Bucs release former 2nd round pick Aguayo

pwny

8 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I imagine that one stings a bit. I knew he had been bad thus far, but that type of investment, you hope it brings back more than what he did.

A move that had to be done.  By keeping him it would have sent a terrible message to all the players.   For Aguayo,  hopefully getting a fresh start will allow him to resume his career in the future. 

Damn. I get the move but why not let him ride out the entire pre-season?

He can kick, he just can't mentally get his nerves down.

I swear, Licht drafting him in the 2nd round ruined his career. If some team takes him in the 5th, I feel like he would be good. He clearly cannot handle the spotlight of having high expectations of being a 2nd round kicker.

Good. Needed to be done. After seeing him miss an extra point and a FG from the same distance Folk made one last night, writing was on the wall. Better to do it now then drag it out all offseason and cause a distraction. It was obvious nothing changed with Aguayo.

Here's to drafting a kicker in the 6th or 7th round in 2018!

I really wanted Aguayo to make it, but it just didn't come together for him on the field. Another kicker could be brought in since both Folk and Aguayo have had an up-and-down camp.

I don't look down on Licht too much for drafting him where he did. Look at what Aguayo did in college. He's the guy Licht wanted and he went and got him. Maybe another team was considering him in the 2nd and the trade was made to ensure we got him. Not all picks work out. Licht has drafted pretty well overall. Hindsight is 20/20.

In the end, this looks like from the outside a bad move for Licht to take him in the 2nd but like others have said, who knows what was being said in the war rooms around the league.  By getting rid of the mistake and the ability to admit it is what makes it ok.  Yes, we can say what if we took someone else but can't that be said with every pick out there. instead of Brian Price in 2010, we could've had Gronk yet most were happy that we double dipped at DT and how'd that pan out.  

The sign of a great GM is willing to take those risks, willing to admit it was a mistake and move on quickly instead of being arrogant about it and riding it out. 

5 hours ago, Calibucsfan said:

Damn. I get the move but why not let him ride out the entire pre-season?

He can kick, he just can't mentally get his nerves down.

I swear, Licht drafting him in the 2nd round ruined his career. If some team takes him in the 5th, I feel like he would be good. He clearly cannot handle the spotlight of having high expectations of being a 2nd round kicker.

Really... Bucs being so high on him they selected him in the second round and that is what ruined his career. He was never built to handle the load if that is what took him down. Kickers need to be mentally strong and by the looks of things he was lacking in that department.

58 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

Really... Bucs being so high on him they selected him in the second round and that is what ruined his career. He was never built to handle the load if that is what took him down. Kickers need to be mentally strong and by the looks of things he was lacking in that department.

Jenakawski, who was a first round kicker had a worse rookie year than Aguayo

47 minutes ago, Calibucsfan said:

Jenakawski, who was a first round kicker had a worse rookie year than Aguayo

Part of Janikowski's poor percentages early in his career were because they always tried 65+ yard FGs because he had the leg to do it. I remember him lining up for a 70 yarder once.

13 hours ago, Gruber74 said:

I really wanted Aguayo to make it, but it just didn't come together for him on the field. Another kicker could be brought in since both Folk and Aguayo have had an up-and-down camp.

I don't look down on Licht too much for drafting him where he did. Look at what Aguayo did in college. He's the guy Licht wanted and he went and got him. Maybe another team was considering him in the 2nd and the trade was made to ensure we got him. Not all picks work out. Licht has drafted pretty well overall. Hindsight is 20/20.

Tennessee apparently were going to take him in the 3rd, which is why we moved up.

Licht will get a lot of flak for the full thing, but his draft record has been good enough so far to mean this doesn't count against him as much as it possibly should.

Archived