Rams give Brandin Cooks 5 year extension

RamRod

34 minutes ago, El ramster said:

People here still doubting what Mcbabe can do? 

Hes gonna put up numbers. And look at what Sammy Watkins was paid. This deal could be a steal for the rams! 6 years boys not just 5 

5 year extension, he was already under contract for this year. so 16 per for after this year. Which put him exactly where Watkins is.

38 minutes ago, Danger said:

I wouldn't call this a steal, Cooks essentially got market value, even if market value may be in some sort of bubble for WRs. 

Everything will go up. And I agree that he’s not a great #1 but Goff spreads it around like cray. Our number one Wr is also our best back ?

Re: packers fans above, if Adams is the point of comparison, this is a good deal.

I'd rather have Brandin Cooks than Davante Adams, and I'm a big fresno state guy, and Adams went to my high school...

I'd like to think this is a good deal for a guy like Cooks who can consistently take the top off a defense and is only 24 years old. He has room to grow as well...

43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:
4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah I'd say it's fine. I don't think he would have gotten more elsewhere though. I think Cooks is a pretty average #1

Two words: Sammy Watkins.

They both got 16 per Cooks just got 2 more years. Watkins is coming off his worst year statistically and Cooks too if you don't count his rookie season.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Re: packers fans above, if Adams is the point of comparison, this is a good deal.

I'd rather have Brandin Cooks than Davante Adams, and I'm a big fresno state guy, and Adams went to my high school...

I'd like to think this is a good deal for a guy like Cooks who can consistently take the top off a defense and is only 24 years old. He has room to grow as well...

Just wait now that Nelson is gone. His last 16 games he had 1100 yards and 13TDs with Rodgers as a #2. He's got some special traits.

They're bringing back Goff and Donald, that's a given. I would've probably ranked Cooks #4 out of Peters, Joyner, Gurley and Cooks. Scary team for the short term that's for sure.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:
4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Yeah I'd say it's fine. I don't think he would have gotten more elsewhere though. I think Cooks is a pretty average #1

Two words: Sammy Watkins.

I think Sammy Watkins is a much more complete and valuable receiver than Cooks. Watkins was still a little overpaid

28 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I think Sammy Watkins is a much more complete and valuable receiver than Cooks. Watkins was still a little overpaid

But based on what though?  I think cooks has had the superior career and been the better player, and he's not the injury risk. Watkins had been a pretty huge disappointment so far in his career in my opinion. I think people have been holding on too much to what they thought of him as a prospect. 

I get that people may want to use Buffalo for three years as an excuse, and there may be some merit to that, especially when cooks has had Brees and Brady, but watkins has been pretty meh so far in his career. Including last year for a strong offense. He had some nice plays here and there, but once again I felt was largely underwhelming. 

When it comes to an aav perspective, I think I'd rather pay cooks than Watkins. Obviously length of contract factors into things, but on a strictly aav basis give me cooks

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Just wait now that Nelson is gone. His last 16 games he had 1100 yards and 13TDs with Rodgers as a #2. He's got some special traits.

They're bringing back Goff and Donald, that's a given. I would've probably ranked Cooks #4 out of Peters, Joyner, Gurley and Cooks. Scary team for the short term that's for sure.

I like Adams. I really do. But he needs to prove it more than he has to this point. He's a redzone threat for sure and is dynamic after the catch, but his numbers have been pretty mediocre for a guy being paid like a top 5 receiver (and I know what you will say and I don't disagree). Not saying he won't earn his deal, but the Packers are banking purely on what he CAN do.

Yes, he will be the focal point and I anticipate jumps in yardage, etc. But a big part of that is that he's playing with arguably the most talented quarterback in the game. I may take major heat for this right now, but I can't really say Adams is a significantly better receiver than Amari Cooper, situation, talent, and production being factors, and my forum would eat me alive if our GM/me offered Amari Davante's deal right now.

Cooks has produced every year since his rookie year and has consistently taken the top off of defenses and I think improved teams' run games as a result. I think I just value deep threats more in this league, as I think it opens up underneath passing so much. Yes, Cooks played with Brees and Brady, but I don't know if any qb elevates his receivers like Rodgers does.

I have no doubt that Adams will outproduce Cooks with Rodgers as his qb vs. Goff, but I think right now, Cooks is the superior player.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well it could have been reported but it still makes no sense. It isn't like a player is restructuring their deal to help free up current year money for a team grab a free agent, Donald and Cooks are making what they are making this year and neither were under contract next year so paying Cooks for next year doesn't free up any money for next year to help sign Donald it takes money away from next year, not saying it will hurt them either but they will have to make some tough decisions most likely. I'm not a cap person either really but it's easy to look at them both as free agents next year and saying that signing one free agent helps make room to sign another free agent just doesn't add up. There may have been a caveat to their thought process that didn't get passed along but it doesn't really matter what it is, signing Cooks first only helps if Donald would rather sign with Cooks already signed.

Again I’m just going off reports and the Rams are great at managing the cap and being creative with it. So if the plan was to extend Cooks first then Donald then I’m ok with that. At the end of the day they’ve said from day 1 they have Donald money. Sometimes it’s a process that won’t happen right this second. Donald will get done trust me. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

But based on what though?  I think cooks has had the superior career and been the better player, and he's not the injury risk. Watkins had been a pretty huge disappointment so far in his career in my opinion. I think people have been holding on too much to what they thought of him as a prospect. 

I get that people may want to use Buffalo for three years as an excuse, and there may be some merit to that, especially when cooks has had Brees and Brady, but watkins has been pretty meh so far in his career. Including last year for a strong offense. He had some nice plays here and there, but once again I felt was largely underwhelming. 

When it comes to an aav perspective, I think I'd rather pay cooks than Watkins. Obviously length of contract factors into things, but on a strictly aav basis give me cooks

I like Cooks more than Watkins too but I don't know if I'd be thrilled to give either of them #1 money. If you have it, spend it much like the Browns did with Landry but if you have other big contracts coming up I'd be a little less enthusiastic about the contract. We still have to see how everyone fits in their roles before we know if they are overpaid though. I think Brees was the perfect QB for Cooks I don't think he will ever be as effective as he was then but most receivers aren't. It certainly has been the year of the slot receiver.

Archived