DeMarco Murray announced his retirement

flyguy1609

13 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Come on, let's be real here. If the consensus doesn't think Gore will get in then why would Murray??? He is not a HOFer IMO. 

Yeah but Gore has way better argument for the HOF then Murray. Murray never looked closed to a HOF

23 minutes ago, Classic said:

Yeah but Gore has way better argument for the HOF then Murray. Murray never looked closed to a HOF

No he doesn't gore is an above average RB who has only gotten HOF talk because of his longevity. Murray won't even sniff the cowboys HOF let alone the NFL HOF. 

8 hours ago, OleXmad said:

No he doesn't gore is an above average RB who has only gotten HOF talk because of his longevity. Murray won't even sniff the cowboys HOF let alone the NFL HOF. 

Gore has a better argument based off of his numbers and his place in all time stats for RBs. I think that Gore might get in based off of his numbers but if you went by years he wasn't the best at his position. I love me some Gore, but after watching him his whole career he doesn't stand out as HOF to me and I love the guy. I think he was definitely top 10 at his position for most of his career though.

Murray was good too but he didn't last long, he's easily forgettable.

Shouldn't there be something said about longevity consider how short a running back's career is? I'm not sure why Gore is taken a notch for playing a long time when you need to play along time to realistically attain HOF numbers.

1 hour ago, Classic said:

Shouldn't there be something said about longevity consider how short a running back's career is? I'm not sure why Gore is taken a notch for playing a long time when you need to play along time to realistically attain HOF numbers.

Oh, there is, and thats one of the reasons I think Gore will eventually get in. We have seen that players can get in going the compiler route, but if you're going to get in that way, your numbers have to be way up there, and Gore's are .Top 7 all time YFS with a small chance to move into top 5 this year (the top 12 are all in the hall of fame, Larry Fitz will move into at least #13 this year and he's a lock as well), Top 5 all time rushing yards with a chance to move into top 4 this year (top 11 are all in the HOF outside of Gore, with Peterson at #12 and likely to be a lock for the hall as well). His 4.3 YPC isn't "great", but it's good, and certainly won't be a hindrance (it's the same YPC as Leveon, Faulk, better than Gurley - though I don't think that will last -, Thurman Thomas, Emmitt, etc). His Touchdowns aren't great, but again, don't know that they will hurt his enshrinement. He's probably not going to make it to 100, but he has the same number of touchdowns as Bettis (another well documented compiler who is in) in a very similar total number of games played, and quite frankly, Gore played for some horrendous teams for the majority of his career which can certainly impact those numbers. He's also generally considered to be one of the best pass blocking running backs of his generation of running backs, which also only helps his cause. I wouldn't necessarily agree with @OleXmadthat he was simply an "above average" running back - taking his all around game into account, and his prime with the 49ers, I do think he was largely a "good" running back, but you're talking descriptive semantics there, but I do agree that outside of one year, Gore was never "elite" or really even "great". 

Plus, and this can't be understated...I haven't seen anyone in the media ever say a bad word about Gore. Every time I've seen Gore brought up in the media, they largely seem to really like him or love him. This can't be overlooked - a player's relationship with the media can go a huge way in enshrinement. I don't think that there's any doubt that Bettis' personality and relationship with the media helped his case. 

But back to Murray - he had a nice little several year run, but that was pretty much it. No way he is close to the hall of fame when you have far superior running backs such as Edgerrin James, or Ricky Watters, or Fred Taylor who aren't in (and that list goes in). He really doesn't even stack up to that mid tier glut of guys who are currently on the outside looking in that you could make cases for. If you asked me Murray v Warrick Dunn career wise, I don't think it's much of a question that Dunn had the superior career, and nobody ever thinks of him as a hall of famer. 

Archived