WC Semi Final #2 - Croatia vs England

drd23

6 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

Defensively we are an absolute shambles.

And Southgate really lacked a plan B. Or even A.2.

For once the Craig Burley made a good point. England subs were too much like for like as opposed to try change the structure and dynamic of the game. 

From the like the 20th min onwards it’s was all Croatia.

6 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

Alli was invisible again. How he managed to finish the game I'll never know.

I don't know that he was invisible. To me the problem with England was that they don't link up well/at all for large parts of the game. The midfield doesn't control possession very well or sustain pressure. There aren't many good balls through to the front either. We seemed to rely to much on individual flashes to score. So while I wouldn't say he was invisible, I don't think he had much of an impact either, but nor did anyone else.

10 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I don't know that he was invisible. To me the problem with England was that they don't link up well/at all for large parts of the game. The midfield doesn't control possession very well or sustain pressure. There aren't many good balls through to the front either. We seemed to rely to much on individual flashes to score. So while I wouldn't say he was invisible, I don't think he had much of an impact either, but nor did anyone else.

He was invisible. Whether it was his own fault or the tactics, the guy barely made an impression on the game.

Henderson is not good enough to play that pivot role.

You know what the most disappointing thing is.

After two 120 minute game's and penalty shoot outs. Mandzukic was the first to the ball for the second goal. The man basically had to be carried off the field and he was the first to react. Shocking.

15 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

For once the Craig Burley made a good point. England subs were too much like for like as opposed to try change the structure and dynamic of the game. 

From the like the 20th min onwards it’s was all Croatia.

I agree and it's a point I made to a friend before the Sweden game, we named the same starting eleven every game apart from when Alli was injured.

Southgate had plan A and plan A. I'm not going to knock him for getting us this far, but tactically he's been found wanting.

27 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

After two 120 minute game's and penalty shoot outs. Mandzukic was the first to the ball for the second goal. The man basically had to be carried off the field and he was the first to react. Shocking.

Stones and Maguire just assumed that Perisic couldn't head the ball towards goal so momentarily switched off, hence they weren't ready to react.  I think that has more to do with mentality than it does fatigue

52 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

Alli was invisible again. How he managed to finish the game I'll never know.

He wasn't alone.  Henderson was even more invisible.  Kane mixed a couple of good moments into a largely terrible game.  Lingard was also worse than Alli

37 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

That’s got nothing to do with fatigue though. It’s instinct and reading the game, something Stones has always struggled with. That play wasn’t an effort issue. 

37 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

I agree and it's a point I made to a friend before the Sweden game, we named the same starting eleven every game apart from when Alli was injured.

Southgate had plan A and plan A. I'm not going to knock him for getting us this far, but tactically he's been found wanting.

Agreed. I was really impressed with the way Southgate carried himself. He is clearly an exceptional motivator. But tactically was less than impressive. 

7 minutes ago, drd23 said:

He wasn't alone.  Henderson was even more invisible.  Kane mixed a couple of good moments into a largely terrible game.  Lingard was also worse than Alli

Agreed. Alli was great the first twenty minutes which is when England was best. He didn’t do much the rest of the game, but can you name anyone on England who did? Maybe Sterling? I think RLC should have played over Lingard. England had no one who could pick out a pass, and that was evident way before today. 

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Hopefully in 4 years Sterling will learn how to shoot...

Sterling does know how to shoot if the manager plays him properly as a Wing. Play him as an out and out Striker and he will never be what you want. But even still, he did what was needed. His runs this entire tournament created space for England's players. Not his fault they couldn't score from open play to save their lives this tournament. Sterling is always going to bottle some sitters. But Pep showed how to make him an effective player and Southgate borrowed SOME of that.

1 hour ago, PAW said:

That’s got nothing to do with fatigue though. It’s instinct and reading the game, something Stones has always struggled with. That play wasn’t an effort issue. 

Yup.  You see it in his play for City as well.  If he doesn't have Kompany or Fernandino to orient him and provide on-pitch instruction, he's woefully average and typically underperforms.  Walker doesn't provide that, I'm not sure Maguire has been asked to do that so I can't say one way or the other whether I believe he's capable of doing it consistently.  Dier definitely doesn't do it.  Once Henderson when off, all bets were off.

1 hour ago, UKTexans said:

I saw this too.  As soon as it was clear (right around the 65th minute, IIRC) that Alli was more interested in fishing for fouls and starting fights with the Croatian players, I found myself thinking THAT was the right time to sub him off for Vardy (if Southgate wanted to switch up the formation) or Loftus-Cheek if he wanted to keep the same shape but change the manner with which England were trying to attack.

Man I love Modric. For his play on the field today and what he said after the game. Biggest reason why I rooted against England. 

England were a flawed team and the chances of them getting this close again are slim. Missed opportunity. Kane has been unimpressive this tournament but those 6 goals will gloss over that completely. Sterling was England best player.

21 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Man I love Modric. For his play on the field today and what he said after the game. Biggest reason why I rooted against England. 

England were a flawed team and the chances of them getting this close again are slim. Missed opportunity. Kane has been unimpressive this tournament but those 6 goals will gloss over that completely. Sterling was England best player.

All of this is true. Nobody could have dreamed England would get that far though. Great run with the lack of talent the team has. 

Archived