Managers who will never manage another MLB team again

Championshiporbust

All of the above. The old school types are dead in the water.

The manager role is completely different than it was 10 years ago. It's now about how well you translate and disseminate the information from the front office to the player. You don't have to argue balls and strikes anymore, you don't have to think about who's batting where on a particular day as much, or making a bullpen change. That's part of the job (except the balls and strikes really), but the roster management piece is all collaborative with the front office and as a manager you're implementing their overall vision, then getting players to buy in.

To that end, the ideal manager candidates are working in front offices (see Gabe Kapler, Craig Counsell, Dave Roberts, etc. etc.) and are being groomed for the job a few years in advance. Anyone thinking a front office is going to bring in Dusty Baker any time soon?

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

All of the above. The old school types are dead in the water.

The manager role is completely different than it was 10 years ago. It's now about how well you translate and disseminate the information from the front office to the player. You don't have to argue balls and strikes anymore, you don't have to think about who's batting where on a particular day as much, or making a bullpen change. That's part of the job (except the balls and strikes really), but the roster management piece is all collaborative with the front office and as a manager you're implementing their overall vision, then getting players to buy in.

To that end, the ideal manager candidates are working in front offices (see Gabe Kapler, Craig Counsell, Dave Roberts, etc. etc.) and are being groomed for the job a few years in advance. Anyone thinking a front office is going to bring in Dusty Baker any time soon?

Girardi falls into the old school category, but he'll definitely get at least one more shot (and probably with the Cardinals lol). But yeah, not many of those guys are going to be around much longer.

8 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Girardi falls into the old school category, but he'll definitely get at least one more shot (and probably with the Cardinals lol). But yeah, not many of those guys are going to be around much longer.

He was a relatively new school guy 10 years ago. And I don't necessarily buy the Girardi to the Cardinals rumors. They're so analytically driven it seems odd to bring in a guy who may not shift as much as you want, use your bullpen efficiently, etc. 

20 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Dusty Baker definitely. He's 69 and seemed to have lost his touch during his last few yrs. he was managing in the MLB. 

Well, I mean, he did win 95 and 97 games his last two years managing the Nationals. I don't think he lost anything whatsoever, but he just is what he is, and what he is is being put to death by the analytical MLB. Dusty was great with players but terrible with anything in game. I don't think that changed over the course of his career from the Giants to the Nats. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, I mean, he did win 95 and 97 games his last two years managing the Nationals. I don't think he lost anything whatsoever, but he just is what he is, and what he is is being put to death by the analytical MLB. Dusty was great with players but terrible with anything in game. I don't think that changed over the course of his career from the Giants to the Nats. 

He was given a sports car of a team. 2015 was an aboration for the Nationals. A season plagued by injuries and then Papelbon.

He was every bit the poor manager in the playoffs. 2016 he gets a pass because of how poorly the team performed over all and the bullpen issues, but 2017 he was given a fantastic back of the pen and simply mismanaged the entire series. Werth never should have been given playing time, he never should have let Gio go back out, and he never should have let Max pitch on 1 day rest.

14 minutes ago, Slateman said:

He was given a sports car of a team. 2015 was an aboration for the Nationals. A season plagued by injuries and then Papelbon.

He was every bit the poor manager in the playoffs. 2016 he gets a pass because of how poorly the team performed over all and the bullpen issues, but 2017 he was given a fantastic back of the pen and simply mismanaged the entire series. Werth never should have been given playing time, he never should have let Gio go back out, and he never should have let Max pitch on 1 day rest.

Don't disagree, but all I'm saying is that is pretty much what he has been his entire career. He's always been awful when it came to any decisions regarding an actual baseball game. I don't think he "lost anything". He just was what he always was. 

On 7/16/2018 at 8:12 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He was a relatively new school guy 10 years ago. And I don't necessarily buy the Girardi to the Cardinals rumors. They're so analytically driven it seems odd to bring in a guy who may not shift as much as you want, use your bullpen efficiently, etc. 

They also have an incredibly conservative culture and had a preacher as their manager the last 7 years.

Girardi deserves a shot anyway. It's not like he's a dinosaur. He probably got worn down from the Yanks the last few years because he was very player-oriented his first few years with us. Also commands much more respect than Matheny.

The best thing about Joe? He doesn't tolerate BS hazing and traditionalist soap boxing.

Edited by redsoxsuck05