WC Semi Final #2 - Croatia vs England

drd23

7 hours ago, UKTexans said:

Based on the second half and ET alone this was comfortably Croatia's game.

We had the odd moment but after the first half we really took a step back.

Does this WC beat 2014? I mean that was a hell of an exciting tournament.

I think this World Cup has been more 'interesting' in the sense that it's been far more wide open, but in terms of the actual quality of football it's been quite poor. Just seems like it's been an entire tournament of set piece goals. International football is always a bit of a mixed bag but there hasn't been a team in this tournament that has captivated me as a neutral in the way that a team like the 2014 Colombia side did, for example. 

12 hours ago, UKTexans said:

I'm excited for the future.

Take this starting 11 and add to it Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden, Joe Willock, Ryan Sessegnon, Lewis Cook, Joe Gomez, Mason Holgate etc. and we could have a legitimately good side. Or they could all fail and we're back to 2008 again.

That's fine just as long as you don't assume that because the team is young now that Qatar will be England's for the taking (which is the impression I've gotten from some media and English fans).

11 hours ago, UKTexans said:

I mean based on the first 45 minutes was that entirely false?

Based on the first 45 minutes the game was fairly even.  After the first 20 or so minutes England reverted to old school "route 1" football where it looked like Sterling had gotten behind the defense but it wasn't all that dangerous.

Gary Neville sounds like he's an arrogant * who can't be unbiased in his analysis based on a few comments he's made this tournament

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Based on the first 45 minutes the game was fairly even.  After the first 20 or so minutes England reverted to old school "route 1" football where it looked like Sterling had gotten behind the defense but it wasn't all that dangerous.

Gary Neville sounds like he's an arrogant * who can't be unbiased in his analysis based on a few comments he's made this tournament

What’s funny is that before the game they were confident they could which they are entitled to do (although some really underestimated Croatia) but then after the game they point out accolades of the a lot of Croatia players. Well I was like duhhhhhhhhhh you should’ve acknowledged that before. This England team was exposed truth be told. Croatia are a very good team and have a fair chance to beat France Sunday although I would still view France as favourites.

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

That's fine just as long as you don't assume that because the team is young now that Qatar will be England's for the taking (which is the impression I've gotten from some media and English fans).

What fans? Literally haven't met anyone who's even mentioned Qatar.

14 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think this World Cup has been more 'interesting' in the sense that it's been far more wide open, but in terms of the actual quality of football it's been quite poor. Just seems like it's been an entire tournament of set piece goals. International football is always a bit of a mixed bag but there hasn't been a team in this tournament that has captivated me as a neutral in the way that a team like the 2014 Colombia side did, for example. 

I have to agree with this. There was about 6 teams that could win it this year which made it fun but the quality was pretty poor, too many penalties, and I still don't like VAR

11 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Someone's a little delusional

36985511_2019721004718190_50888307286621

I'm not even sure he'll be the 3rd bet CB on the field on Sunday, let alone one of the best defenders in the world

He's probably the 3rd best CB in his household.

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Someone's a little delusional

36985511_2019721004718190_50888307286621

I'm not even sure he'll be the 3rd best CB on the field on Sunday, let alone one of the best defenders in the world

To be fair, Varane may be the best CB in the world right now and Umtiti is also very good. I think you can argue that Lovren is in the top 10 of CBs. I never thought I would say that after his Lyon years

34 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

To be fair, Varane may be the best CB in the world right now and Umtiti is also very good. I think you can argue that Lovren is in the top 10 of CBs. I never thought I would say that after his Lyon years

He isn't. Even close.

11 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

He isn't. Even close.

As I don't watch a ton of PL who would you consider as a better CB ? I have Ramos, Varane, Umtiti, Pique, Godin, Silva, Chiellini, Hummels and Boateng for sure, but I'm unsure about the PL guys. 

Archived