Make The Case For Why Your Team Will And Won’t Have A Sucessful 2018 Season? Best And Worst Case Scenario?

stl4life07

11 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

Oh yes they will. Drew Bree's regressing neuters the offense, and our defense isn't enough to carry us.

I don’t think Brees will regress that bad and the only way the Saints be so bad that they start to be in the conversation for #1 pick is if Brees get hurt and misses a ton of games if not the entire season.

36 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Specifically from the SB? Nothing really. 

But I’m open to the possibility that Tom hits the age wall at some point, whether that be a slow regression or an immediate one. 

Even if that immediate regression occured he could still end up being the best QB in the division. That's the point. The AFCE is atrocious. It's why the other 3 teams are all in the top 5 for longest odds of winning the SB.

I'm not saying that day isn't coming at some point but I highly doubt it's the 2018 season.

27 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Even if that immediate regression occured he could still end up being the best QB in the division. That's the point. The AFCE is atrocious. It's why the other 3 teams are all in the top 5 for longest odds of winning the SB.

I'm not saying that day isn't coming at some point but I highly doubt it's the 2018 season.

I doubt it too. But it’s possible. It’s also possible the Pats team regresses along with Brady. The worst case scenario for NE isn’t a playoff run.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:46 AM, DutchFalcon said:

Laughing out loud at the idea that the worst case scenario the Rams is winning their division. I think they will be fine but you can't deny they have some dream team 2.0 potential with a possible worse locker room. Worst case scenario imo would be:

Rams stumble out of the gate because the offense isn't clicking. It turns out that the impact of Matt LeFleur on the gameplan was actually a lot bigger then previously assumed and McVay is struggling to adapt and evolve his scheme.

The offensive struggles cause tension to rise between the offense and defense, something that has happened before under Wade Phillips. Talking about the defense. It's damn scary on paper but the amount of things that could cause locker room strife is also pretty staggering. How will Suh deal with being second fiddle to Donald? Or Peters and Talib with the dline getting most credit?

Now throw in the LA nightlife and I'm left wondering what the over/under is for at least one ram getting involved into some deadly altercation.

Exactly.  This is a franchise that historically doesn't know how to win coupled by the fact that LA is not one of the better homefield avantages in the NFL.   It was their first playoff appearance since '04 and you bring in a plethora of big name guys (some who their previous teams were willing to part with because of team chemistry).  Peters (KC), Suh (MIA) and Cooks (Traded twice in past two years after being with Brees and Brady!)  Talib also never a saint himself but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's been in Phillips' system before.

On top of the acquisitions, they also lost a number of key pieces and in some ways leadership on defense in Alec Ogletree, Robert Quinn and Trumaine Johnson.  For a defense that held their own last year, it's kind of concerning that they let go of some solid foundational players and have severely weakened a LB corps that nobody is even talking about.  In a conference with some solid TE, this could be concerning in those key big games facing an Ertz, Jimmy Graham, Kyle Rudolph and even George Kittle if Week 17 decides the NFC West.  It's awesome that they have the most stout defensive line in awhile with Suh, Donald and Brockers but you're crazy if you're not concerned with the lack of continuity happening here.   People bring up the '11 Eagles but do you remember the '11 Jets with their great defense and how Plaxico Burress was that one final offensive addition to finally get them to the Super Bowl but they had so much turmoil in like the last month of the season.

As I said before, I'm very concerned about Goff after losing Olson (QBs have regressed after Olson left for other teams) and LaFleur.  I know McVay is an offensive genius but these two coaches had an impact, especially on Goff's game.  For a QB who doesn't make his own pre-snap reads, I don't know if he'll take a next step this year.  The rest of the NFL has had an offseason to watch tape on all the top teams from last year and believe me, the Rams are now the hunted.  The NFL is funny how after each season, all the teams that had their breakout years, have some sort of regression in certain ways.  

12 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I doubt it too. But it’s possible. It’s also possible the Pats team regresses along with Brady. The worst case scenario for NE isn’t a playoff run.

I was thinking about this yesterday with Brady's age and the loss of Solder to FA.  QBs fall off a cliff once they get to 40.  Can Brady be effective till 45?   Yeah I think it's possible with his workout regime and his strict routines.  Until the Pats prove everyone wrong, they're still the favorites.

While I give NE all the credit in the world, how many times have the other three teams in the AFC East have been close to elite since '01.  Besides the Jets having a dominant defense in the Rex Ryan era, the rest of the AFC East has done an extremely poor job building any type of contender, especially finding some sort of franchise QB which in the last 15 years Mark Sanchez and Tannehill are the only ones that come close to a somewhat successful franchise QB and that's not saying much.   

With that said, if the Pats struggle I can see a team like Miami being good enough to pull ahead of the Pats and win the East with all the changes they made this offseason.

Bengals:

Best Case Scenario: The moves we made in the offseason through addition (Cordy Glenn and Billy Price) and subtraction (Russell Bodine) on the offensive line along with sending Paul Alexander packing solidify arguably the NFLs worst offensive line last year, giving the offense a huge boost. On paper the Bengals boast some pretty potent talent and I believe now with a revamped offensive line, they will shine. The Steelers along with the also improved Browns and Ravens will return the AFC North to the top of the AFC and send 3 teams to the Playoffs. 

Best Case: 10-6 wild card spot

Worst Case Scenario: The offensive line is again garbage from the start and the team fails to make any changes till it’s too late (like last season). 

Worst Case: 4-12 Top 5 pick 

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Best case scenario: Champions

Worst case scenario: not champions 

That’s pretty much simple. I see your point though. I get the feeling most people think best case scenario is playoffs but worst case scenario is not making the playoffs. That’s not the case for every team. Some teams the best case scenario is Superbowl but worst case scenario is making the playoffs but not getting to the Superbowl or as you put it, not winning the championship. 

Cleveland Browns:

Best Case - Their young players take the next step and start to really produce. Taylor is a huge upgrade over Kizer, who was by far the worst QB in the league last season. We'll hopefully have Josh Gordon back for a whole season, and he's easily one of the most talented receivers in the game. We added one of the best possession receivers in the league in Jarvis Landry, and we drafted a talented receiver, albeit one with huge question marks in Antonio Calloway. David Njoku should continue to improve, as he showed flashes of being very talented last season as a rookie. Our defense should be improved with the acquisitions we made to the secondary, along with Peppers moving to his more natural position of SS. Garrett and Ogbah should form for a very good DE duo... there weren't many games last season where both of them played together, due to Garrett missing time at the start of the season and Ogbah missing the latter half of the season. They defense will also have more familiarity in Williams' scheme, and we'll have Haley calling plays on offense. One could argue that Cleveland - on paper at least - improved at nearly every position group this offseason except for LT with the loss of Thomas. Best case scenario is likely a 7-9 season.

Worst Case - Hugh Jackson is still the head coach, so that's a recipe for potential disaster. At least he's not calling plays anymore, though. The young guys don't step up as much as many of us hope and the inexperience of this team continues to show. The loss of Thomas could hurt the offensive line overall, although I'm not too worried about that. I'm sure one of Coleman, Corbett or whoever will be better than Drango was, who's more of a guard anyway. The rest of the offensive line should be fine besides that. We once again have a very tough schedule (toughest in the AFC North, I believe). Worst case scenario is we're the worst team in the league again, although I don't think that'll be the case.

Redskins

Why they'll succeed?

They were #1 in injuries last season . Still went 7-9.

Cousins is good for costing us about 3 games a year.

example: Did you see the eagles vs skins opener? Did you see last couple minutes?

Defense let us down in a few as well. Should have won the Saints game.

But I'm sure lots of teams can say this.

All in all. With the injuries

Skins STILL should have won 9 or 10 games. That's with the injuries.

But what if they stay healthy?

and add in Guice being a stud. Payne being a beast on the line.

Doctson stepping up

Crowder not having a bad year turning over the ball on ST returns.

Alex not giving games away, like Cousins.

etc. I could go on & on.

This team has the TALENT, to win 12+ games. I have no doubt about it.

And if they stay relatively healthy, I believe they can do just that.

Why they wont succeed?

Same ole Redskins. Finding ways to lose games, you shouldn't.

Primetime suckness

Big game let downs

tough division

early bye

and if course...injuries.

Best case scenario?

Redskins win 12 games

Win Division and draw a 1 or 2 seed bye

Alex Smith proves he's not JUST a game manager.

Guice proves he's not just one of the best backs in the NFL as a rookie, but a positive role model for the team & fans everywhere.

Redskins finally find continuity.

Worst case Scenario

Redskins go 4-12 and bottom feeders of the east.

Alex proves he needs loaded roster, to perform at high level.

Lots of changes for 2019, including coaching & staff & roster.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:27 PM, stl4life07 said:

I agree that if Goff takes a step back and that will hurt the team. I don’t think it’s likely just because he adjusted quickly with new pieces and in a new system that now everything will slow down for him even more being in year 2 of the system and being familiar with all of his weapons and that includes Cooks whom he worked out with during the offseasons before Cooks even became a Ram. 

I only said injuries because I believe the Rams are head and shoulders above the teams in the NFCW that I can’t see them not winning the division unless injuries derail them. I’ll say the same thing about the Pats. Every other division in the NFL has strong competition where I can’t just say injuries. 

You gotta chill with the Kool Aid, dude. Our depth is improved, but we still will struggle to survive injuries at certain positions. And if Goff gets injured, we're screwed. Our worst case scenario is well below the playoffs. We have to make sure we keep Goff healthy. If he stays healthy and upright, I expect we'll be okay. It seems like he's still being sold short.

Our locker room has been a cancer since SuperBowl 49. The Seahawks went from a team that had a huge chip on their shoulders to prove to everyone they were the real deal when no one even considered them, to a bunch of egotistical primadonnas. It was never the same again and the players lost faith in management and Carroll. Our offensive line has been the worst in the league for quite a while now. Sherman is gone, Chancellor is gone, Graham is gone, Thomas will probably be gone. That’s a lot of pieces to lose. We have no running game at all.  The team will go as far as Russell can carry them. 

Chicago Bears

Will -

- The coaching staff is built to support Trubisky, which has not been the case for a Bears QB... ever

- Unlike Cutler there is a set system to be groomed in. We have seen the amazing play not just from Rodgers but from the WRs knowing where to go when a play broke down. That only happens when a system is mastered.

- Talent has really been ramped up in the WR corps.

- Top 5 RB tandem to take the pressure off him

- Kyle Long finally has had surgery to repair some issues that have nagged him. Him at 80% is better than his back  ups at 100%. By a lot

- Top 10 defense to support the offense. Should not have to take a 3 and out off then back on the field like last year

- Fox gone, Frodo gone. Fangio stayed.

Will not -

- NFC North is arguably the best or near the best Division overall talent-wise.

- Nagy's system is a variant of Reid's, so it isn't going to be mastered easily

- STs are still a major question

- We are severely lacking at EDGE

- Long did just have surgery. Might not recover as well as hoped.

- Robinson is coming off an ACL, even if he wasn't a burner he might not be as effective if something is healing slow. Or could get re-injured so the Bears have no true #1 WR.

- Howard is a tank and one of the hardest runners in the NFL, without a question. His hands blow though, does he tip off the run/pass calls?

- If Tru goes down we have Chase Daniels as our #2 - he has started 2 games in 8 years and thrown 3 passes in the last 3 years. Bray has thrown 1 pass in his career. I mean, come on. I'd feel 100 times better with RG3, Matt Moore, etc. Hell give me Tebow as the number 2. At least with him we could have a decent option gimmick to take advantage of and enough big bodies and speed to have a 2 read offense like in FLA.

Archived