2018 Supplemental Draft Results(Beal to NYG, Alexander to Washington)

JaguarCrazy2832

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-supplemental-draft-grades-giants-redskins-both-pick-up-secondary-help/

Surprised to see it wasn't posted yet

Beal in Round 3 to the Giants and Alexander to the Redskins in Round 6.

I agree Beal is much better but Alexander in round 6 is practically nothing and considering how 6th rounders sometimes dont even stick around, that was worth the shot in the dark

28 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

but Alexander in round 6 is practically nothing

Because he is practically nothing. He's a big dude that routinely got roasted by WR's. I think the 6th round was exactly where he would have gone in a normal draft.

Same for Beal. Beal is much better than Alexander, but I think he got drafted exactly where he would have gone in a normal draft. Beal has the chance to be a starter in time, but the talk of him going in the 1st-2nd round in a regular draft seemed way off base when I watched the tape.

Brandon Bryant is expected to sign with the Jets after going undrafted the supplemental draft. 

Jets have two young S in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye - so not like he's going to get a shot at S, will probably play a ton of ST.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Can't Adonis Alexander play Safety?

The Redskins CB coach also coached Adonis at VT.  So there's familiarity with the system.

I think that helps a lot and is well worth a 6th round flier.

19 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The Redskins CB coach also coached Adonis at VT.  So there's familiarity with the system.

I think that helps a lot and is well worth a 6th round flier.

Let's face it, his film is up and down, and he was drafted more on projection and possible scheme fit.  He's a press-man CB, not a quick-twitch guy - those WR's ate him for lunch.  I'm kind of surprised SEA didn't want him in the 5th, but early 6th is about right.   He's got the size for S for sure, but the team's history with him, they clearly have something specific in mind. 

Beal was a nice get for the Gmen, they definitely addressed a need area.  The depth chart after Jenkins and Apple was really thin.  Even if they don't improve enough to be a playoff team, they used the 3.2 position to spend a future 3rd that's more likely a 3.10-19 type spot, and of course, a year later if they passed.  

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let's face it, his film is up and down, and he was drafted more on projection and possible scheme fit.  He's a press-man CB, not a quick-twitch guy.  I'm kind of surprised SEA didn't want him in the 5th, but early 6th is about right.   He's got the size for S for sure, but the team's history with him, they clearly have something specific in mind. 

Beal was a nice get for the Gmen, they definitely addressed a need area.  The depth chart after Jenkins and Apple was really thin.

I agree that Beal was a great get for NYG.

I was just saying that I think scheme familiarity will really help Adonis as he won't be as far behind mentally as he would be had he gone elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I agree that Beal was a great get for NYG.

I was just saying that I think scheme familiarity will really help Adonis as he won't be as far behind mentally as he would be had he gone elsewhere.

Yeah, I was addressing both signings, my statement on Adonis & Beal were completely separate.  Too lazy to do 2 posts.   Re: Adonis, the whiff rate is so high at Rd6, if they know him and see something even more than a ST ace, it's a win.  It's not like ppl can worry about the price.   The one curious thing is that WAS really did load up on CB's (although man, losing Fuller stings).   You have to wonder if they're trying to find lightning in a bottle to prepare themselves for life after Josh Norman - since his salary is no longer guaranteed after this year.   Once CB's hit the 30's, the decline can come quickly, so they seem to be hedging their bets to load up for life after #24 (Moreau I think will be fine, unlucky injury last year). 

One thing to note is that the Redskins were projected to have 11 picks next year, with 4 comp picks likely on the way, so it's smart to get a 2019 pick in here now to groom in the system a year early, and spread out the 2019 impact of a bunch of rookies coming in at once.

As for the actual pick itself, it's a long-shot, but I have a lot of faith in Torrian Gray, our DB coach.  He helped Fuller go from looking like one of the worst CB's in the league in 2016 (year before Gray got to WAS) to looking like a top 3 slot CB in 2017.  He also developed Montae Nicholson into a potential stud in the making.  I'm interested to see what he can do with Moreau and Apke, and I wouldn't bet against him getting something out of Adonis.

Also, it's not like we're not used to having slow CBs in this scheme, lol.

EDIT:  This is pretty cool.  I bet these guys were hyped enough to quit the game when they found out... probably not though.  I know how much these kids love Fortnite. :P

Archived