WC Semi Final #2 - Croatia vs England

drd23

3 minutes ago, PAW said:

Is there any midfield talent coming up?

They won a European youth championship a month or two ago didn't they?  Plus guys like RLC will presumably develop further

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

I pulled up England's wikipedia to see recent call ups after seeing how bad their midfield was earlier in the tournament.  Even those options are terrible.  Is there any midfield talent coming up?

I for the life of me still can't understand why Milner wasn't called up. He definitely could have done a job  in the midfield. 

As far as midfield talent coming up I'd say Lewis Cook is probably the most intriguing, or maybe Josh Onomah.(and I still wouldn't sleep on RLC) But England does seem to have a lot of young wide talent coming up, so I guess that's encouraging for them. 

Just now, drd23 said:

They won a European youth championship a month or two ago didn't they?  Plus guys like RLC will presumably develop further

That doesn't really mean much.  How many of guys on those teams typically end up being star players?

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

That Kane chance is gonna go down in history. England were absolutely all over them to start and I don't see a way back for Croatia if they go down 2-0 there. 

Yea I mentioned earlier in the thread, but can you imagine if it was Sterling who missed that?  England would probably ban him from returning.  He definitely should've shot given the situation, but it was ironic that Sterling was wide open for a tap in if he played a square ball.

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

That Kane chance is gonna go down in history. England were absolutely all over them to start and I don't see a way back for Croatia if they go down 2-0 there. 

That Kane chance was vital. But people are grossly overstating joe England were playing to that point. They got in some great positions in the final third a couple times in the first half but it was at best a balanced game. England could not push the ball into the final third pretty much the whole game. They scored early and allowed Croatia to have the ball throughout. Their best outlet was a hoof upfield by Pickford. 

England lacked experience and talent imho. They worked superbly as a team and their set pieces were mastery. But in the end, it's hard to reach the WC final with only 2-3 legitimately very good/great players. 

@Shady Slim you're my man, but we're winning this. Great job on reaching the final, but this is the end for you guys :-)

Archived