Make The Case For Why Your Team Will And Won’t Have A Sucessful 2018 Season? Best And Worst Case Scenario?

stl4life07

Eagles

Why they will succeed - They have a hungry Carson Wentz returning from what was an MVP season until he got hurt, along with an hall of fame Jason Peters who still moves freakishly for such a huge man. Peters rejoins the best and most athletic oline in the league. Mike Wallace will provide a little more consistent play than Torrey Smith did and Alshon will start the year with the chemistry he finally started to get the middle of last year and into the playoff run. Defense is about the same, Derek Barnett should take a leap and Michael Bennett should make the DL even better. Hicks coming back will be big and cornerback group should take a big step this year with Sidney Jones healthy. Overall we have a talented roster top to bottom, and we are getting three team captains back from injury to keep the team focused...Wentz and Peters are at the top with Malcolm Jenkins with who leads this team and they both will want to win one for themselves.

Why they won’t succeed - If Frank Reich and Defilippo were much more of why we outcoached teams last year than doug. If Wentz doesnt come back at the level he was or gets injured. I think Foles has the confidence now to lead the team, but he executes a great  system whereas Carson dominates a game and elevates the gameplan. Way more success with the guy who is just a stud and can get it done no matter what is thrown at him obviously. Without Carson we fade a little into the rest of the NFC elite rather than being the favorite and likely dont repeat.

Best case scenario - Carson is a go week 1 and erases all doubt with a big win vs the Falcons. And we pick up where we left off, with even more success with the pieces we are getting back or added. Eagles get homefield again without top competition in the division unlike the rest of the NFC contenders. And get back to the Super Bowl where they would be a favorite over any AFC at this point.

Worst case scenario - Wentz indeed rushed back and gets hurt. Demoralizes the team and we slump into a middling team who tried to rest on last years accomplishments. we fade below the other top teams and either sneak in or are overcome by say the Redskins, who are good enough to be in the middle of the back and be in a lot of games...but probably couldn't compete at 10+ wins. Feeds into the fluke narrative people want to call the team now and puts pressure on Carson who has injuries and not having his own Super Bowl hanging over him for the second year.

9 hours ago, stl4life07 said:
12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like you have a mighty high expectation of your team if you think the only reason you won't succeed is injuries and also worst case is you win your division even if its a crap division. 

I would assume Jared Goff would be a huge reason why you might not succeed. That he plays somewhere between 2016 and 2017 levels. Odds are he doesnt repeat his amazing 4:1 TD to INT ratio. Thats not to say i think the Rams won't be successful but everyone can come in and say injuries will be the worst case but unless you have someone that has a history of injuries and you didnt name names, then it seems like a very blanket statement. 

I agree that if Goff takes a step back and that will hurt the team. I don’t think it’s likely just because he adjusted quickly with new pieces and in a new system that now everything will slow down for him even more being in year 2 of the system and being familiar with all of his weapons and that includes Cooks whom he worked out with during the offseasons before Cooks even became a Ram. 

I only said injuries because I believe the Rams are head and shoulders above the teams in the NFCW that I can’t see them not winning the division unless injuries derail them. I’ll say the same thing about the Pats. Every other division in the NFL has strong competition where I can’t just say injuries. 

I think Goff's success is pretty tied to McVay. It's such a system they run there that Goff is pretty protected.
If McVay can't execute the same way with a year of tape on him (I think he's in the class of OC that it doesnt really matter all that much) it could be  problem and expose Goff more as he'd have to shoulder more of the load.

I think a fair "Why it won't work" is the additions on defense and hole in the middle of the D. If they all gel it's a reason why they will be one of the best teams, but takes time and isn't guaranteed. And that's without even noting the big personalities they each have.

I agree though that the west and the east have the weaker teams after the leader, there is potential there though for it not to be the case. Kyle Shanahan is probably 1a/1b with Sean Payton for best offensive minds in football and if Jimmy is the guy will make some noise (not be super bowl contenders like some people somehow think though). Russell Wilson will be annoying to deal with til he loses a step and Cards aren't a weak team..if one of those QBs clicks they will win games.

On paper though I think the rams have some of the least questions though. Besides like just checking what was real and what was fluke like any upstart team has to deal with in year 2

On 13/07/2018 at 5:10 AM, stl4life07 said:

@Yin-Yang @Heinz D. It’s not that I’m optimistic it’s that it’s expected. The Rams were an 11-5 team last year that got better in the offseason. Plus I know people are high on the Niners but they are still rebuilding and are at least another year away. The Seahawks aren’t the same and while I think the Cards will be better than most think, the oline isn’t good and I can see both Bradford and Rosen taking a beating each week. So the Rams are by far the best team in a division that we can say at least for this upcoming season is right behind the AFCE as the worst division in the NFL. That means the Pats and Rams have the easiest paths to win their respective divisions.

Man. Texans were a lot of peoples superbowl pick in 2013 and ended up with the 1 seed. Iirc after winning their first two games. 

To think any team apart from maybe the pats, is guaranteed to make the playoffs is in my opinion delusional. The nfl is too fluid. 

On 7/12/2018 at 11:10 PM, stl4life07 said:

@Yin-Yang @Heinz D. It’s not that I’m optimistic it’s that it’s expected. The Rams were an 11-5 team last year that got better in the offseason. Plus I know people are high on the Niners but they are still rebuilding and are at least another year away. The Seahawks aren’t the same and while I think the Cards will be better than most think, the oline isn’t good and I can see both Bradford and Rosen taking a beating each week. So the Rams are by far the best team in a division that we can say at least for this upcoming season is right behind the AFCE as the worst division in the NFL. That means the Pats and Rams have the easiest paths to win their respective divisions.

Almost everyone gets better on paper but that doesnt immediately translate into results. Yay you got Brandin Cooks but he has been traded twice now in like 2-3 years. We've all seen Suh/Talib has positive and negative locker room contributions. Some things have to take time to mesh and thats if they do at all. As bad as Seattle was last year they were still 2 game back from you and SF be a helluva lot better with at the very least, an above average starting QB. I dont think the Rams are this big slam dunk for greatness the way we see New England. I'd also say the Eagles have the easiest path. At least the NFC West has some QBs to compete with. Just sounds way too confident to say the worst case scenario is just injuries...and oh yea when we get hurt, we'll still win the division. So worst case scenario is still being better than like 25 other teams in the NFL

Laughing out loud at the idea that the worst case scenario the Rams is winning their division. I think they will be fine but you can't deny they have some dream team 2.0 potential with a possible worse locker room. Worst case scenario imo would be:

Rams stumble out of the gate because the offense isn't clicking. It turns out that the impact of Matt LeFleur on the gameplan was actually a lot bigger then previously assumed and McVay is struggling to adapt and evolve his scheme.

The offensive struggles cause tension to rise between the offense and defense, something that has happened before under Wade Phillips. Talking about the defense. It's damn scary on paper but the amount of things that could cause locker room strife is also pretty staggering. How will Suh deal with being second fiddle to Donald? Or Peters and Talib with the dline getting most credit?

Now throw in the LA nightlife and I'm left wondering what the over/under is for at least one ram getting involved into some deadly altercation.

@JaguarCrazy2832 @Kiltman @The Hitch I agree that Goff isnt a proven commodity but we saw him take that next step with the supporting cast around him and McVay calling the shots. Last time I checked nothing has changed. Like when McVay was the OC in Washington and we saw Cousins and that offense break out in 2015, nothing got worst in 2016 when everything stayed the same. I know some still questioning McVay, but his system has worked as OC in Washington and now HC in LA. I would venture to say I think the Rams offense can improve more once they get the TE's improved more. McVay drafted Everett for a reason. Everett showed some flashes last year but was still learning and developing. I look for him to take a step forward this upcoming season. Plus I still like Higbee in terms of his talent. So when we talk about Goff, while its not a lock for him to pick up where he left off last season, I dont see him regressing to look more like the 2016 version. Just like everyone, including myself, think Wentz isnt going to look back and continue to be great, I think Goff is going to continue to look really good.

I do get what everyone is saying. Outside of the freaking Pats, there isnt a lock for a team to win the division. I just feel strongly that this upcoming season the Rams are as close to a lock as any team not name the Pats to win the division. I look at it like this, if everything is equal, if the Rams cant win the NFCW, then who? Like Im not looking at this from a Rams perspective, but a football perspective. The Niners I truly feel are another year away. They have some nice pieces to build around but they arent a finished product. They also play in the brutal NFC. Like last year in the NFC was tough, but this year it will be even tougher. The Niners can legit win 7 games. Like I am not hitching my wagon to them winning 10 games and winning the NFCW or getting one of the two wild card spots. I do believe in Wilson. The problem with him is the defense got worst, the oline still is the same and they lost Graham who was at least a threat when on the field. Oh and as much as I like Penny, the sky isnt the limit until the Seahawks fix the oline. He will definitely improve the run game but he wont be as much of a game changer than he will be just productive. In other words he will but up solid numbers that wont necessarily change the outcomes of games for the Seahawks. Like Wilson got the Seahawks to what 9 wins last season. There isnt enough to believe he will lead them to more than that this year. As a matter of fact the Seahawks could regress in terms of the win total. Then the Cards, I do believe more are sleeping on. I think this team can win 9 games. I would say more but I dont trust the oline and the defense will feel the effects of the lost of Mathieu. Plus this isnt going to be the same Arians offense that we are accustomed too. Arians was a genius on offense in his own right and a team cant just lose someone like that and expect to pick up where they left off when DJ was healthy in 2016. 

What I am basically saying, is that the NFCW max I can say for the teams outside of LA, is 9 wins. I cant see the Rams, unless injuries hit them really hard, getting no less than 10 wins worst case scenario. Like I also know that many are skeptical about the signings of Suh, Peters, Talib, and Cooks. I have all the faith in the world in Phillips doing what he normally does and not letting anyone hurt his defense. Plus the team as a whole believe in McVay. If anyone still doubts that after last season, I cant help you. People said the same thing as how McVay can lead a team of players that he is closer to their age plus he never has been a head coach? Well he did one heck of a job. Some guys was just born to be leaders of men and McVay is exactly that. I dont think there will be any locker room issues. 

FWIW, I don’t even think the Pats are a playoff team in an imaginary worst case scenario. They’re probably as close as you can get to one, but not a lock. 

I could see a nightmare where Brady looks like 2015 Peyton, a handful of new guys don’t work out (Clayborn, Wynn, Brown, Rivers, McCourty, Michel, Matthews, Patterson, Rivers), Gronk goes down early, Edelman can’t return to form after his injury + suspension, the defense takes a step back without Patricia, etc. Or a combo of just a few of those things (the first being the worst, obviously). 

Dont expect those things to happen, but I can see it working out where some of those come true. 

EDIT: So my point is, to call any team a playoff lock is a little foolish IMO. The only way I see playoff kicks are if you put a disclaimer on overall health, then you can probably call a few teams locks (not even most of the NFC teams  considering how good the top end of the conference is).

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

FWIW, I don’t even think the Pats are a playoff team in an imaginary worst case scenario. They’re probably as close as you can get to one, but not a lock. 

I could see a nightmare where Brady looks like 2015 Peyton

Out of curiosity what from his SB game from 6 months ago would give you any indication he'd even in a worst case scenario look that bad? The ONLY thing that would prevent the NE Patriots from being a Lock to make the playoffs is a season ending injury to Brady.

"a handful of new guys don’t work out (Clayborn, Wynn, Brown, Rivers, McCourty, Michel, Matthews, Patterson, Rivers), Gronk goes down early, Edelman can’t return to form after his injury + suspension, the defense takes a step back without Patricia, etc. Or a combo of just a few of those things (the first being the worst, obviously). "

Even with all of this their AFCE Division as a whole, is that bad!

Best case: Brees finds the fountain of youth and gives the finger to Father Time. Our outstanding rookie class improves off their great seasons and we stay healthy. Super Bowl contenders

Worst case: Brees gets lost looking for the fountain of youth and Father Time goves him the finger. Sophomore slump and injuries everywhere. #1 pick contenders

2 hours ago, Breesus mode said:

Best case: Brees finds the fountain of youth and gives the finger to Father Time. Our outstanding rookie class improves off their great seasons and we stay healthy. Super Bowl contenders

Worst case: Brees gets lost looking for the fountain of youth and Father Time goves him the finger. Sophomore slump and injuries everywhere. #1 pick contenders

Things won’t get #1 pick contender worst case scenario. More so like the dreaded 7-9 as the Saints worst case scenario.

8 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Man, I have never seen a post critiquing the Rams by stl4life07 since I’ve been on here, lol.

You must never looked hard enough lol. Ive mentioned last year how McVay needs to stop having games or stretches in games where he abandons the run. I like his aggressiveness but you have to stick with the run especially if it’s working. I’ve talked about how bad Tree and Quinn was in the 3-4 scheme and that while I like the players and talent, they were in the wrong scheme to fully showcase what they can do and that was hurting the Rams in their abilities to stop the run consistently. Also even before last year I mentioned after that Miami game in 2016, I started to hate Fisher lol. Like I’m not saying the Rams don’t have issues, every team does but I don’t think the issues the Rams have will keep them from winning the division. Like last year the Rams issue before the season was youth, inexperienced head coach, new players and systems. Also a ton of question marks with the players that were already on the team. During the season the issue was run defense. None of that hindered the Rams from winning 11 games, winning the division, and making the playoffs. I get it’s a new year and the Rams lost key players at linebacker, and the Rams lost both the OC and QB coach and the Rams brought in some guys with strong personalities. I can respect that claim from others as possible issues that could effect the Rams chances of repeat success. The fact is, the Rams are in far better shape this year than last year where if I would’ve told you this time last year the Rams would win 11 games and take the NFCW most people would say I’m crazy at worst and at best say I’m just a homer. Btw before the season last year I did say the Rams would win 10 games after I saw how the offense looked in the preseason and definitely firing Fisher made my prediction easier instead of delusional. 

So again I’m not saying it’s a lock but I strongly feel great about the Rams winning the division unless injuries derail the Rams chances. Like if the other teams in the NFCW was stronger then I would feel not as confident as I do. Like last year I thought the Rams would finish 2nd behind the Seahawks and get a wild card spot at 10 wins. The Seahawks have fallen back, the Niners aren’t there yet for me to feel confident in them winning the division. The Cards are close to the team to take the division outside of the Rams but I don’t trust the oline and that’s key to me because I don’t think the Cards are good enough to overcome what looks to be a not so good oline. They will certainly be competitive just like every team in the NFCW but I don’t feel strongly about those teams winning the division. We shall see though.

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Out of curiosity what from his SB game from 6 months ago would give you any indication he'd even in a worst case scenario look that bad?

Sometimes it’s just random.  Manning started the 2014 season with a 68 CMP%, 109 QBR, and 34 TDs to 9 INTs. Who would have thought he would fall off a cliff so dramatically after that? 

It’s not likely Brady will look as bad as Manning looked, simply because Manning was always prone to turnovers, but it’s not implausible that he could suddenly start looking average. 

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Things won’t get #1 pick contender worst case scenario. More so like the dreaded 7-9 as the Saints worst case scenario.

Oh yes they will. Drew Bree's regressing neuters the offense, and our defense isn't enough to carry us.

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Out of curiosity what from his SB game from 6 months ago would give you any indication he'd even in a worst case scenario look that bad? The ONLY thing that would prevent the NE Patriots from being a Lock to make the playoffs is a season ending injury to Brady.

Specifically from the SB? Nothing really. 

But I’m open to the possibility that Tom hits the age wall at some point, whether that be a slow regression or an immediate one. 

Archived