Sharp Objects (HBO)

BobbyPhil1781

watched episode one last night. Its not my usual fair, but it engrossed me pretty quickly. The character dynamics were great and they quickly showed you who each character was and in relation to one another. Also the cinematography was fire

Really like it. The acting is great, and the filming is amazing. I already have my theory on the killer, see below:

Both victims families are referred to as 'outsiders' that are not active in the community. IMO the killer is weeding out people that don't fit into the cohesion of a perfect small southern town. It could be a number of killers working together to achieve this goal IMO. Her stepdad is almost too obviously a maniac, so I actually hope he isn't involved. Too telegraphed.

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Both victims families are referred to as 'outsiders' that are not active in the community. IMO the killer is weeding out people that don't fit into the cohesion of a perfect small southern town. It could be a number of killers working together to achieve this goal IMO. Her stepdad is almost too obviously a maniac, so I actually hope he isn't involved. Too telegraphed.

I think its the mom

^ I hope not Deadpules. That seems too easy as well. I think it may be the 'cool' drunken friend that is always  buddy-buddy with Amy Adams. I hope its a conspiracy though and not a single killer. The mom does make sense, possibly too much sense. I just really want a deep dive into an underworld in the vein of True Detective but I think it may be a more traditional mystery with a single killer. Regardless, the acting and filming will keep me coming back for more.

23 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I just really want a deep dive into an underworld in the vein of True Detective but I think it may be a more traditional mystery with a single killer.

I havent read the book, but I believe the source material at least is less about the murders and more about the character and her reflection of personal trauma in the events around her. 

So what did we learn last episode? Camille likes to drink.... known that. Why do they keep cutting to her buying booze and showing her drink her "water" like 8 times an episode? Her sister is rebellious, knew that. He family sucks in general, knew that. She's a cutter, knew that. She kinda made buddies w/ the FBI agent. That's new. She likes chicks, knew that. I guess we learned where she got the busted iPod and how she became to like music.

Maybe I missed something b/c the hour sure did go by fast lol. I fear this show is going to bore me after a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mind is blown no one is talking about this on here. It was a slow season but there were enough bread crumbs to keep me intrigued. I'm so happy I stuck with it because the season finale was jaw dropping. It got pretty twisted and creepy at times, very unique show. Amy Adams will and should get all the awards in the world. 

The last episode was great. IDK if I loved the show overall, but it was refreshingly different. Everything from the story development to pace to filming, just a whole heap of 'different'. And that's nice, but it also wasn't quite enough to make me really hungry for more. I finished it all, and agree Amy deserves all the award, but despite how much I applaud it creatively and technically, its not my favorite and likely wont watch it again.

I think I'm so impressed for a few reasons...

1.) TV (more so lately) has me captivated where time flies and you never touch your phone. My wife and I at the same exact time questioned "how long is this episode" praying it was an hour and a half.

2.) *SPOILERS* - There were moments throughout where I knew something was off with Amma and I just couldn't get there with her being the killer.  So many clues pointing it towards a woman, they point you to the mom and it was the perfect diversion. Looking back it made so much sense it was Amma, she was sacrificing by letting her mom poison her. No one else in her twisted mind deserved her attention. 

3.) *SPOILERS* - A couple powerful scenes. Adams starring daggers into the moms soul at dinner. The perfect "you killed my sister face". Then the end when Amma walks in with her playing with the tooth, confusion and horror. Just a great and great is tough to find these days. 

Glad I stuck through it also. There were like 3 episodes where literally nothing was done to progress the story or lead to more clues. Maybe I'll need to watch it again to see if there's something knowing the outcome but I doubt I'll go back through it. I did see the mid-credits scene but I think I missed the post-credits. Gonna go look for that now. I know there was something b/c a buddy of mine stated how he was dumbfounded that people were confused lol. They definitely didn't watch past the ending scene. Loved the way the "don't tell mama" then "cut" was done. This show was edited for perfectly! Overall, I'd give the show a B-/C+ but it was a strong F before the final two episodes.

Archived