I'm Having a Baby!! Advice?

On 2/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, theJ said:

Samsies (strangely enough, not until after we had one kid naturally).  

For #2, we explored in vitro, but quickly found out the cost was ridiculous and there were no guarantees of success.  If you have to retry, there's no recourse for the 30k you just shelled out, and you have to shell out another 30k.

We left the doctor's office after that consultation convinced it was a terrible option for us.  We agreed within 30 seconds of getting in the car we going the adoption route.  It's a very different experience than having a kid naturally, but in many ways exactly the same.

I won't try to convince you of either path, but if you're interested i can give you some more information.

Not entirely true, it's not nearly as expensive the 2nd time, as they usually don't have to do the whole egg retrieval again, unless you didn't have any embryos to freeze 1st time...

My wife and I did IVF and 1st time cost was $27K (meds, procedure, etc.). We just did our 2nd time and it was $7K this time. 

With that being said, it is super expensive either way you cut it...

My daughter just turned 18 months and our 2nd attempt attempt has 3 positive blood tests so far!

On 2/14/2019 at 11:50 AM, theJ said:

Samsies (strangely enough, not until after we had one kid naturally).  

For #2, we explored in vitro, but quickly found out the cost was ridiculous and there were no guarantees of success.  If you have to retry, there's no recourse for the 30k you just shelled out, and you have to shell out another 30k.

We left the doctor's office after that consultation convinced it was a terrible option for us.  We agreed within 30 seconds of getting in the car we going the adoption route.  It's a very different experience than having a kid naturally, but in many ways exactly the same.

I won't try to convince you of either path, but if you're interested i can give you some more information.

Haven't really talked about it since yet. She's never treated it as an option. I was willing to have 1 or 2. Would've also been ok with none. I'm afraid to ask what her final answer is in Regis Philbin's voice.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Haven't really talked about it since yet. She's never treated it as an option. I was willing to have 1 or 2. Would've also been ok with none. I'm afraid to ask what her final answer is in Regis Philbin's voice.

Either way you gotta talk about it man. I don't want to step into your business, but it's major life altering situation. 

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not entirely true, it's not nearly as expensive the 2nd time, as they usually don't have to do the whole egg retrieval again, unless you didn't have any embryos to freeze 1st time...

My wife and I did IVF and 1st time cost was $27K (meds, procedure, etc.). We just did our 2nd time and it was $7K this time. 

With that being said, it is super expensive either way you cut it...

My daughter just turned 18 months and our 2nd attempt attempt has 3 positive blood tests so far!

You obviously went through it, so I'll trust you. I'm just repeating what they said during our consultation. They did not offer any ways to reduce the cost on a retry for us. I specifically asked too, because the cost seemed outrageous. 

More than likely the doctor we saw just didn't understand the question or didn't want to share that particular detail for some reason. 

On 2/17/2019 at 8:31 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Seconded what @theJ said: you should ask. Maybe not right away, as it perhaps is a bit of a sore subject, but soonish.

Keep in mind, though, what they view as "deader than a door nail" isn't necessarily nonviable, just very long odds. If nothing else, maybe you need to convince the missus for more spins of the wheel? :D (reality check: don't do that, lest you enjoy pain)

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

To paraphrase the famous philosopher, your life is about to be "flipped turned upside down," @JaguarCrazy2832. Good luck, godspeed, and enjoy the ride. :D

And kiss the concept of sleep goodbye.

Thats what I've heard and given how for the last 2 years I've struggled mightily to get decent sleep so while I know I'm not ready, I also haven't had a good nights sleep in years so its an easier transition for me instead of my wife who has been sleeping great since she was born except for the last few months 

Everything else, I have no confidence in whatsoever lol

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832