I'm Having a Baby!! Advice?

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Congratulations!!!

Just be honest with her, some women have hard pregnancies and some have easier ones. My wife has had 3 children, and only one was really rough. The thing I have noted is that the first trimester with the first kid has been the hardest (at least with my wife and her circle of friends). Her body is adapting, and it is rough. Just be attentive, and help when you can. My wife found that eating constantly through the day, never a real meal, allowed her to eat better and hold more food down. Try to note what smells bother her, or if most do, then note what doesn't. My wife enjoyed the smell of coffee during my 2nd baby, so I took a cheap bowl, vanilla candle, and put coffee beans in it. House always smelled good to her.

A lot of people say candied ginger doesn't help, IDK if it was placebo effect or not but my wife swore by it. Also, vitamin B6 is supposed to help. (usually pretty well dosed in the prenatal).  Make sure she is taking her prenatal unless the MD says otherwise (they can actually cause nausea too - I know it sucks).

There are a few things you guys might look into. Preggie pops and PregEase. My wife didn't use either, but I have heard good things.

We bought some the afternoon we found out and then she started feeling sick. She absolutely hates it but she knows she has to take them. She is sensitive to smells already so i have to be aware of that. Making a note would help. She just feels nauseous and isn't throwing up yet but she never wants to eat anything. Today she probably has eaten like 300 calories and thats it. Ginger ale has helped and heard good things about B6 and ginger before. Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Congratulations buddy! It's a life changing event, that's for sure.

One thing I'll advise right now - don't skimp on the pre-natal vitamins. My wife got some over-the-counter ones for our first child, but went with Dr. perscribed ones for our 2nd - she said she could tell the difference with how her body responded to everything, so that's an absolute.

As far as your wifes' fear - I mean, each pregnancy is different. Some are the nausea/vomit inducing events you hear about, but some are just nothing more than cravings and nesting instincts kicking it. Can't really hope for either, but YOUR job is to be there to make her feel better through the whole process.

Good luck!

I feel like an idiot for this but i didnt realize there were prescriptions for those. Just assumed everything in the store was sufficient. Whichever we bought had the amount of folic acid(I think thats the right thing) since we vitamin she was taking before hand didnt have enough. Unfortunately they dont make an appointment for a little bit so what we have now is it but you mean her body responded positively to the prescribed vitamins? Like she didnt feel as sick afterwards?

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We bought some the afternoon we found out and then she started feeling sick. She absolutely hates it but she knows she has to take them. She is sensitive to smells already so i have to be aware of that. Making a note would help. She just feels nauseous and isn't throwing up yet but she never wants to eat anything. Today she probably has eaten like 300 calories and thats it. Ginger ale has helped and heard good things about B6 and ginger before. Thanks!

No problem. One more thing with the ginger, the bigger and older the ginger the more fibrous and hotter it will be. So if her senses are going haywire you might want to by the smaller ones (though the bigger ones are better for ginger dressings and marinades IMO). To see if it is fresh, try to break a piece off. If it snaps it is good to go, if it just bends quite a bit before breaking it is older and likely been sitting for a while.

The recipe is easy as it gets, I have used this recipe, but I do add just a pinch of salt while it is crystallizing. Also, don't use a peeler to peel the ginger, use a spoon. WAAAAY faster for me.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/candied-ginger-recipe-1944906

19 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like an idiot for this but i didnt realize there were prescriptions for those. Just assumed everything in the store was sufficient. Whichever we bought had the amount of folic acid(I think thats the right thing) since we vitamin she was taking before hand didnt have enough. Unfortunately they dont make an appointment for a little bit so what we have now is it but you mean her body responded positively to the prescribed vitamins? Like she didnt feel as sick afterwards?

Don't feel bad at all - it's exactly what we did for my son as well. My daughter got the good stuff. 

I think you can use the OTC ones, but do ask the doctor for a perscription. It helped my wife with some of the morning sickness, but it also helps with energy levels - my wife didn't feel as lethargic at times. 

The nausea is going to come, from what I've seen. My wife went with a ton of ginger - raw ginger, ginger ale, etc - and while she had sickness, it was much milder the 2nd time around.

For a lot of women the first 12 weeks are the worst for nausea. Morning sickness can happen at any point of the day. Some women have crap pregnancy’s. 

Boobs get bigger. Hers not yours. Sex changes during pregnancy as well....

At the early stages you want your wife to take folate 0.8 mg per day to prevent neural tube defects. Also some other vitamins. 

Stop vit A if she is taking it. That can cause eye issues. But really speak with your dr or mod wife for the best info. 

In nz they say do t eat salads prepped by others or soft cheeses. 

During labor you are kind of like a groomsmen. Stand round and don’t do much that is useful, obligated to be there. Labor can be over fast 2-4 hours , or it can take days. There are benefits and risks for c-sections. Some people recommend taking a vaginal swab and putting it in the mouth of the new born baby if it comes by c section, this maybe shown to prevent diseases in the future like type 1 diabetes. 

During labor you will be your wife’s advocate. During labor a chemical is released that is similar to heron ina women’s brain, a low dose of course. She won’t have her usual capability’s. So learn what she wants during labor. Pain relief or no pain relief. C-section vs natural. Who does she want to know when she is labor? What music does she want? 

Also a tens (so) machine is an awesome form of pain relief, it provides small amounts of pain relief by giving eletric shocks. This will help to avoid using drugs as pain relief during labor, which can be better for the baby. 

My 2 cents. We had an emergency c section after 30 hours of labor. Took it right out of me.

• Like 2

Congrats! My daughter (first and probably only kid) just hit 3 months on Saturday, so I just lived it.

Be invested. Go to appointments. Do things (like buying furniture and setting up shower registries, etc.) a little at a time and start early. Decide if you want to find out gender and if you are going to tell people before you get there. Check out your employment’s leave policies. If you qualify, decide how you want to use your FMLA leave; you get 12 weeks to use within the first 12 months - you do not have to use it all at once and I’d suggest for fathers that you don’t. My job let me substitute sick and vacation time, so all mine will be paid. I took a month off when the monster arrived, and I’m in the middle of a three week stretch where my wife is at grad class all day M-F. And I still have 5 more weeks to use whenever I want. But I definitely suggest taking time off when the child arrives if you can swing it. Having an extra person around in the early weeks is super helpful when everybody is delirious from lack of sleep (don’t let anyone tell you otherwise than that the first month or so kind of sucks - babies eat, sleep, poop, and cry. They don’t have a personality yet so it’s not particularly fun at the outset).

I just asked my wife what I did that she found helpful and her immediate response was “You brought me food and gave me back rubs”. Caveat, it was food that I knew she liked and could still eat despite the nausea. Some women get crushed by the nausea, some don’t. It also crops up at weird times and with weird foods so don’t get flustered if you bring something home that she liked yesterday but can’t stomach today; it ain’t personal, it’s just the way these things work. Most of the weight gain occurs in the second trimester, so if she has trouble keeping food down or eating a lot it should be alright. But keep your medical care provider informed. And, like I said, try to attend appointments whenever you can.

One final note: breastfeeding is great and there are loads of benefits, but it can sometimes feel like a bit of a cult. There’s a lot of pressure on women in particular to do things “the right way”. Let her know you support whatever she decides to do, run interference for d-bags, and remind her (and yourself) that feeding the child is priority #1 by far, in whatever form of nurishment the child will take. Breastfeeding doesn’t click for everybody. Besides, feeding your kid whether formula or pumped milk can be nice binding time.

So ultimately, pay attention and be involved. The human race has gotten along ok so far. So when you hit those panic moments (of which there’ll be many), rememeber that you can’t do much to really screw it up too badly. We’ve survived this long, if I can stumble my way through this, you can figure it out. Good luck!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This could be helpful.

FTSQLPOI7D685GN.MEDIUM.jpg

The fact he’s drinking E&J makes it sooooo much better. So awful...

I didn’t realize anyone within 40 years of his age drank that stuff, figured it was exclusively for grandparents that were ready to die and needed a cheap exit.