Potential Josh Gordon issue? *Will he report by Aug. 7th???*

buno67

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I’m seeing this idea on all social media that it’s a ploy to protect him from the cameras of HBO. Dude has missed enough football he doesn’t need to miss anymore. Specially to protected him from the cameras. It’s one of the most idiotic ideas out there. 

smh

I get your point 100% buno - and I cannot disagree with it either.

However, I do have first hand knowledge of what happens when someone takes total advantage of an opportunity for their own gain and tramples you in the process.

My daughter was in the class behind LBJ at St. V. She was in the band. At the start of Lebron's junior year, the Sports Illustrated "The Chosen One" came out and the hype machine was on. And it took off - BIG TIME. So many things that happened from that point on were counter to a normal high school experience for so many kids.

The hype machine was off and rolling out of control with the school administration not wanting to rein it in. The machine pile drove anyone it its way into submission. No wonder so many schools were pissed at St. V for many years.

So, I don't trust the national media to show any kind of decorum or professionalism. They are there for one reason and one reason only - to drive a story to jack up ratings. What may start as a little wound, they will keep picking at that scab until they get what they want and damn anyone who stands in their way.

1 minute ago, brooks1957 said:

So, I don't trust the national media to show any kind of decorum or professionalism. They are there for one reason and one reason only - to drive a story to jack up ratings. What may start as a little wound, they will keep picking at that scab until they get what they want and damn anyone who stands in their way.

Yep. There is a MASSIVE difference between dealing with beat reporters asking you questions and dealing with a drama crew that is literally trying to find any chink they can to drive a wedge into a situation and bust it open. 

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yep. There is a MASSIVE difference between dealing with beat reporters asking you questions and dealing with a drama crew that is literally trying to find any chink they can to drive a wedge into a situation and bust it open. 

When has hard knocks ever done that tho? I don’t remember in years past of them trying to create issues. Yeah it’s a reality series but its not like real world. If hardknocks was trying to cause issues the nfl wouldn’t allow it. Hell if a player wants to be quiet they have no issue with it like Harrison was with the bengals during their season. 

8 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I get your point 100% buno - and I cannot disagree with it either.

However, I do have first hand knowledge of what happens when someone takes total advantage of an opportunity for their own gain and tramples you in the process.

My daughter was in the class behind LBJ at St. V. She was in the band. At the start of Lebron's junior year, the Sports Illustrated "The Chosen One" came out and the hype machine was on. And it took off - BIG TIME. So many things that happened from that point on were counter to a normal high school experience for so many kids.

The hype machine was off and rolling out of control with the school administration not wanting to rein it in. The machine pile drove anyone it its way into submission. No wonder so many schools were pissed at St. V for many years.

Well that national media is fighting for viewers and getting people to tune. I don’t think with the HBO/established hard knock fans that they are fighting for viewers. It’s not like HBO is fighting with other networks who also have preseason content like they do. If they truly thought the browns wouldn’t be entertaining they  would never pick them. Also baker is the most entertaining type story for the browns anyways. 

If hardknocks was an ESPN thing, I might be concerned but it’s not. 

The way HBO runs their sports side of things, I trust them. 

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well that national media is fighting for viewers and getting people to tune. I don’t think with the HBO/established hard knock fans that they are fighting for viewers. It’s not like HBO is fighting with other networks who also have preseason content like they do. If they truly thought the browns wouldn’t be entertaining they  would never pick them. Also baker is the most entertaining type story for the browns anyways. 

If hardknocks was an ESPN thing, I might be concerned but it’s not. 

The way HBO runs their sports side of things, I trust them. 

You and I are not going to see eye to eye on this - and that's cool. We each can have our own opinion of the situation.

Both sides are guessing on this one. Given the past with Gordon, can’t rule anything out. 

With that said, If Gordon skipped town or failed a test, wouldn’t they just give up on him now? I don’t see any good in covering for him. Make it public and move on from him rather then drawing it on and creating a distraction. 

Ill take this news at face value for now.

2 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

You and I are not going to see eye to eye on this - and that's cool. We each can have our own opinion of the situation.

I agree with you to a point that the national media will ruin people and cause chaos. I’m just backing it up that HBO with their partnership with the NFL has never done that. That going back to all the past seasons I don’t remember them ever trying to make up a juicey story line like baiting a josh Gordon or something like that. I’m just giving hardknocks benefit of the doubt. I wouldn’t give that to NBC/FOX/ABC/ESPN tho. Also I wouldn’t see hardknocks crapping where they eat cause the NFL could take this show anywhere but I’m glad it’s on HBO because being the bleeping with be annoying, specially with Haley and Williams 

It very well maybe josh is just trying to make sure that he is on the right mindset to keep him on path during the rigorous schedule of he NFL season. Once you are an addict you’re always an addict, and a hectic stressful schedule intensifies that urge. I take it as josh is just trying to reboot for what’s to come

1 hour ago, Fatgerman said:

This is why I'd rather make the investment in OBJ. I'd hope any and every team would have serious reservation giving Josh a big contract, or at least big guaranteed money.

I think any contract Gordon signs will be heavily incentive laden with team options galore

23 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I agree with you to a point that the national media will ruin people and cause chaos. I’m just backing it up that HBO with their partnership with the NFL has never done that. That going back to all the past seasons I don’t remember them ever trying to make up a juicey story line like baiting a josh Gordon or something like that. I’m just giving hardknocks benefit of the doubt. I wouldn’t give that to NBC/FOX/ABC/ESPN tho. Also I wouldn’t see hardknocks crapping where they eat cause the NFL could take this show anywhere but I’m glad it’s on HBO because being the bleeping with be annoying, specially with Haley and Williams 

I can buy that, I guess. You seem to be a bit more "in the know" about the broadcast schematics. DP8017 really said what I meant to say.

6 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

It very well maybe josh is just trying to make sure that he is on the right mindset to keep him on path during the rigorous schedule of he NFL season. Once you are an addict you’re always an addict, and a hectic stressful schedule intensifies that urge. I take it as josh is just trying to reboot for what’s to come

Being a recovering alcoholic myself, I understand better than most about temptations. You are never "cured". You learn to manage the temptations. Since Josh is relatively new to sobriety, it is totally believable that he would seek shelter for a bit to reinforce the lessons he learned to keep him sober before dealing with additional stresses.

Admitting to being an alcoholic/addict is not a sign of weakness - it is a sign of strength. None of us are bulletproof, and asking for help when needed is part of the recovery process to learn how to stand on your own two feet again.

5 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

The real takeaway from this thread is that buno got worked by his friends.

Is it being worked tho? Week later he enters rehab? Maybe he knew something was coming down the pipe and is being proactive. Who knows. Just weird I hear these rumors and a week later we get this. I hope I was being worked tho. I want him on the field 

1 minute ago, brooks1957 said:

I can buy that, I guess. You seem to be a bit more "in the know" about the broadcast schematics. DP8017 really said what I meant to say.

Being a recovering alcoholic myself, I understand better than most about temptations. You are never "cured". You learn to manage the temptations. Since Josh is relatively new to sobriety, it is totally believable that he would seek shelter for a bit to reinforce the lessons he learned to keep him sober before dealing with additional stresses.

Admitting to being an alcoholic/addict is not a sign of weakness - it is a sign of strength. None of us are bulletproof, and asking for help when needed is part of the recovery process to learn how to stand on your own two feet again.

Not being in the know. HBO has something no other network has and that’s full access to an NFL team for an entire preseason. They don’t have to compete for  viewers because of that. You look at the major networks they are competing for our itch for a sitcoms or a news feed . It’s the same with the all or nothing. There is no competition for amazon, so it’s going to be success but they are prolly paying a lot for the rights to do something like that. 

Archived