I'm Having a Baby!! Advice?

• 2 months later...

Is a diaper genie necessary? I feel like all we see is either emphatic YES or NO. Some say it doesnt work while others say it is the best thing ever

Also did you guys have the baby sleep in a crib/basinet in your room? We've had 1 Dr tell us doing that helps prevent SIDS but another one says there is no data to support that. 

We're 5 weeks away from her due date, she had her shower yesterday so we are buying everything we need. Only thing we dont have or haven't ordered is the diaper genie and a basinet.

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is a diaper genie necessary? I feel like all we see is either emphatic YES or NO. Some say it doesnt work while others say it is the best thing ever

Emphatic yes, checking in. It served us very well for both of our kids.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Also did you guys have the baby sleep in a crib/basinet in your room? We've had 1 Dr tell us doing that helps prevent SIDS but another one says there is no data to support that. 

We're 5 weeks away from her due date, she had her shower yesterday so we are buying everything we need. Only thing we dont have or haven't ordered is the diaper genie and a basinet.

We used the diaper genie with our first two children and thought it was great.

With our third we realized that using the normal bin was just easier. Cheaper too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Genie is for disposing the throwaway diapers and supposedly masking the smell

isn't that what the outdoor garbage can is for? why would you keep dirty disposable diapers in the house?

i mean, why not... dispose... of them?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Was the smell much worse? I know the bags get to be expensive for the diaper genie

Honestly it really wasn't. Their diapers don't smell very much when they're only having milk anyway.

When they are little you'll be changing diapers everywhere. You'll find that you're not near the genie.

Edited by Mega Ron

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

isn't that what the outdoor garbage can is for? why would you keep dirty disposable diapers in the house?

It's a garbage bin for diapers, in essence - doesn't comingle the diaper trash with your other trash, so it's an extra bin to clear, but helpful in that it's slim and can be kept right next to the changing table. Ours had a little Arm & Hammer compartment so we could help keep the smell managed in the room.

Here's our model:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Playtex-Diaper-Genie-Expressions-Customizable-Diaper-Pail-with-Starter-Refill/54151857?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2993&adid=22222222228056399904&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=159603648706&wl4=aud-481962823846:pla-267942656531&wl5=9027793&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=54151857&wl13=2993&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9aNLM_4NRCM0kJg5zVyfqAzMlD2bYgn822aXDAkIB-dytrD4PMCnfcaAkyLEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's a garbage bin for diapers, in essence - doesn't comingle the diaper trash with your other trash, so it's an extra bin to clear, but helpful in that it's slim and can be kept right next to the changing table. Ours had a little Arm & Hammer compartment so we could help keep the smell managed in the room.

Here's our model:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Playtex-Diaper-Genie-Expressions-Customizable-Diaper-Pail-with-Starter-Refill/54151857?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2993&adid=22222222228056399904&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=159603648706&wl4=aud-481962823846:pla-267942656531&wl5=9027793&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=54151857&wl13=2993&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9aNLM_4NRCM0kJg5zVyfqAzMlD2bYgn822aXDAkIB-dytrD4PMCnfcaAkyLEALw_wcB

Thanks, I take it the bags in the long-run cost way more than the genie? 

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Honestly that's why I'm asking lol. The rub with that is going outside every time there is a poopy diaper, but if it doesnt mask the smell that much plus the cost of the bags that are required for the specific model, I'm not sure if its worth getting. 

12 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thanks, I take it the bags in the long-run cost way more than the genie? 

The bags are the primary expense, yeah. 

9 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Honestly that's why I'm asking lol. The rub with that is going outside every time there is a poopy diaper, but if it doesnt mask the smell that much plus the cost of the bags that are required for the specific model, I'm not sure if its worth getting. 

The benefit to me is that you don't have to take your baby to the garbage outside, or leave your baby to go to the trash - you finish up the change, dump the diaper in the genie and move on. On trash day, you take the bag in the genie and dump it.