Bucs release former second round K Roberto Aguayo

pwny

I broke out in a cold sweat and had flashbacks when the Bucs made that pick. Reminded me of Mike Sherman trading up in RD3 to draft a punter(who also sucked). At least the Bucs admitted their mistake rather than hang on due to the price/investment they made in him.

15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Laughs for a second 

oh wait we drafted a punter in the 3rd round

Weeps heavily

Thanks for anger btw, hes great. 

Aguayo was the worst kicker we have ever had and he was taken in the 2nd round, just a failure of a pick, glad he is gone 

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Mentally weak? Is kicking at all different?

The theory I heard was that the Bucs (as is human nature) were excited to show off their shiny new toy, particularly in light of the criticism they faced for the pick, so started him off with hard kicks in minicamp in front of the media.  Just like golf, kicking is extremely mental and confidence is key, so when you start a guy off with iffy kicks in practice and he misses a few that starts to eat away at you, particularly when you're already under a lot of scrutiny.   Then things just snowballed from there.

I wish he would have done better.  It would have compelled more teams to try to take a kicker higher. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a good career still.  Maybe even a great one. 

71% really isn't horrible for a rookie kicker.  Gostkowski had 77% his rookie year.  So did Vinatieri.  Vinatieri had a year where he had 73.5% made and 97% on extra points when extra points were a chip shot.  Mason Crosby had a year where he was 63% on field goals. 

Sebastian Janikowski was picked in the first round, 17th overall, and he was 68% on field goals his rookie year.

I think it was a really stupid mistake for the Buccaneers to waive Aguayo.  What was an even bigger mistake was constantly saying that there was an open competition for the kicking position. 

There really isn't much physical disparity between most NFL kickers.  It's mostly mental.  There's enough pressure with being a second round pick, just as there was pressure for Janikowski to be a 17th overall pick.  The Buccaneers compounded that pressure by constantly saying there was an open competition instead of putting the requisite faith in Aguayo and letting him overcome his own mental hurdles.  They spent a second round pick on him, so they must have been confident in his ability, and yet they weren't confident enough to put all their faith in him and let him get over his bad year. 

As I've already shown, his rookie year wasn't even a historically awful year when compared to some of the very very best in the league and their rookie years. 

Just to put a final stamp on my argument,

Good Kicker careers with bad/worse starts:
Graham - 75% first year, 72% second year
Bryant - 81, 78, 75% first three years
Gould - 77% first year
Gostkowski - 77% first year
Hauschka - 50%, 69% first two years
Dawson - 66% first year, 96% EP with chip shots
Vinatieri - 77% first year, 93% chip shot EP
Suisham - 75% first year
Barth 74% second year
Josh Brown - 73% first year
Matt Stover -73, 72, 73% first three years
Matt Prater - 25%, 25%, 74% first three years
John Carney - 40% first year
John Kasay - 63% second year
Janikowski - 68% first year
Morten Anderson - 40, 75, 74% first three years

The Buccaneers made a bad choice taking a kicker in the second year.  They made a worse choice applying extra pressure on Aguayo to start off well.  They made their worst mistake when they gave up on him too soon. 

Archived