4. Drew Brees

5. Ben Roethisberger
6. Matthew Stafford
7. Matt Ryan
8. Carson Wentz
9. Philip Rivers
10. Jared Goff

11. Drop Off

That's a good list, although I think if Wentz stayed healthy and maybe won the MVP he would be in that second tier. 

12 hours ago, Danger said:

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers

3. Russel Wilson
4. Drew Brees

5. Ben Roethisberger
6. Matthew Stafford
7. Matt Ryan
8. Carson Wentz
9. Philip Rivers
10. Jared Goff

11. Drop Off

I would likely take Matt Ryan over Stafford too, he just won MVP 2 seasons ago and Stafford hasn't even come close. 

30 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I would likely take Matt Ryan over Stafford too, he just won MVP 2 seasons ago and Stafford hasn't even come close. 

Stafford would be so much more successful with a better team and coaching staff. He's carried that team solo ever since CJ retired. Atlanta has the deepest pool of weapons imaginable and an improving defense.

7 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Stafford would be so much more successful with a better team and coaching staff. He's carried that team solo ever since CJ retired. Atlanta has the deepest pool of weapons imaginable and an improving defense.

TBH I'd put both guys further down the list - Stafford's improved the past 2 seasons, but he's also been a guy who's put up #'s due to volume in his best years.    Fair to say a better cast helps him, but also fair to say CJ really carried that pair in Stafford's early years, too.  CJ made Stafford better then.  Stafford's the guy driving the bus now, and while more help would make an impact, the lofty heights we saw several years ago, it's no fluke they coincided with massive volume, and CJ there.

Ryan was the MVP in year 2 of Kyle Shanahan's system, and went back to his usual back-end top 10 play with Shanahan's departure.   If he enjoys a top 5 season this year without Shanahan (and year 2 in the new system), I'd be swayed, but I suspect 2016 was an outlier.   Ryan's more the high-floor, know-you-have-your-franchise-level guy, but I would see Wentz already passing both assuming the ACL is OK.  

I was 100% expecting this thread question to be another Wilson vs. Luck travesty, but damn this is a good question. I think right now you still have to give Brees the edge over Wilson, but I think they're certainly on the same level of QB's. Hard to evaluate and compare them since they're such different styles.

Archived