WC Semi Final #2 - Croatia vs England

drd23

46 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

I want to rubbish all this talk of England having an easy route. Yes it fell kindly but it happens all the time.

In 2002 Germany faced en route to the final.

Saudi Arabia 8-0

Rep. Of Ireland 1-1

Cameroon 2-0

Paraguay 1-0

United States 1-0

South Korea 1-0

Brazil 0-2

Congrats, you found the one easier route in recent times.

That doesn't alter the fact that England had a dream run and lost against the first quality team they faced that wasn't missing their star player

45 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

I want to rubbish all this talk of England having an easy route. Yes it fell kindly but it happens all the time.

Saudi Arabia 8-0

Rep. Of Ireland 1-1

Cameroon 2-0

Paraguay 1-0

United States 1-0

South Korea 1-0

Brazil 0-2

That’s nearly 20 years ago. They can both be easy routes. Like it’s still fact England had an easy route, and relied heavily on set pieces to score. Its not rubbish. 

Just now, drd23 said:

Congrats, you found the one easier route in recent times.

That doesn't alter the fact that England had a dream run and lost against the first quality team they faced that wasn't missing their star player

My point wasn't trying to promote England. But now that we are out all over social media people are just throwing out our run to the semis, we all knew it was the easier route, but you wouldn't knock a tennis player for making a semi not having to play Fed, Rafa or Novak. 

Nobody is pretending we beat the greatest teams in the world.

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

That’s nearly 20 years ago. They can both be easy routes. Like it’s still fact England had an easy route, and relied heavily on set pieces to score. Its not rubbish. 

It is rubbish. You beat what's put in front of you.

Portugal were dreadful during Euro 2016 but who cares when they went on to win it.

Everybody knows we had an easy run, I'm sick of people suddenly being super critical of our route as if we didn't already acknowledge it was the simplest route.

1 minute ago, UKTexans said:

It is rubbish. You beat what's put in front of you.

Portugal were dreadful during Euro 2016 but who cares when they went on to win it.

Everybody knows we had an easy run, I'm sick of people suddenly being super critical of our route as if we didn't already acknowledge it was the simplest route.

Yes you play what’s in front you and you still have to play. But if you’re assesing a teams performance and how they played you can’t ignore them. 

Portugal are regarded as one of the worst winners of that competition ever and still they WON the competition.If England had gone on to win it then you can’t criticise it because they would’ve beaten somebody credible. They had a lot of luck. Then you have people using that easy to route to basically look past Croatia and be over confident as if Croatia aren’t a better team.  It’s a fair knock and it proved to be correct in the end.

17 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yes you play what’s in front you and you still have to play. But if you’re assesing a teams performance and how they played you can’t ignore them. 

I don't know of a single England fan who ignored it.

Just because of the endless memes and media don't be fooled, most England fans were fully aware how lucky we had been and our failures.

Now though people seem to be using it as a stick to beat England fans with. Just really irritating.

45 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

I don't know of a single England fan who ignored it.

Just because of the endless memes and media don't be fooled, most England fans were fully aware how lucky we had been and our failures.

Now though people seem to be using it as a stick to beat England fans with. Just really irritating.

For me, the fans haven’t bothered me. They’ve just been riding the momentum and the slogan. The media is THE reason why I rooted for England to lose. Obnoxious and laughably overconfident. And I think a lot of the detractors are more annoyed at the media and so the fans and media are on the receiving end of it even though the ire should be aimed at media. Like Modric said, be humble and show more respect to opponents.

30 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

For me, the fans haven’t bothered me. They’ve just been riding the momentum and the slogan. The media is THE reason why I rooted for England to lose. Obnoxious and laughably overconfident. And I think a lot of the detractors are more annoyed at the media and so the fans and media are on the receiving end of it even though the ire should be aimed at media. Like Modric said, be humble and show more respect to opponents.

But that's the British media and most countries media.

Hype, hype, hype.

To be fair other than the tongue in cheek "it's coming home" memes, I have found the media this time to have actually been mildly reserved.

The headline in the Sun before the 2010 world cup was EASY. (England, Algeria, Slovakia and Yanks)

This time the tables were turned, almost zero expectations then getting carried away by the feel good factor.

2 hours ago, UKTexans said:

Saudi Arabia 8-0

Rep. Of Ireland 1-1

Cameroon 2-0

Paraguay 1-0

United States 1-0

South Korea 1-0

Brazil 0-2

I remember that and find it laughable how people think Germany was better than England that year because "they got to the final" when they both lost to the same team, England just earlier. Also 2006, England lost penalties to Portugal. Germany won penalties to Argentina as the host nation. 

Germany have been better since then and before the mid 90's but the - Germany is always just better, idea is also based on some luck falling their way when they weren't number 1 (also 2008 Euros)

3 minutes ago, The Hitch said:

I remember that and find it laughable how people think Germany was better than England that year because "they got to the final" when they both lost to the same team, England just earlier.

If you speak to Ireland fans they said they were the better team in their group game with Germany (I think Dietmar Hamann was quoted too) and they would have made the final if that result had gone their way.

I'm excited for the future.

Take this starting 11 and add to it Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden, Joe Willock, Ryan Sessegnon, Lewis Cook, Joe Gomez, Mason Holgate etc. and we could have a legitimately good side. Or they could all fail and we're back to 2008 again.

1 minute ago, kempus said:

I hope Winks regains fitness next season. He's exactly what we were missing yesterday. Someone who can put their foot on the ball and control the tempo of the game.

Yes indeed. Mistakenly overlooked him.

Yesterday there was a chasm between Henderson and Lingard/Alli which Croatia were just strolling about in.

That's what has irritated me. Southgate doesn't seem able to make in game changes.

Archived