I'm Having a Baby!! Advice?

31 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Honestly that's why I'm asking lol. The rub with that is going outside every time there is a poopy diaper, but if it doesnt mask the smell that much plus the cost of the bags that are required for the specific model, I'm not sure if its worth getting. 

For our first we had a diaper genie and thought it was great.  Sort of.  Or maybe it's more accurate to say we thought we should think it was great.  Because everyone told us it was great.  And it did mask the smell, even as we went from breast milk to real food (big change in the stink-o-meter).  The problem i always had with it, but never really acknowledged, was that cleaning it out was a chore.  The bags seems to fill up in no time (matter of days), and it takes 5-10 minutes to change it out.  Doesn't like a lot, but consider how long it takes you change the bag on a normal trash can.  There's all sorts of tying and pulling and stretching and button pushing.  It's annoying.  My wife and i always competed to try and squeeze one more diaper in to make the other person clean it out.

Then, one summer, a few flies got in the house and one got in the genie and decided that was a nice breeding ground.  That was not great.  And that was end of our diaper genie in our minds.  Yeah, we cleaned it and maybe used it a little more, but we were done with it.

For our second kid, we developed a new system.  Trash can inside for wet diapers (no smell).  Trash can in the garage right outside the kitchen door for the solids.  Walking the extra 15 steps to the garage to toss the diaper is much easier than dealing with that damn diaper genie.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2019 at 9:23 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is a diaper genie necessary? I feel like all we see is either emphatic YES or NO. Some say it doesnt work while others say it is the best thing ever

Eh, it was relatively convenient. You just shoved the diaper into the pail, and when it was time to empty it, you just twisted the bag and off you went.

Necessary? No. There's also a part of me that hated it from the extra waste and cost (the refills aren't cheap), but it was handy.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 9:23 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Also did you guys have the baby sleep in a crib/basinet in your room? We've had 1 Dr tell us doing that helps prevent SIDS but another one says there is no data to support that. 

No, both kids were in a different room from the jump. Obviously, that meant investing in good monitors, but we liked having "our" space and making a clear separation therein (the kids, now that they are older, know it's mom & dad's room, for the most part).

On 2/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is a diaper genie necessary? I feel like all we see is either emphatic YES or NO. Some say it doesnt work while others say it is the best thing ever

Also did you guys have the baby sleep in a crib/basinet in your room? We've had 1 Dr tell us doing that helps prevent SIDS but another one says there is no data to support that.

Casual Yes for the genie. It's very useful and simple to use. But probably could go either way with it. Definitely other options as well out there. Just a basic trash pail could work, but the genie does a solid job of cutting down on odor.

Almost three months and we're just moving baby over to crib in nursery. Makes it much easier for wife when breast feeding during night to just to be able to reach over and grab baby. Now that baby is sleeping through the night, could probably go either way just fine, and will make it a bit nicer for us with baby out of room, just returning room to normal will be nice.

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

does today's present parenting generation even consider cloth diapers?

We did. We actually looked into some options for it, but depending on the daycare, they might not want to deal with cloth diapers. I believe that was the case with ours. We decided to go with disposable just for time convenience since both of us are working. We did consider also using a subscription service that drops off clean ones once a week and picks up dirty ones, but that was too expensive in the end.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I did it for a few months with my firstborn, but unfortunately the cloth diapers had a major drawback (aside from laundry constantly) in that my baby got a rash and the cloth literally couldn't get rid of the particular strain of rash that she had, so we had to switch to disposable.

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Yes, mostly from the environment-friendly angle. The main counterpoint to it (from the environmental friendly angle) is the cleaning services are not-so-environmentally-friendly (because no one wants to wash that crap themselves ... literally and figuratively). Also, as @The Gnat pointed out, they're expensive (since they're cleaning your crap, literally).

On 2/10/2019 at 6:23 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not sure about the SIDS part
But sleeping in the bassinet early on its a winner - both from the bonding POV and because its easier to roll over and feed the baby than to get up and go into the other room every couple of hours. Its lasts a couple of months and then they move into the crib. We did it purely out of personal preference and convenience

Not sure if this one has been covered but a lot of babies like to sleep on their backs - and early on while the cranium is still soft there's a tendency to get a flat head. Purely cosmetic. Happened with us for one of our kids and we ended up using the helmet for a couple of months. Worked like a charm and she didn't mind it one bit. The only tough part about it was all the dumbass comments from strangers who didn't know what it was for.

baby-flat-head.jpg

20 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Not sure about the SIDS part
But sleeping in the bassinet early on its a winner - both from the bonding POV and because its easier to roll over and feed the baby than to get up and go into the other room every couple of hours. Its lasts a couple of months and then they move into the crib. We did it purely out of personal preference and convenience

Not sure if this one has been covered but a lot of babies like to sleep on their backs - and early on while the cranium is still soft there's a tendency to get a flat head. Purely cosmetic. Happened with us for one of our kids and we ended up using the helmet for a couple of months. Worked like a charm and she didn't mind it one bit. The only tough part about it was all the dumbass comments from strangers who didn't know what it was for.

baby-flat-head.jpg

Other people suck.

Little ones look cute as withe those on.