Training Camp 2018

Superman(DH23)

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

What's been your take on Long, in general? How's he looking? 

Honestly it’s so hard to evaluate interior OL in camp, especially since most practices aren’t as physical as the one today. When he’s been out there though, he does look agile and strong. I’m just not counting on him any longer. I fear- but hope I’m wrong- that his body is toast.

It is nice to see Mitch turning the corner and taking a step forward. The most important thing in camp is that he continues to take those steps.

New coach, new system, and new weapons, of course it is going to be work in progress.

7 hours ago, malagabears said:

Been checking online occasionaly but no end in sight to Smith's holdout. I reaĺly wonder how entrenched either side is. He still has a chance to be able to pkay opening day but he has to sign pretty quickly, like this week.

Kind of upsetting that when they asked Nagy a few days ago, his response was simply “no update.” Not only did I sense frustration but it peaked my curiosity because like you said, I’m starting to wonder how long this goes on.

If he’s still holding out after the Denver preseason game, I’ll be worried.

FWIW, Windy City Gridiron had a good article today based on the fact that this isn’t the first time Ro’s done this. When he flipped from UCLA to Georgia after NSD, he refused to sign his NOI immediately or something. It was interesting but the fact remains that he seems to consider himself a trail blazer it seems.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/8/7/17662420/chicago-bears-roquan-smith-holdout-set-precedents-college-ucla-national-letter-of-intent-nfl-2018

I think this agent is out to change the game for contracts and isn't going to budge.  I don't think we're seeing Roquan in the preseason, but that they'll sign before he starts losing regular game checks.   If he is anything less than oustanding when he finally takes the field, or get's hurt, I think fans, media and other players are going to crucify him.

Rookie contracts suck, and I think they should fight for every dime, but man oh man do I wish the "hill to die on" was up in Wisconsin!

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think this agent is out to change the game for contracts and isn't going to budge.  I don't think we're seeing Roquan in the preseason, but that they'll sign before he starts losing regular game checks.   If he is anything less than oustanding when he finally takes the field, or get's hurt, I think fans, media and other players are going to crucify him.

Rookie contracts suck, and I think they should fight for every dime, but man oh man do I wish the "hill to die on" was up in Wisconsin!

Yup, according to a Bernstein tweet the Bears are dug in and not budging. This is in the ugly phase now.

1 hour ago, malagabears said:

Yup, according to a Bernstein tweet the Bears are dug in and not budging. This is in the ugly phase now.

If the Bears aren't budging then the earliest we can expect Roquan back with the team is by week 1 when he starts losing his game checks for not being there.  If he doesn't cave by that point then we have a serious issue but at this point he has already missed most of camp so I can't even be stressed about this situation any longer.  Trevethan and Kwit are good options to have in the meantime until Ro gets up to speed with the defense.

42 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If the Bears aren't budging then the earliest we can expect Roquan back with the team is by week 1 when he starts losing his game checks for not being there.  If he doesn't cave by that point then we have a serious issue but at this point he has already missed most of camp so I can't even be stressed about this situation any longer.  Trevethan and Kwit are good options to have in the meantime until Ro gets up to speed with the defense.

I have tweeted both Aaron Leming and Robert Zeglinski asking their thoughts on a swap of Smith's rights and our 2019 3rd for Mack. Throwing major **** at the wall but why not.

18 minutes ago, malagabears said:

I have tweeted both Aaron Leming and Robert Zeglinski asking their thoughts on a swap of Smith's rights and our 2019 3rd for Mack. Throwing major **** at the wall but why not.

I would do that deal all day, and not because Smith is holding out but because that would instantly make this defense much better.

I'm glad the Bears are sticking to their guns on this one. CCA are notorious A-holes, but that doesn't mean Roquan Smith has to be their pawn.

Looking at how he handled "signing day" in college, I'm beyond confident that he's 100% okay with this BS.

As of 8/9/18: **** Roquan Smith.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Are Iyiegbuniwe and Toliver hurt? Not sure I had super high hopes for either but Iggy was a 4th round pick and Toliver was the talk of OTA’s

Iggy just got back on the practice field after an injury in the last few days if I recall correctly. 

Archived