Training Camp 2018

Superman(DH23)

White caught a couple bombs and had a wide open drop.  

Gentry had a nice catch.  

Robinson looks healthy.  

Cohen looks like a prime target.

Most of practice clips look like guys are playing about 3/4 speed so no judgements really to be made on anything despite oos and ahhs.   Looks like just learning plays and scheme.  

Wow.  Bears are running every formation and multiple plays from each formation.  How novel.   Who knows how well they will do, but DC’s are actually going to have to prepare for this team.  

Prep film sessions last couple of years had to have been short.  

Sounds like

-White has looked much better than previous years.

- Tolliver has made impact plays

- Speed is night and day from last year, both on routes and after the catch.

Of course you don't bank on anything this early, but nice not to have "the sky is falling" type news already.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Sounds like

-White has looked much better than previous years.

- Tolliver has made impact plays

- Speed is night and day from last year, both on routes and after the catch.

Of course you don't bank on anything this early, but nice not to have "the sky is falling" type news already.

Biggest plus for me with this is that most of the reports have had him showing a burst again where last year he was reportedly operating at the speed of a TE. Health is going to be a concern but if he can give anything, even in a limited role... 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Biggest plus for me with this is that most of the reports have had him showing a burst again where last year he was reportedly operating at the speed of a TE. Health is going to be a concern but if he can give anything, even in a limited role... 

Exactly. Being a one trick pony would be a massive upgrade for him. Plus if he can run deep effectively that allows Gabriel and Cohen to run more short/intermediate routes. They're two guys that are hellish for defenses AFTER the catch. 

Go to that dudes twitter account I mentioned above if you want to see for yourself.  He is taping and posting much of practices.  @gbraggsjr

Wonder how long he can go before he gets noticed and shut down.  Not supposed to do that, but I appreciate it.  

Smith isn't signed still, Iyiegbuniwe (shoulder) and Trevathan (hamstring) are hurt.  Goes to show a position can empty in a hurry.  Lynch is hurt (hamstring),  That's just too many linebackers out.  

Tolliver is hurt (quad), bad timing for him.  

Can Bears get a little flexible?  Why are they always pulling muscles and tendons as soon as they start moving and running? Off season training isn't just lifting weights and nutrition.  Geez.  Stop being so tight, awesome your bench and squat went up, but we need you on the field and surviving inevitable awkward positions.   Why not look at what Brady or some other guys that have decade plus careers with few misses are doing with their own regimens to stay healthy?  Instead of getting pissy and terriotrial about it.

I worry about Smith coming into camp and having to go live right away or just being thrown in pre season game.  Good way to get hurt.

If you listen to the newest Hoge and Jahns podcast they will cool you off a little on the Kevin White news. They were talking about that his routes are still not great and he does not make a lot of contested or difficult catches.

But Weiderer and everyone seems to be super high on Anthony Miller, which is really nice news.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If you listen to the newest Hoge and Jahns podcast they will cool you off a little on the Kevin White news. They were talking about that his routes are still not great and he does not make a lot of contested or difficult catches.

But Weiderer and everyone seems to be super high on Anthony Miller, which is really nice news.

He doesn’t have to be GREAT at anything to have a role. Right now he’s a clear cut #4 WR. A limited player who can do some things but not everything is fine in that capacity, especially given our likelihood to be running a lot of multiple TE sets.

If all he’s gonna be good at for us in 2018 is drags and slants and other RAC type throws then that’s fine. It’s something. Yes that’s a low bar, but it’s one he can probably meet and make himself a viable asset for us, albeit a limited one. Even the biggest White advocates are past the point where they expect him to be an upper tier guy at some point. Right now I’m looking for him to be an asset of any kind, and it’s seeming like he may be that in what they’re asking him to do. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am LOVING the Miller hype. He’s clearly an alpha personality with that determination to kick his opponents *** every play, and I’m pumped to have a guy like that, not only to have him on the squad but because that attitude is contagious. 

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

I could see an argument made for Allen Robinson.

I'm excited about him. I still maintain we should have kept Meredith, but the depth and talent across the board is a beautiful thing for once.

How has Burton and Shaheen looked? I saw something about them spreading Shaheen out away from trips, but not sure if that is a distraction or essentially giving a strong advantage in the run game on one side.

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm excited about him. I still maintain we should have kept Meredith, but the depth and talent across the board is a beautiful thing for once.

How has Burton and Shaheen looked? I saw something about them spreading Shaheen out away from trips, but not sure if that is a distraction or essentially giving a strong advantage in the run game on one side.

Everything ive heard, the TEs all look good, particularly Burton, Shaheen, and Sims.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He doesn’t have to be GREAT at anything to have a role. Right now he’s a clear cut #4 WR. A limited player who can do some things but not everything is fine in that capacity, especially given our likelihood to be running a lot of multiple TE sets.

If all he’s gonna be good at for us in 2018 is drags and slants and other RAC type throws then that’s fine. It’s something. Yes that’s a low bar, but it’s one he can probably meet and make himself a viable asset for us, albeit a limited one. Even the biggest White advocates are past the point where they expect him to be an upper tier guy at some point. Right now I’m looking for him to be an asset of any kind, and it’s seeming like he may be that in what they’re asking him to do. 

I agree, but you also would like number 4 or 5 receiver to contribute on special teams.   If money wasnt already guaranteed I would say he was in real trouble right now.   He might still be given a new staff.  If they didnt have to pay White this year I think he would have been released and Meredith would have been resigned to a short deal with that money and extra even with the bad medical. 

I think they should have done that regardless.  

Archived