Rams give Brandin Cooks 5 year extension

RamRod

Those who don’t get why Cooks was signed before Donald, it was planned. The Rams wanted to extend Cooks first to help raise their cap space some to help fit in Donald contract extension. It will get done. The Rams haven’t forgotten about him. They just wanted to do Cooks extension fitst for cap reasons. 

I wouldn't be too worried they have cap room to work with next year and a lot the year after. 

Yeah they do have to resign Aaron Donald, Marcus Peters, LaMarcus Joyner, and Todd Gurley, and Goff by 2020, they should have enough money to do that, but I don't think they'll be able to resign them and be able to afford Suh after this season. 

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

I wouldn't be too worried they have cap room to work with next year and a lot the year after. 

Yeah they do have to resign Aaron Donald, Marcus Peters, LaMarcus Joyner, and Todd Gurley, and Goff by 2020, they should have enough money to do that, but I don't think they'll be able to resign them and be able to afford Suh after this season. 

I don’t think Suh will be back unless he takes a massive pay cut or the Rams FO work their magic. I think Suh signed for one year to get back on track and show he is just as dominant as even Donald which he will be playing next too. Remember he was cut by the Dolphins so he got a bad rap for maybe he was a bad locker room guy, he was lazy, etc... If Suh has a dominant season he will get his last big payday from another team next offseason.

25 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Those who don’t get why Cooks was signed before Donald, it was planned. The Rams wanted to extend Cooks first to help raise their cap space some to help fit in Donald contract extension. It will get done. The Rams haven’t forgotten about him. They just wanted to do Cooks extension fitst for cap reasons. 

That doesn't make sense, both contracts expire this year. By giving Cooks any money next year isn't going to lower their cap space to sign Donald to an extension which also starts next year. Cooks was probably just easier which makes sense, he is a good player who has had the privilege of playing for two all time greats and probably has statistically peaked because I don't think Goff will be as WR friendly as Brees or even Brady. Donald will break the bank.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I don't think $14.6m aav is that amazing for Cooks?

It's good #1 WR money, not great.

Yeah I'd say it's fine. I don't think he would have gotten more elsewhere though. I think Cooks is a pretty average #1

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I don't think $14.6m aav is that amazing for Cooks?

Thank you.  Cooks is barely a top 10 receiver if that, and he got the exact same extension as DeAndre Hopkins, the one guy in the league that can actually be argued anywhere near the same tier as Antonio Brown and Julio Jones.  I was baffled when I saw that they extended him before he even played a game.  They did the same thing with Nick Foles and look how that worked out

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

That doesn't make sense, both contracts expire this year. By giving Cooks any money next year isn't going to lower their cap space to sign Donald to an extension which also starts next year. Cooks was probably just easier which makes sense, he is a good player who has had the privilege of playing for two all time greats and probably has statistically peaked because I don't think Goff will be as WR friendly as Brees or even Brady. Donald will break the bank.

I don’t pretend to be a person who knows cap situations but the Rams are great when it comes to managing the cap so if the reports were that’s the plan then I believe it. 

29 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I don’t pretend to be a person who knows cap situations but the Rams are great when it comes to managing the cap so if the reports were that’s the plan then I believe it. 

Well it could have been reported but it still makes no sense. It isn't like a player is restructuring their deal to help free up current year money for a team grab a free agent, Donald and Cooks are making what they are making this year and neither were under contract next year so paying Cooks for next year doesn't free up any money for next year to help sign Donald it takes money away from next year, not saying it will hurt them either but they will have to make some tough decisions most likely. I'm not a cap person either really but it's easy to look at them both as free agents next year and saying that signing one free agent helps make room to sign another free agent just doesn't add up. There may have been a caveat to their thought process that didn't get passed along but it doesn't really matter what it is, signing Cooks first only helps if Donald would rather sign with Cooks already signed.

Archived