Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JaguarCrazy2832

Auction League Draft Tips

Recommended Posts

Okay so this isn't my 1st auction league and i actually won it last year but mostly because of working the waiver wire very well. I want a more well thought out plan for the draft. It is a 14 team league(which is 4 spots larger than last so and idea of how that changes things would help) I put together my list of 196 "draftable" people(14 people x 14 roster spots) and put in ESPN's auction projected costs as a baseline and moved them up/down based on my own projections, but i have like >$300 left to allocate and think that is crazy high considering ESPN had their set for a 10 team league, i would think in a 14 team league, top guys would cost less.

Any advice on larger auction drafts as far as the $? Or any in-draft tips? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody?

Another thing I'm wondering is about QBs. Like spending a hair more on a QB/TE wouldnt be so bad since we are bidding for FA acquisitions and most likely they will be RB/WRs so is it better strategy to snag a better QB/TE since 14 of them will be started

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive only done one auction but the only thing i suggest is throwing out people you know you dont want first, so people overbid on them and waste their money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SimsZilla said:

ive only done one auction but the only thing i suggest is throwing out people you know you dont want first, so people overbid on them and waste their money

Yea I know that one, also i kind of want to throw out a kicker at some point sort of early but not before the 5th or 6th which seems weird but i bet Gostkowski goes for money than $1 then that guy just wasted money too

I'm very curious how the increased size affects the auction though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a budget for each position and then a  breakdown within each position.  depending on scoring and starting requirements....

35-40% RB

35-40% WR

15-20% QB

5-10% TE

RB1= 25%, RB2= 8%, RB3 3%, etc

Know what positions or players within each position you would be willing to spend more on...then where you are comfortable spending less.  Some are happy to stream QB or TE but need top tier at RB and WR.  Others are fine with mid tier WR but want a top tier TE or QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Have a budget for each position and then a  breakdown within each position.  depending on scoring and starting requirements....

35-40% RB

35-40% WR

15-20% QB

5-10% TE

RB1= 25%, RB2= 8%, RB3 3%, etc

Know what positions or players within each position you would be willing to spend more on...then where you are comfortable spending less.  Some are happy to stream QB or TE but need top tier at RB and WR.  Others are fine with mid tier WR but want a top tier TE or QB.  

Thats an interesting gameplan but i feel like it is hard to modify mid-draft. Like if you spend 30% on a #1 RB you have to allocate the rest out pretty quickly since you are always OTC but setting up the %s lets you gain an idea of what your team is like

Also @squire12 & @SimsZilla how much depth is too much depth? Like considering you have an equal chance at every FA because of bidding during the season, I feel like i would be better off spending say 85%($170) of my budget on a QB, 6 RB-WRs combined and a TE and the remaining $30 on the last 6-8 guys. I feel like it is risky if someone gets hurt but if people all i need is like 1-2 guys off waivers for the year, i can outbid everyone for them and have an elite-caliber team set up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thats an interesting gameplan but i feel like it is hard to modify mid-draft. Like if you spend 30% on a #1 RB you have to allocate the rest out pretty quickly since you are always OTC but setting up the %s lets you gain an idea of what your team is like

Also @squire12 & @SimsZilla how much depth is too much depth? Like considering you have an equal chance at every FA because of bidding during the season, I feel like i would be better off spending say 85%($170) of my budget on a QB, 6 RB-WRs combined and a TE and the remaining $30 on the last 6-8 guys. I feel like it is risky if someone gets hurt but if people all i need is like 1-2 guys off waivers for the year, i can outbid everyone for them and have an elite-caliber team set up

If you can do a few mock auctions through ESPN to get a sense of what the players will be going for that you like it will greatly help you game plan for your actual auction.  You are right that it can be hard, but having a plan and being prepared minimizes the stress of that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squire12 said:

If you can do a few mock auctions through ESPN to get a sense of what the players will be going for that you like it will greatly help you game plan for your actual auction.  You are right that it can be hard, but having a plan and being prepared minimizes the stress of that.  

Unfortunately ESPN and most places dont do 14 team auction mocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm In a 14 man auction league as well, don't be afraid to spend up on the big name guys. You need top tier talent and In a league that big having one or two top tier studs will help out a lot! I know the DJs, Zekes, A-Rods, JJ, OBJs, Bell guys like that all go for 55 dollars and up. Given this is a TD league and a non ppr league. Stoked for this upcoming FF season! stoked for the forums and all the good reads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I'm In a 14 man auction league as well, don't be afraid to spend up on the big name guys. You need top tier talent and In a league that big having one or two top tier studs will help out a lot! I know the DJs, Zekes, A-Rods, JJ, OBJs, Bell guys like that all go for 55 dollars and up. Given this is a TD league and a non ppr league. Stoked for this upcoming FF season! stoked for the forums and all the good reads.

Yea i feel like my strategy is to spend ~100-105 on 2 Top-10 RBs as i think the value for the other positions is very strong in the low 20s/high teens. Having a solid foundation is big and since the waiver wire is so different too I’m not afraid to come away with little depth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea i feel like my strategy is to spend ~100-105 on 2 Top-10 RBs as i think the value for the other positions is very strong in the low 20s/high teens. Having a solid foundation is big and since the waiver wire is so different too I’m not afraid to come away with little depth

Not sure if you have found some auction value sites.  This is adjustable for league size and PPR/non ppr.  You can also select the team budget, might need to use some added conversion to get the auction budget to be similar to your league.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/auction-values/calculator.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, squire12 said:

Not sure if you have found some auction value sites.  This is adjustable for league size and PPR/non ppr.  You can also select the team budget, might need to use some added conversion to get the auction budget to be similar to your league.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/auction-values/calculator.php

Thanks squire! I feel confident in the $ part which is why I’ve been pushing for auction style bc my friends either spend 90% on 3 guys or 60% on 15 lol but i always want to make sure I’m allocating right. I feel like ESPN’s make no sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thanks squire! I feel confident in the $ part which is why I’ve been pushing for auction style bc my friends either spend 90% on 3 guys or 60% on 15 lol but i always want to make sure I’m allocating right. I feel like ESPN’s make no sense

Auctions are "tough" as each owner and each league will value players vastly different.  I think if you have a good handle on what an "appropriate" value is for players, it can help you from overspending and also finding good value when it is there to be had.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×