I'm Having a Baby!! Advice?

So my wife and i just found out that she is pregnant with our 1st child! My wife is incredibly terrified despite the fact we were trying and since we are so early in the process she doesnt want to tell family yet but she really wants advice. Does anyone have some advice short of just being there for her? She is paralyzingly afraid of throwing up so the morning sickness has been brutal so far for her and she doesn't want to eat anything but crackers

• Like 9

Congratulations!!!

Just be honest with her, some women have hard pregnancies and some have easier ones. My wife has had 3 children, and only one was really rough. The thing I have noted is that the first trimester with the first kid has been the hardest (at least with my wife and her circle of friends). Her body is adapting, and it is rough. Just be attentive, and help when you can. My wife found that eating constantly through the day, never a real meal, allowed her to eat better and hold more food down. Try to note what smells bother her, or if most do, then note what doesn't. My wife enjoyed the smell of coffee during my 2nd baby, so I took a cheap bowl, vanilla candle, and put coffee beans in it. House always smelled good to her.

A lot of people say candied ginger doesn't help, IDK if it was placebo effect or not but my wife swore by it. Also, vitamin B6 is supposed to help. (usually pretty well dosed in the prenatal).  Make sure she is taking her prenatal unless the MD says otherwise (they can actually cause nausea too - I know it sucks).

There are a few things you guys might look into. Preggie pops and PregEase. My wife didn't use either, but I have heard good things.

Congrats to you and your wife. I'm an uncle and can tell you little kids are what life's all about. If I were you I'd tell her to talk to other women about their pregnancies and see what they've done. I wish you both nothing but the best. 

Congratulations buddy! It's a life changing event, that's for sure.

One thing I'll advise right now - don't skimp on the pre-natal vitamins. My wife got some over-the-counter ones for our first child, but went with Dr. perscribed ones for our 2nd - she said she could tell the difference with how her body responded to everything, so that's an absolute.

As far as your wifes' fear - I mean, each pregnancy is different. Some are the nausea/vomit inducing events you hear about, but some are just nothing more than cravings and nesting instincts kicking it. Can't really hope for either, but YOUR job is to be there to make her feel better through the whole process.

Good luck!

57 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh, and once she delivers buy her a beautiful outfit one size smaller than what she wore when she became pregnant and set an expectation.

;) 

Buy her new pots and pans too. Confidence in the kitchen is a must for any good cook. Also remember backhanded compliments like “This is almost as good as Mom makes it!” will help her become a perfectionist and keep her from becoming stagnant.

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

Buy her new pots and pans too. Confidence in the kitchen is a must for any good cook. Also remember backhanded compliments like “This is almost as good as Mom makes it!” will help her become a perfectionist and keep her from becoming stagnant.

Good suggestions all around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh, and once she delivers buy her a beautiful outfit one size smaller than what she wore when she became pregnant and set an expectation.

;) 

Buying her a gym membership also helps. It says everything, without saying a word.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

;) 

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Buying her a gym membership also helps. It says everything, without saying a word.

My wife isn’t pregnant but I did all this preemptively and now IM the jackass for prepping for the future. 

thanks guys. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

My wife isn’t pregnant but I did all this preemptively and now IM the jackass for prepping for the future. 

thanks guys. 

Just do your best to explain to her that women simply aren’t able to understand such concepts and that it’s best to leave it to the superior minds of men.

That should smooth things out.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just do your best to explain to her that women simply aren’t able to understand such concepts and that it’s best to leave it to the superior minds of men.

That should smooth things out.

This seems like bad advice. I’m just gonna double down on the “you might gain weight in the future” angle and drive that home. 

• Like 2