Didn't you think Mike Matheny was a good Cardinals manager?

Championshiporbust

I think Mike Matheny was a decent manager, not the best. He was hired in November 2011, after the legendary Cardinals manager Tony La Russa retired from managing baseball on Oct. 31, 2011 days after winning the 2011 World Series, the Cardinals' 11th World Series championship.

He guided the 88-74 NL wild card defending World Series champions Cardinals to the 2012 NL Championship series, but he was outcoached by Giants manager Bruce Bochy, wasn't he? 

Don't you think Matheny was a good manager? 

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/jordan-hicks-falters-cardinals-fall-to-reds/c-285862902

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/cardinals-dismiss-manager-mike-matheny/c-285883856

At times, maybe.

I think the players on the team were performing at such heights, his managerial moves didn't really impact them. Their pitching staff was amazing. Injuries and age really caught up to the team quickly. Not much they could do about it. But, I think Cardinals' fans have been unimpressed with Matheny for a while.

9 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Don't you think Matheny was a good manager? 

No. He was utterly incompetent, not just as a baseball manager, but a manager of people in general. To not be on speaking terms with one of your players is fireable on its own. To delegate the day to day management of your bullpen instead of having that go through yourself or your bullpen coach, then ostracize your prized 105 mph relief pitching prospect is fireable on its own. 

He belongs in Horrible Bosses 3 before he belongs in an MLB locker room.

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No. He was utterly incompetent, not just as a baseball manager, but a manager of people in general. To not be on speaking terms with one of your players is fireable on its own. To delegate the day to day management of your bullpen instead of having that go through yourself or your bullpen coach, then ostracize your prized 105 mph relief pitching prospect is fireable on its own. 

He belongs in Horrible Bosses 3 before he belongs in an MLB locker room.

Pretty much.  I honestly don't think there's much that I think he brought to the table.  He inherited a talented team, managed to destroy the locker room and continue to make awful decision making.  They won't say it, but I think about 95% of the players in the locker room are stoked he's gone.  I wish I wasn't joking about that either.

Archived