Bucs release former second round K Roberto Aguayo

pwny

3 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

Because we had information from a credible source that at least one team was planning to draft him in the third round. The same credible source also told us NYG wouldn't draft Hargreaves, so we were able to trade back and still draft the player we were targeting.

Add in that we had a huge need at kicker and the pick is understandable. It just so happens that Aguayo didn't have it.

The pick was never understandable. You used a second rounder on a guy whose best case scenario was a better version of Dan Carpenter. You could have traded a 4th or 5th round pick for a proven kicker who offered that sort of upside.

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Daily reminder that you should never draft a Kicker before the 5th round at the earliest.

FTFY since there are generally quite a few vets available as well as UDFAs.

10 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Makes more sense to me now. But still, a kicker...There's usually a proven veteran kicker hanging around in FA that can still make the hard kicks. 

Thing is, we were struggling to find a kicker. We were lucky enough to have Matt Bryant and then Connor Barth, but after Barth's injury we couldn't find a good kicker. We had guys like Kyle Brindza, who missed 10 points worth of kicks in a game we lost by 10.

Aguayo comes out with a lot of hype around his accuracy and his mental strength (apparently that's something that came across really well in interviews) and we thought we could fix the position for 15 years.

We reached for him, no doubt about it, and he didn't pan out. It happens. The shameful thing about it is that a large proportion of our fan base willed him to fail.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The pick was never understandable. You used a second rounder on a guy whose best case scenario was a better version of Dan Carpenter. You could have traded a 4th or 5th round pick for a proven kicker who offered that sort of upside.

Who would have been available for a 4th or a 5th? We literally spent years looking for a good kicker, so I'm inclined to think that that option had been explored. 

The Bucs front office had to know how much criticism they'd get for taking a kicker that high. From everything I've read about it, they were impressed with his mental strength (which obviously turned out to be spectacularly wrong view).

It's a draft pick worthy of serious criticism because its a huge reach and didn't pan out, but in the context of Licht's draft record, he gets away with risking a 3rd round pick (we packaged our 3rd and the pick we finessed from the Bears the day before) on addressing a position he values highly. 

4 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Who would have been available for a 4th or a 5th? We literally spent years looking for a good kicker, so I'm inclined to think that that option had been explored. 

The Bucs front office had to know how much criticism they'd get for taking a kicker that high. From everything I've read about it, they were impressed with his mental strength (which obviously turned out to be spectacularly wrong view).

It's a draft pick worthy of serious criticism because its a huge reach and didn't pan out, but in the context of Licht's draft record, he gets away with risking a 3rd round pick (we packaged our 3rd and the pick we finessed from the Bears the day before) on addressing a position he values highly. 

I'm sure that someone would have traded you a decent veteran kicker for a 4th or a 5th considering the turnover at the position.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm sure that someone would have traded you a decent veteran kicker for a 4th or a 5th considering the turnover at the position.

We've been building this team through the draft the last three years. And with excellent results. There was a kicker in the draft; the best to ever come out of college. It made too much sense to draft him. Trading up for him was questionable. But drafting him was 110% the right call.

41 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We've been building this team through the draft the last three years. And with excellent results. There was a kicker in the draft; the best to ever come out of college. It made too much sense to draft him. Trading up for him was questionable. But drafting him was 110% the right call.

If it was the 4th or 5th round, sure.

The 2nd round?

Oh lord no. Even if it worked out it was a gross reach.
almost as bad as someone drafting darren sproles with their first pick. ;)

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:
40 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If it was the 4th or 5th round, sure.

The 2nd round?

Oh lord no. Even if it worked out it was a gross reach.

Did you intentionally skip over the sentence before the one you bolded?

Archived