Make The Case For Why Your Team Will And Won’t Have A Sucessful 2018 Season? Best And Worst Case Scenario?

stl4life07

Why the Dolphins Will succeed-Tannehill is back, he was really coming along the last 8 games of the season in 2016 and we were the 13th best offense during those  8 games. With the chance to further absorb the playbook in 2017 we might just have a borderline top 10 offense. Drake really came along last season and if he can stay healthy might just give us a good ground game paired with Gore who despite his age was still serviceable. Our coke snorting OL coach is off the team so maybe we'll see some improvement from Tunsil who will be pair with a good guard in Sitton to form a strong left side. Mike Gisecki gives us a potentially good TE, Julius Thomas was really really really slow and bad.

Why the Dolphins won't succeed-I said might 2 times, maybe one time and potentially one time. Too many ??? and our defense lost Suh and weren't that good to begin with.

Eagles

Best case Adding the 5 injured Pro Bowlers back to the roster along with FA/the draft only strengthen's what was already a top 5 Offense and Defense during their 2017 SB run. Depth and now backup starting experience at numerous positions only helps this team back to another deep playoff run. Jones ,Barnett, Darby, Ajayi, Clement and Goedert make massive strides /contributions as 1st and 2nd year players. NFCCG/SB

Worse case the typical SB hangover that occurs with most teams happens. Wentz , Peters, Hicks, Sproles and Maragos don't return to form. Team is yet again decimated by injuries to "key positions" but as a "unit" don't respond because they are complacent and living off last year's success. Offense regresses, Defense gets exploited. Last place in the NFCE/Top 10 pick

Best Case Scenario

We start the season 2-1. The additions of Jensen at center and Rojo in the backfield takes the pressure off Fitzmagic and we can actually run the ball. This helps keep our new and improved defensive line fresh and all the additions take us from one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the better ones. Jameis comes back week four and picks up where he left off last year. He's accurate and quick with his decision making. We finally see what all these weapons can do as we score 30+ per game. The running game that looked like a strength the first few weeks gives the offense a balance we've never seen before. We win 11 games.

Worst Case Scenario

We start the season 0-3. Fitzmagic shows his age and looks awful. Jensen's one year of dominance in the run game was just that. None of our RBs look spectacular, aside from Rojo breaking a long run every once in a while. But most of his runs are stuffed at the line as he tries to dance everything outside. Jameis comes back and looks like the up and down QB we've all come to frustratingly know. He throws dimes and moves us all over the field. He ends drives by forcing throws into coverage and holding the ball too long and fumbling in the pocket. Our defense continues its usual sieve-like being. Our new and improved dline doesn't do enough to hide our underwhelming secondary. We win four games.

Houston Texans

Why we will succeed: Watson stays healthy.

Why we won't succeed: Our patchwork offensive line sends Watson to IR.

Best case scenario: Top 5 offense and defense leads us to a 12+ win season and a top berth in the AFC.

Worst case scenario: Watt is toast, Watson goes down and we finish 4-12 and BOB is sent packing.

19 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Rams 

Why they will succeed - Best offense in 2017 just got better with the addition of Cooks plus the continuity on offense will be there with another year to grow under McVay. The defense got better with the additions of high quality talent that fit what Wade wants to do on defense.

Why they won’t succeed - It’s simple, injuries. Can’t predict them but they can and will happen. If the injuries hit hard enough the Rams won’t have a successful 2018 season. There is something to be said by how important it is to have a great medical staff/training staff like the Rams do have and a coach that knows how to manage the players during a long tough season like McVay showed last season. But again we know injuries can and will happen and if it hits hard enough it could definitely hurt the Rams chances for a successful season in 2018.

Best case scenario - Rams get the 1 or 2 seed and get either a bye + hfa OR a bye then make it to the NFCCG with a chance to go to the SB.

Worst case scenario - Rams wins the NFCW but gets the 3 or 4 seed and either win one game in the playoffs and get bounced in the divisional round OR have a repeat of last season and get bounced in the wild card round.

I feel like you have a mighty high expectation of your team if you think the only reason you won't succeed is injuries and also worst case is you win your division even if its a crap division. 

I would assume Jared Goff would be a huge reason why you might not succeed. That he plays somewhere between 2016 and 2017 levels. Odds are he doesnt repeat his amazing 4:1 TD to INT ratio. Thats not to say i think the Rams won't be successful but everyone can come in and say injuries will be the worst case but unless you have someone that has a history of injuries and you didnt name names, then it seems like a very blanket statement. 

Best case scenario: Defense remains tough to beat despite losing Colvin and Poz and it allows us to play our game of smash mouth football and force you to throw to our Top-10 rated CBs. Adding Norwell to a 100% healthy Fournette means putting up very high rush numbers

Worst case scenario: The defense isn't as good as last year, Campbell shows his age more and Dareus' legal trouble keeps him off the field which hurts our run defense and Bortles has to do more to compensate but cant. Miss the playoffs

Cleveland Browns

Why they will succeed - Tyrod Taylor is a MASSIVE upgrade over Deshone Kizer and any QB we’ve had since the return. Kizer threw 6 more interceptions last year than Taylor did in his 3 years combined at Buffalo. I strongly feel David Njoku has a breakout year. Our secondary will be significantly better. I really like our running-backs.

Why they won’t succeed - Hue Jackson is garbage as hell. I read an article that mentioned him as the worst coach in the NFL at time management. I don’t trust anybody outside of Myles Garrett to apply a consistent pass rush. The left tackle spot is shaky at best. I don’t trust Josh Gordon.

Best case scenario - Win 7-9 games.

Worst case scenario - Picking #1 again.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like you have a mighty high expectation of your team if you think the only reason you won't succeed is injuries and also worst case is you win your division even if its a crap division. 

I would assume Jared Goff would be a huge reason why you might not succeed. That he plays somewhere between 2016 and 2017 levels. Odds are he doesnt repeat his amazing 4:1 TD to INT ratio. Thats not to say i think the Rams won't be successful but everyone can come in and say injuries will be the worst case but unless you have someone that has a history of injuries and you didnt name names, then it seems like a very blanket statement. 

I agree that if Goff takes a step back and that will hurt the team. I don’t think it’s likely just because he adjusted quickly with new pieces and in a new system that now everything will slow down for him even more being in year 2 of the system and being familiar with all of his weapons and that includes Cooks whom he worked out with during the offseasons before Cooks even became a Ram. 

I only said injuries because I believe the Rams are head and shoulders above the teams in the NFCW that I can’t see them not winning the division unless injuries derail them. I’ll say the same thing about the Pats. Every other division in the NFL has strong competition where I can’t just say injuries. 

Best case for the Vikings: Kirk Cousins lives up to his deal, Dalvin Cook comes back without any lingering knee problems, Diggs and Thielen steal the show again and the defense continues to be dominant. The Vikings don't hit the injury bug and make it all the way to the SB....and (gasp!) maybe win it this time. 

Worst case for the Vikings: Cousins struggles early and never finds his groove, Cook doesn't look the same The entire Oline looks like they've taken lessons from TJ Clemmings and become a total mess, and the defense manages to get exploited weekly like they did against the Eagles in the NFCCG. The Vikings struggle to go 7-9.

Best case for the Raiders:

-Gruden proves to be a brilliant mind at the level of McVay/Shannahan/Pederson

-Carr returns to his ascending top 10 qb level

-Our rookies on defense (Arden Key, Maurice Hurst, Nick Nelson) boom big and Kolton miller plays well for a right tackle

-Guenther gets the most out of a defense that played far better under pagano and our new players/ones coming off injury (Melvin, Conley, Derrick Johnson, Whitehead, Gilchrist) excel.

12-4, We make the AFCCG and lose to the Patriots.

Worst case:

Carr plays at a mediocre level, Gruden underhwelms, our rookies bust/get injured, the defense looks as lost as ever.

4-12

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I agree that if Goff takes a step back and that will hurt the team. I don’t think it’s likely just because he adjusted quickly with new pieces and in a new system that now everything will slow down for him even more being in year 2 of the system and being familiar with all of his weapons and that includes Cooks whom he worked out with during the offseasons before Cooks even became a Ram. 

I only said injuries because I believe the Rams are head and shoulders above the teams in the NFCW that I can’t see them not winning the division unless injuries derail them. I’ll say the same thing about the Pats. Every other division in the NFL has strong competition where I can’t just say injuries. 

I would just say Goff is far from a season to season proven commodity. There is more tape on him with the improvements he made and now teams can adjust. This whole thing is supposed to be, how do you see something going if it turns negative and saying Goff regresses after a strong 2017 isn't nearly as farfetched given his resume

Colts 

Best Case Scenario - Andrew Luck is healthy, improved offensive line boosts rushing and passing attacks, competitive preseason DL battle leads to more pressures and sacks. Malik Hooker and Clayton Geathers both at 100% force many turnovers. Colts finish 10-6 and eck out a wild card spot 

Worst Case Scenario - Luck has another set back, running back by committee fails to make any headway. Jabaal Sheard remains the only DL able to get pressure. 4-12

realistically I see us getting between 6 wins to as many as 9 wins but the chance to steal a win or two is there.  

Best Case Scenario - Cam Newton is healthy for the first time since 2015, allowing him to rekindle some of the magic from that year with the best supporting cast he has had on offense and a new offensive coordinator.  The defense is consistent as per usual under Rivera, with Bradberry making that 3rd-year step. (11+ wins)

Worst Case Scenario - Newton and Turner aren't compatible and end up clashing.  The offensive line can't make up for the loss of Norwell and the secondary fails us again. (around 8 wins).

Best Case: If the defense can replicate last years performance [Kam-Sherm were out most of the year anyway] and the offensive line does improve, Seattle could still slide into the 11-5 // 10-6 realm. Its going to come down the the defensive line and offensive line. Getting the same level of production from the d-line unit minus Sheldon and MB is going to be tough, but doable. The offensive line should get better with another year of continuity, and a new scheme. Plus, ya know Russell Wilson is still a top QB in the league. People must forget that when they have Seattle finishing 4-12 // 5-11. Seattle (as dysfunctional as they were) crushed the Wentz Eagles last year, and were 2-3 Blair Walshes away from being 11-5. 

Worst Case:  Russell Wilson injury. That would be a death sentence of the 2018-19 Seahawks. Outside of that, if the defense regresses even more, without the offense getting better, could mean disaster as well. Seattle is relying on a alot of young guys, and newcomers to pick up the slack on both sides of the ball. If these things dont work out well, 5-11 - 6-10 could be the result; especially if RW misses a few games. 

Best Case: Patrick Mahomes's talent shines in an offense crafted by Reid and loaded with a ridiculous amount of skill position talent, and the passing offense no longer suffers Smith's limitations. A purge of aging and declining talent on the defense leads to replacements and young depth stepping up, and combined with the return of Berry leading the secondary, makes the 2018 defense an asset as opposed to the 2017 defense that....had issues. The Chiefs win the division, but bow out at some point in the playoffs to just a more experienced post season QB (probably the Patriots, unfortunately, even in this best case scenario.)

Worst Case: Mahomes looks like the rookie he effectively is, and while he makes some exciting plays happen through scrambling and deep balls to Hill/Watkins, he also brings the struggles of a new starter combined with the mistakes of a gunslinger and we go from the best team in football at not committing turnovers to something very different. The defense responds poorly to the overhaul, either due to too many pieces changing (Peters, Parker, Johnson, and Hali all gone in one offseason), due to a sudden departure of veteran leadership, or just due to the failures of their replacements, and continues to be a detriment to the team. Could be as bad as 4th in the division pending what the other teams do, something like a low end top 10 pick.

The variance for us is a little high just because of the unknown quantity at QB. I imagine someone could argue we could turn out worse, just because if Mahomes busts Deshone Kizer style or something it'd be a catastrophe, but for me he showed enough against Denver to make me believe that won't happen. Maybe a Jake Locker or Blake Bortles style disappointment, but not a burn the whole team down and build from scratch kind of bust.

Archived