Supp Draft at 1 p m ET Today

RSkinGM

Is this trend with full intent or mere coincidence? The drafting of several players from one team. Several Va Tech guys and a bunch of Alabama defenders ? Is it actually beneficial to have College teammates in the NFL ? 

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Is this trend with full intent or mere coincidence? The drafting of several players from one team. Several Va Tech guys and a bunch of Alabama defenders ? Is it actually beneficial to have College teammates in the NFL ? 

They are consistently two of the best coached and well prepared defenses in college football. I think this plays into it quite a bit.

I have to pile on here. I love spending a 6th round pick on Alexander. It’s going to be a very interesting competition between Alexander, Holsey and Stroman for the last  or last two cornerback spots. 

This will be one of our most exciting camp battles. They all 3 have a lot of up side and Stroman brings return ability as well. 

Redskins: Alexander brings competition to DBs

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/07/16/washington-redskins-adonis-alexander-brings-competition-secondary/

On 7/14/2018 at 12:18 PM, RSkinGM said:

Assumptions of why a team would intentionally do this

1. Long term plan
    • Pros:
      1. Assuming your defense aligns with what those schools teach, it should make for a smaller ramp up time for those players as they'll understand the concepts already.
      2. The players will already know the tendencies of their teammates, so chemistry in the various position groups could come easier.
    • Cons:
      1. Assumes you will not change your defensive staff/scheme, or that the schools that you are drawing from won't change their staff/scheme.
      2. May make talent acquisition myopic, missing better players.
  2. Laziness/Cheapness
    • Pros
      1. If you don't have the time or money to scout out every prospect, focus on those schools with a track record of providing talented players.
    • Cons
      1. Means you likely will be missing better players

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

Assumptions of why a team would intentionally do this

1. Long term plan
    • Pros:
      1. Assuming your defense aligns with what those schools teach, it should make for a smaller ramp up time for those players as they'll understand the concepts already.
      2. The players will already know the tendencies of their teammates, so chemistry in the various position groups could come easier.
    • Cons:
      1. Assumes you will not change your defensive staff/scheme, or that the schools that you are drawing from won't change their staff/scheme.
      2. May make talent acquisition myopic, missing better players.
  2. Laziness/Cheapness
    • Pros
      1. If you don't have the time or money to scout out every prospect, focus on those schools with a track record of providing talented players.
    • Cons
      1. Means you likely will be missing better players

I’ll just say, I’d rather the Redskins be mostly drafting talent from Va Tech and Alabama rather than SMU and Nebraska like Shanahan did. Shanahan was close to June Jones and Bo Pelini and that’s why he focused on their players in the later rounds.

Again, Alabama/Va Tech talent > Nebraska/SMU talent.

55 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It's a shame for that kid, but at this point it looks like it may have been a wise call to wait for our Adonis instead of jumping on the Beal wagon as early as the Giants did.

Is it really that big of a loss for the Giants defense? That seems like an exaggeration from Dianna 

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well that seems like a problem because I’ve never heard of him. They’ll probably re-sign DRC and be fine.

I mean he went third in the SUPPLEMENTAL draft. He must have some talent on film.

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean he went third in the SUPPLEMENTAL draft. He must have some talent on film.

I agree he must but I still haven’t  seen him play that I recall or know much about him. The fact that the Giants are relying on Eli Apple, a 33 year old over the hill William Gay who’s lost many steps and then we’re relying on a 3rd round supplemental pick to be their #2, 3 and 4 corners year spells disaster for their secondary.

On top of that they’re switching to the 3-4 for a defense that underperformed last year based on their talent level. The switch to the 3-4 also makes their best pass rusher - Vernon - play a position he’s never played before; 3-4 ROLB.

Archived