one NFL guy that he doesn't believe that he's seen a lower effort defensive lineman since Albert Haynesworth in Washington.  On top of all that he's shown that he feels he's too good to come to meetings. IF He shows up he does so when he sees fit basically showing that he thinks he's more important than the team.

Hard to blame Bowles. Wilkerson wants to be on a pedestal and treated different than his teammates.  Hard to fault Bowels for not coddling a guy who's shown the lack of overall effort that Wilkerson has shown since stealing that contract from the Jets.  The Jets couldn't get rid of the trash quick enough.  Cancers like that can destroy the locker room and Wilkerson's done a lot of damage dividing the young room.

While Wilkerson hasn't kicked anyone in the head, he's a far worse teammate and every bit the headache that Haynesworth was.  Hopefully I'm wrong a zebra can change his stripes in a year.  Hopefully Pettine is the answer for a guy who's been one of the NFL's laziest players over the last 2 seasons.  

Wilkerson shouldnt be near top 5 important.

I would put Clark, Williams, HaHa, maybe even Alexander over him right now. 

Williams because he's prolly gonna start and he's key to helping these young bucks, Clark is about to become one of the best if he isn't already at his position, and HaHa because we really don't have much behind him and I think he's gonna come back strong after a average season last year. Wilkerson is like the Peppers signing, except we don't really know which way this guy is gonna go, he could be another Bennett or turn around his careeer here. We need him to return to form and contribute to an already good line. It's just ashame we didn't get similar guy at EDGE.

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 5:47 PM, squire12 said:

Let's have some discussion on the most important players on the GB Packers.  Going to break this down by offense and defense.  

I may not be able to submit a new poll every few days, so anyone can feel free to take up the mantle and continue.  No preference on whether it is Offense or Defense, just put something up if you feel the current poll and topic has run its course.

I think this leading defensive player question...and really the top 3-4 will be an interesting discussion. 

Previous polls

1.  Kevin King

2.  Nick Perry

3.  Clay Matthews

For some perspective on why the Packers D sucks yet again in 2018, it is worth considering the collective wisdom of this board as to who the MOST IMPORTANT defensive players were coming into the season. (And I am not disputing the rankings, just noting who the players were).

King, Perry, and Matthews were the consensus top 3 and no one could have possibly expected that this trio would produce as little as they actually did.

I dare say HHCD was also considered to be among the other "most important" players on D heading into the 2018 season.

Unfortunately, yet again there seems to be a distinct lack of talent on D heading into the offseason and no defensive coaching wizardry can change that reality.

Gute has a lot of work to do this offseason and not just on the defensive side of the ball.

6 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

For some perspective on why the Packers D sucks yet again in 2018, it is worth considering the collective wisdom of this board as to who the MOST IMPORTANT defensive players were coming into the season. (And I am not disputing the rankings, just noting who the players were).

King, Perry, and Matthews were the consensus top 3 and no one could have possibly expected that this trio would produce as little as they actually did.

I dare say HHCD was also considered to be among the other "most important" players on D heading into the 2018 season.

Unfortunately, yet again there seems to be a distinct lack of talent on D heading into the offseason and no defensive coaching wizardry can change that reality.

Gute has a lot of work to do this offseason and not just on the defensive side of the ball.

What you're seeing is a lot of people, myself included, not understanding how the rush principles of this defense were going to operate. If this was a Capers' defense, those three would have been the correct answer. If everyone would have known this was going to be a 3-3 standard, the OLBs wouldn't have been nearly as high.

Additionally if we would have known Perry's ankle was going to remain jacked up heading into the year, he would have been downgraded as well. 

I think this is less about players and far more about people on this board, primarily myself not being nearly as smart as we think we are in regards to scheme around the league. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What you're seeing is a lot of people, myself included, not understanding how the rush principles of this defense were going to operate. If this was a Capers' defense, those three would have been the correct answer. If everyone would have known this was going to be a 3-3 standard, the OLBs wouldn't have been nearly as high.

Additionally if we would have known Perry's ankle was going to remain jacked up heading into the year, he would have been downgraded as well. 

I think this is less about players and far more about people on this board, primarily myself not being nearly as smart as we think we are in regards to scheme around the league. 

Pettine absolutely took pass rush opportunities away from our EDGE players - but it's not like those opportunities were halved. 

What was painfully obvious this year is that Matthews completely lost the ability to close on a QB.  He could get around a tackle every now and again, but he just couldn't close.  Where a guy like Fackrell - who has half the pass rush ability that 52 once possessed - still found a way to get to 10 sacks.  

Even more disconcerting was Perry's season.  I've never seen a player fall off as fast as Perry did from last year to this year.  He clearly should have been on the PUP to start the season.  Who knows if he'll ever regain that bull rush again.  

I really like Pettine's overload blitzes.  I love watching his defense.  If it were fully staffed with a decent free safety, another capable ILB, and even league average edge rushers, it would have been a thing of beauty in year 1.  

I was done with 3-4 edge defenders a year ago.  Dom consistently made them do the job of a 4-3 End who were 2 to 3 inches taller and 20 to 30 lbs heavier with his 4 - 2 - 5.  I'm back on the 3-4 OLB type player now that I've seen them used appropriately.  Never in my dreams would I have imagined Fackrell becoming a good player - but Pettine got the absolute most out of a guy who showed nothing up until this year.  I hope he's back.

4 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Pettine absolutely took pass rush opportunities away from our EDGE players - but it's not like those opportunities were halved. 

What was painfully obvious this year is that Matthews completely lost the ability to close on a QB.  He could get around a tackle every now and again, but he just couldn't close.  Where a guy like Fackrell - who has half the pass rush ability that 52 once possessed - still found a way to get to 10 sacks.  

Even more disconcerting was Perry's season.  I've never seen a player fall off as fast as Perry did from last year to this year.  He clearly should have been on the PUP to start the season.  Who knows if he'll ever regain that bull rush again.  

I really like Pettine's overload blitzes.  I love watching his defense.  If it were fully staffed with a decent free safety, another capable ILB, and even league average edge rushers, it would have been a thing of beauty in year 1.  

I was done with 3-4 edge defenders a year ago.  Dom consistently made them do the job of a 4-3 End who were 2 to 3 inches taller and 20 to 30 lbs heavier with his 4 - 2 - 5.  I'm back on the 3-4 OLB type player now that I've seen them used appropriately.  Never in my dreams would I have imagined Fackrell becoming a good player - but Pettine got the absolute most out of a guy who showed nothing up until this year.  I hope he's back.

The opportunities themselves weren't halved, but the quality of the opportunities were significantly reduced for those edge guys. We didn't stunt much this year and predominantly rushed the edge guys to occupy bodies for the blitzers.

Matthews is done. Should've been released this off-season. No doubt in my mind. 

Fackrell isn't a great player. He's an average rush guy who had an incredibly fortunate season. I highly suspect he'll never have these numbers again. But he did win a handful of pass rush reps and improved significantly as a run defender. You're talking about him upgrading himself from roster dreck to a capable 3rd rusher.

I don't know what you do with Perry next year. I think you almost have to see what he looks like in camp, but if you bring him into camp only to cut him, the decent free agents you could use that cap on will be gone. That's gonna be a really tough call. 

I still hate Pettine's 3 man rush set up.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The opportunities themselves weren't halved, but the quality of the opportunities were significantly reduced for those edge guys. We didn't stunt much this year and predominantly rushed the edge guys to occupy bodies for the blitzers.

Matthews is done. Should've been released this off-season. No doubt in my mind. 

Fackrell isn't a great player. He's an average rush guy who had an incredibly fortunate season. I highly suspect he'll never have these numbers again. But he did win a handful of pass rush reps and improved significantly as a run defender. You're talking about him upgrading himself from roster dreck to a capable 3rd rusher.

I don't know what you do with Perry next year. I think you almost have to see what he looks like in camp, but if you bring him into camp only to cut him, the decent free agents you could use that cap on will be gone. That's gonna be a really tough call. 

I still hate Pettine's 3 man rush set up.

Yes, Clay is done.  We made a major mistake with Perry.  That poor guy hasn't played up to his draft status ever.  We might have to swallow that pill and let him walk.  It really is a damn shame.

Archived