I'm Having a Baby!! Advice?

21 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

To clarify the groomsmen statement, the people running the show are the doc's and midwives.

True, but you do not (and I would argue should not) be hiding in a corner. If you are going to be an advocate for your wife, you need to be involved. Even if that means she crushes your hand (stereotypical Hollywood thing) or latches onto your shoulder with a vice like bite that a great white shark would be impressed with. No personal experience there or anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woz said:

True, but you do not (and I would argue should not) be hiding in a corner. If you are going to be an advocate for your wife, you need to be involved. Even if that means she crushes your hand (stereotypical Hollywood thing) or latches onto your shoulder with a vice like bite that a great white shark would be impressed with. No personal experience there or anything.

Just stay at the head of the bed.

IMO dudes from previous generations had it figured out.  Cigars, flasks of booze, etc.  

Celebrate your achievement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woz said:

Im just saying you are the east important person in the room by a long shot. 

baby
wife
med staff

you

the only person that doesn't have to be there is the husband/partner.  everyone else is essential. I agree about being the wifes advocate. I was and it is important. But you sure as heck have a really good shot of getting your mrs and the baby healthy and alive without the the husband there. 
In most cutures child birth happens without the husband being there. It is a western thing. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 4:15 PM, Kiwibrown said:

My mate said it is like seeing your favorite restaurant burn down.  

Don't look over the curtain. Whatever you do, do not look over the curtain. Fight all instincts that say "hey, I wonder what's on the other side of the curtain". 

I did not take my own advice. I cannot unsee what I saw. No matter how hard I try, I cannot unsee what I saw.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Don't look over the curtain. Whatever you do, do not look over the curtain. Fight all instincts that say "hey, I wonder what's on the other side of the curtain". 

I did not take my own advice. I cannot unsee what I saw. No matter how hard I try, I cannot unsee what I saw.

You won't be able to unsee this either

Image result for Can't unsee that

Image result for Can't unsee that KFC

tryn to help a brother out here. 

55 minutes ago, ET80 said:

i saw the baby come out and it was the most beautiful experience of my life.

i shed an involuntary tear, no lie. and then i cut the cord like a boss

6 hours ago, Malfatron said:

i saw the baby come out and it was the most beautiful experience of my life.

i shed an involuntary tear, no lie. and then i cut the cord like a boss

I did too, I got lucky my daughter was surprisingly not slimy, then the after stuff...and that's all I can remember when I came to. 

On 7/24/2018 at 12:33 AM, Kiwibrown said:

Im just saying you are the east important person in the room by a long shot. 

baby
wife
med staff

you

the only person that doesn't have to be there is the husband/partner.  everyone else is essential. I agree about being the wifes advocate. I was and it is important. But you sure as heck have a really good shot of getting your mrs and the baby healthy and alive without the the husband there. 
In most cutures child birth happens without the husband being there. It is a western thing. 

Gonna have to disagree with this one for both my children's births.

First one (hospital birth), the staff was pestering my wife about how she learns best while in significant amounts of pain. At one point, I got her to look at me. I realized while she was looking at me, she didn't see me because of the pain. They finally stopped asking and got her on pitocin after getting them to shut the hell up. They then left the room and my wife was finally able to get on top of contractions. Of course, they didn't bother checking back so I ended up being the only one there where my son crowned (scrambling by the team happened quickly after my shout of "hey where they hell are you guys?! the baby's coming right now!"). If you are going to be your wife's advocate, you need to be in a position to evaluate what's going on and if you need to intervene on your wife's behalf. You should be deferential to the medical staff because they've done this infinite times more than you, but they're not infalliable.

Second one (home birth, due to the shiznit that went down with #1), I was holding my wife and breathing/moaning with her. She had asked for a quiet/low light birth (which the midwife and doula abided by). So did I ... even when she latched onto my shoulder with a bite a great white shark would have been proud of for 10 seconds. I screamed silently looking at the midwife and doula who were chuckling (quietly) in sympathy.

If you want to be completely removed, you can be. But to say that the husband is unimportant is at best misleading and at worst a trope/stereotype.

• Like 1